Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Smile Will taking thyroid pills make me lose weight?

Hi, my blood test says my thyroid is only a bit weak, so my doctor put me on spiro to see if it will make my thyroid stop being stupid.. I'm supposed to see him again in february. He says if my thyroid is still not normal then he'll put me on thyroid pills (hopefully armour). I'll be getting a blood test before i go to him. Heehee can't wait! So I was wonderiiiing if taking thyroid pills will MAKE me lose weight.. not just make it easier to do it. I do have a really hard time losing weight by myself

Thanks

Well I had a partial hysterectomy in May and have since then started exercising and eating healthier. I was getting better and having more energy then I felt like I was having similiar symptoms again. The doc told me taking a thyroid med will HELP with weight loss. I've lost 12 lbs on my own since April. No doubt some med will help you too.
    Jan

Thanks

I don't think it will MAKE you lose weight but it may help. A healthy way of eating and exercise are keys to losing the weight. I have been on synthroid for over a year and until I starting exercizing lately and eating better not a single pound budged. Except a 6 lb. met loss.

Ruler of Rainbowland Rainbow Brite's Avatar
    Thanks

I've gained 2 pounds since starting Levoxyl. Haven't lost anything
    ME = 29, DH = 25
    5'6" / 128lbs
    Dx: PCOS, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Rx: Levoxyl 75mcg

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks ^_^

Thanks

I don't think thryoid pills make you loose weight. I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism a year and half ago and have been on 50mg synthroid daily - it didn't affect my weight in any way. I have also been diagnosed with a mild case of pcos about 2 months ago and have been taking 500mg metformin twice daily - and that did help me lose about 5 lbs so far. I'm not saying you should take metformin to lose weight - the healthy way is to have a proper diet and exercise atleast half hour daily.
    Me 28, DH 30, ttc since 08/2007
    First angel baby 10/2007
    Second angel baby 08/2008
    First IUI 12/28/08 (with 50mg clomid cd5 - 9, ovidrel) - BFN

500mg Metformin twice daily
    50mg Synthroid once daily
    Prenatals

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Like the PP's mentioned, it won't make you lose weight, but it will help better metabolize the food you take in so you hopefully won't gain more weight (or at least gain it more slowly). And again in agreement with the others, only a sound diet and good exercise will encourage the pounds to come off. However, the nice thing about getting your thyroid levels evened out is that you should have more energy- which makes the exercise thing that much easier! :-)
    "Women are meant to be loved, not understood" - Oscar Wilde

~ We are never given more than we can't handle! ~

Me (27) Hidden Content My Man (27) | Mopar Hidden Content , Sylvia Hidden Content , Ben Hidden Content

Thanks

The first time I was put on snythroid I lost 30 lbs without trying. The bad part is every time my dose has been upped since then (3x) I haven't lost a pound.
    Me: 24 Hidden Content DH:25
    Married since 12/08, Est. 2006
    TTC #1 since 12/08 battling PCOS, Hypothyroidism, IR, HSD3B Enzyme Deficiency (Hubby = Perfect though!)
    05/10 - 08/10- 4 rounds of clomid, up to 200, no O, bfn. Clomid resistant Hidden Content 2011- break
    2012- taking control naturally (thanks to no IF Insurance)
    Current Meds: Metformin 2,000/DCI 2,100/Vit D3 5,000iu/synthroid .137/Fertilaid/Circle+Bloom/Low GI Diet

Thanks

Here's the thing...
    If you suffer from Hypothyroidism, and take enough medication to become Hyper...you will lose weight. HOWEVER, and it's a big however, you put your health at risk and it will take a huge toll on your heart. Is losing weight worth having a heart attack??? I would hope that everyone would say no to that question.
    It should however make it easier to lose weight in the sense that if you feel sluggish...you are less likely to work out. Controlling the symptoms with sensible choices can definately be a huge help.

Now here's my story. I live in Canada in an Igloo...well I might as well based on the health care that I have received for my Thyroid.
    When I was 23 I gained alot of weight. Almost 100 pounds. All the doctors told me that it was PCOS and that there wasn't a heck of alot that I could do in my situation. For the next 5 years I started to obtain copies of my lab results and started to discover that my TSH was anywhere from 3.5-9 and progressively conitinued to get worse as the years went by. I went from doctor to doctor begging to have someone follow up with me regarding my thyroid. Not one doctor would recognize the "new" reference ranges and I was sent on my way. When I moved across the country, I found a new doctor. I lied and said I was on Synthroid. It was a minimal dose but all of a sudden, I didn't feel so fatigued, I begged her to follow up and since my TSH results were still within the Canadian standards (3-5), she refused to up my medication dose. From there I met with a RE that was 7 hours from my place that I could only get to by boat but he was the man that put two and two together. He followed up with more testing as I played dumb, and sure enough my Antithyroid