XxFruitsyxX

Default Why is my pee cloudy and smelly?

OK I know its a gross question! But its true, sometimes now my pee is cloudy looking. But its almost always bad smelling. I get urinalysis' done every month and my doctor hasnt said anything was out of the ordinary. So has anyone else had this? Or does anyone know the cause? There is no pain or anything so a UTI is doubtful...

Thanks

Usually cloudy foul smelling urine is signs of UTI. It's classic presentation. Make sure you mention it to your doctor. I would call them and let them know soon. Are you having urinalysis done at the doc's office or through a lab. When you pee in a cup at your doctor's appointments, they are basically just checking for protien and glucose in your urine. They would not be able to detect any bacteria. I'm a nurse and have had patients admitted to the hospital because they did not have a clue that they had a bladder infection, and it spread up to their kidneys. You definately want to get it checked out!! A UTI is much easier to treat than pyelonephritis (kidney infection).
    Me(32), DH Chris(30)
    Married 7/8/00
    DD Ella Nicole born 1/28/08!!!

DS Seth Thomas born 7/29/09

Mommy to Kenna and Zoey Headyfeady3's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree, also have you been checked for GD. Sometimes GD can make your urine smelly. Most likely it is a UTI, you dont want to mess with that. Some ladies that are PG dont have the same symptoms with UTIs. I would just call the DR and pee in a cup to be sure. If that is not what it is at least you know.
    Heather
    Mckenna 5/6/09 6 lbs 8 ozs 18" long
    Zoey 10/8/10 8 lbs 3 ozs 20 " long
    Ava 4/4/12 7 lbs 15 ozs 22.5 " long

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Definetly get checked for a UTI. They can feel alot different during pg.
    Mary Jo
    Married 9/28/2002
    Clomid Never O'd
    DX PCOS 3/2008
    4/2008 started Met 1500mg *BFP 6/7/2008*
    1/27/09 Carrie Elizabeth Is Here! 5lb 8oz 18.5in

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

I had a UTI a couple weeks and my urinalysis was always negative they had to do a urine culture which takes 2-3 days for results but it gave us the right answer.

Thanks

Have you been losing weight? Sometimes, weight loss is also associated with smellier urine (and sweat, too).

XxFruitsyxX

I havent been tested for GD and my doctor cant see me till Dec 29. He also doesnt take phone questions and is booked till the 29th. Should I check my blood glucose on my own?

Mommy to Kenna and Zoey Headyfeady3's Avatar
    Thanks

Can you call your primary care DR. You dont want to wait that long if you do have a UTI. You can check you BS on you own, the best time to check it is in the AM before ANY food or drink. I am not sure that the BS is as big a deal as the UTI.
    Heather
    Mckenna 5/6/09 6 lbs 8 ozs 18" long
    Zoey 10/8/10 8 lbs 3 ozs 20 " long
    Ava 4/4/12 7 lbs 15 ozs 22.5 " long

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Shrink that bahookie!!!!! MontanaMama's Avatar
    Thanks

I have the same problem, turns out to be a uti. I first noticed the smell, then the color/cloudiness even after drinking a lot of water. I didn't really have a burning sensation, but did develop a slight cramp around the opening of the urethra when finishing up, and a feeling of needing to pee just after doing so. 2 days after being on antibiotics no smell and back to normal color. You should call, go to a clinic if you have to. Good luck
    Kristina- 38 & Trace- 51~ 12.31.02
    Hayden Thomas 08.10.04- all natural & Grace Caroline 06.16.09- c-sect, breech
    Losses:Eden Elizabeth @ 17 weeks- 02.01.08
    5 wks 09.07

Registered User nancysbutterfly's Avatar
    Thanks

I have the same problem every morning... my pee is almost orange and smells... kind of like farts (sorry, can't think of any other way to describe it).. this happens at least 5 out of 7 mornings. I was checked a couple times for UTI but it was negative (I don't think they cultured it, though). To the original poster, when you say it smells bad can you be more descriptive... like, does it smell like "farts" or a sweet smell (a sweet odor is indicative of ketones in your urine, usually associated with diabetes).
    Nancy Hidden Content 's Mark
    Julianna Liberty-Grace W. arrived 4/22/9
    (6lb 5 oz, 19.5 in long)
    EDD: 4/21/09

Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass 3/06

XxFruitsyxX

I dont even know how to describe the smell. Its been going on for over a month tho. I think I could say it smells like farts or it smells sweet. Its really hard to classify. When I called the doctor about it his receptionist said they test my urine every visit to make sure there is no infection or glucose in it. Then she told me to bring it up at my next appt if I was still worried. Helpful hey? Should I start drinking cranberry juice?

Thanks

my dr said cranberry pills are ok to take also, they have them at walmart they're called AZO, to help prevent uti's... I think they also have tests you can buy at stores to see if you have an infection not sure if it's yeast or urinary though...