Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default Inositol for PCOS (not DCI)

I have just come across this article http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._9/ai_n6228191 Effects of inositol on ovarian function and metabolic factors in women with PCOS: a randomized double blind placebo-controlled trial published in Alternative Medicine Review, Sept, 2004 by S. Gerli, M. Mignosa, G.C. Di Renzo
    which concludes that "
    These data support a beneficial effect of inositol in improving ovarian function in women with oligomenorrhea and polycystic ovaries."

There seems to be such a big fuss over the horrendously expensive and difficult to source d-chiro inositol (DCI) but not so much over this far more common, easily available and more economical option.

Has anyone tried plain inositol? If so, what experiences have you had with it?

Thanks

I'm actually taking the plain, widely available Choline-Inositol (500mg 2 to 3x's a day). It's only been a week so I don't know if there's been much in the way of effects just yet. I am noticing not being quite as hungry and what feels like more eve blood sugar throughout the day, though. Since I haven't added anything else, I can probably attribute that to the Inositol.

If no one else chimes in with experiences, I'll be sure to try and update on my success (or lack there of) while I'm on it.
    Me + DH = Oliver (5/1/10)
    #2 EDD October 2013!!
    Metformin XR (2000mg/day)
    June - Soy 160mg CD3-7 BFN/long cycle
    July - Soy 80mg CD 3-7 BFN/32d cycle
    August - November - OFF
    December - Soy 160mg CD 3-7 BFN/28d cycle
    January - 2000mg Metformin - SURPRISE BFP!

Hidden Content

Thanks

Well that's gotta be a good thing, right? I'd love to hear how you get on. I took an inositol powder for however long it took me to go through the little container when I first heard about it, before I read everything thoroughly and realised it was DCI in the studies (at that point), but didn't really notice anything. Perhaps it wasn't long enough, or perhaps I was just too busy to notice whatever it did.

Thanks

So I wanted to take a couple of minutes to give an update on my experience (thus far) with the Choline Inositol.

As a reference my dosage has been:
    500mg of Inositol 2 to 3x's a day before or at the start of meals and at bedtime
    (NOTE: I usually take it before breakfast, with dinner and then before bed - I don't always eat lunch due to my currently weird schedule)

Since I started it on December 10th, I've started noticing measurable changes.

The first, and most celebrated one is that my 4 months of spotting has finally come to an end! My experience in this regard is that a few days after starting I began having heavier flow, which lasted from about the 13th until the 23rd. Not normal by a long shot, but it progressively got heavier and 'steadier' during that time until finally stopping completely. I've got to say, it's the BEST Christmas present I could have gotten Since it stopped I haven't even had my normal traces of spotting which is so weird for me. Granted, I'm taking it one day at a time since I've had times where it's stopped and come right back. Of course, I've already beat the longest time by about 2 days!

The second thing I've noticed, which is just amazing to me, is that I'm steadily losing weight, without making major changes in my diet/activity levels. While taking the Inositol I haven't been as hungry as usual, save for a few days where I was absolutely STARVING. I have noticed that I will get more sweets cravings, but nothing that isn't manageable and couldn't be handled more effectively with healthier sweets in the house. I'm not sure how much weight I've lost since starting, but I do know that since I started weighing myself, I've dropped about 5lbs. I think the nice thing about seeing the weight loss on the scale is that it will help motivate me to be a little better with my eating (I'm already pretty healthy with it - just need to cut down portion sizes) and help me get more active (which is the hardest and most painful thing for me).

Overall, I'm feeling very good on the Inositol and I'm glad I took the initiative and picked some up. I'll definitely be continuing with it, despite my doctor's lack of faith in herbal/alternative remedies.
    Last edited by lexibelle; 12-28-2008 at 02:51 PM.
    #2 EDD October 2013!!
    August - November - OFF

Hidden Content

Thanks

Wow that is good to hear! I just got a bottle of CHoline/Inositol 200 mg each, but it says to take only once daily. Do you think taking it 3 times a day would be okay? I learn so much on this forum!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BeauSoleil View Post
    Wow that is good to hear! I just got a bottle of CHoline/Inositol 200 mg each, but it says to take only once daily. Do you think taking it 3 times a day would be okay? I learn so much on this forum!
    Are the pills 200mg of Inositol? The reason I ask, is the Choline and Inositol will be in different amounts.

Anyway, at only 200mg each, to get the best results, I'd suggest taking them a minimum of 3'x a day. I'd even suggest doubling the dose to 2 pills 2 to 3x's a day, if you find that you're not having any side effects (I haven't had any myself - but I always warn against them. You never know how they'll effect each individual).

The pills I have are 250mg and to get the most benefit, I take 2 pills before or at the beginning of every meal.

Really, the one thing to watch is how much of the Choline you're getting. As long as you're not getting more than 3000mg/day, you're in the safe zone.
    #2 EDD October 2013!!
    August - November - OFF

Hidden Content

Thanks

I just wanted to post a quick update

I'm still using the Choline and Inositol and think I may have just had my first 'normal' AF in over a year. After about 20 days of not spotting (THANK GOD!), I started in again but it was heavy, normal-flow type of bleeding. Now, 6 days later it looks like it's gone (I even exercised this AM and nothing!).

I really, really, really credit this to regulating my diet in addition to taking the Choline & Inositol. At this point, those two are definitely *my* personal 'magic bullets'.

I can't wait to see what happens with the weight loss when I add the Met XR (at my doctor's orders because my insulin levels are way out of whack) into the mix starting next week!
    #2 EDD October 2013!!
    August - November - OFF

Hidden Content

Thanks

Hi Lexibelle,

I am so happy for you, that is fantastic news!! Gosh... who'd have thought a simple period would be cause for such jubilation... "normal" women don't know how lucky they are

If you want a natural alternative to Metformin you could try taking Chromium and Gymnema and even Cinnamon - all have been proven to lower blood sugar and reduce IR. There is also an ayurvedic formula called Hyponidd which has been proven in a double blind peer reviewed study to be equally as effective as Metformin. I took Metformin for a couple of months and had quite a few side effects from it and ALSO this was when I REALLY started to gain weight in those charming 5kg - 10kg in a month bursts with no good reason for it that we are all so familiar with. I truly wish that I hadn't taken it and will always wonder if it is the reason I have put on so much weight. I know this sounds illogical, but prior to taking Met, I could, with great difficulty, maintain a normal-ish weight. I have since put on 30kg. Anyway, if you are interested in alternatives to Metformin, PM me, I'd be happy to help.
    Thx! I wanna collect some good karma, if u like my post can u click on the middle of 3 icons in the bottom L corner of my post? Thx Hidden Content

Soulcysters, I'd love your input into the following polls to try and find out more about PCOS:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

belrose: Thank you for the suggestions - I've actually taken chromium and cinnamon in the past, as well as Metformin. I think I'm one of the rare people who only had any side effects caused by the Met when I ate certain things (oatmeal was the main one). Otherwise it never upset my stomach or caused any other problems unless I took it and didn't eat right away.

I want to give it another shot (and feel comfortable doing so) just to see if I get better results (last time it helped me maintain and stop gaining) now that I'm focusing on diet and exercise, along with taking my current supplements. If I notice that I'm feeling worse or gaining weight, I'll definitely be speaking with my doctor about alternatives.
    #2 EDD October 2013!!
    August - November - OFF

Hidden Content

Thanks

I'm glad Metformin worked for you Lexibelle, and best of luck with trying it again in conjunction with your exercise and supplement program, I really hope it works.

All the best!
    Thx! I wanna collect some good karma, if u like my post can u click on the middle of 3 icons in the bottom L corner of my post? Thx Hidden Content

Soulcysters, I'd love your input into the following polls to try and find out more about PCOS:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

marking my spot

Thanks

Just wanted to do another quick update.

Since starting the Inositol (along with Choline) my weight is still decreasing at a reasonable rate (generally 1-3lbs per week).

More importantly, AF just showed up - 28 days after the last time she visited

This hasn't happened in over three years - I'm personally amazed and impressed, though the timing really sucks (lots of bad things going on in my life right now - don't really need to be hormonal on top of it...).

Just thought I'd update though since this is a huge breakthrough for me. Even when I was on Met for 6 months I never had more than on AF. I can now attribute 2 since starting the Inositol/Choline combination.
    #2 EDD October 2013!!
    August - November - OFF

Hidden Content

Thanks

Hi Lexibelle, Thanks for the update. That is amazingly fantastic news!!! Congratulations and Well Done!! I am so happy for you, that is just grand.

I haven't been taking any inositol recently (though you've inspired me to go get some more), but I have lost 3 kg (6.6lb) and I think it might be because I've been eating soya lecithin, 57 g or half a cup of which contains 1200mg DCI and ALSO taking 30ml Apple Cider Vinegar 3 x day before meals. They've done clinical studies which showed that it was as good as metformin for blood sugar control and IR! I've also been doing castor oil packs which, while it hasn't brought on AF yet (it's been 3.5 years since she last visited properly) has caused some discharge, brown at first, now some bright red. So fingers crossed.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I've been taking 5mg of inositol powder 2x a day since November. I added 200 mcg caplets of Chrome-mate in December. The good news is I've lost Almost 20lbs since then. I havent seen much results as far as my AF goes. I spotted for 4 days at the end of November, but didnt see anything again until last week when a spotted for only 2 days. This is good progress in my case since I hadnt had an AF since I went off birth control in May. I think I might switch to the choline-inositol tablets after reading your posts.

P.S. AF means menstrual cycle right?

Thanks

bumping this up for more responses :-)
    Debby-30, loves Cory-29, mama to a sweet and sassy 7 year old, Molly (6/2006) Hidden Content
    and Baby Henry, born September 18th, 2013!

Hidden Content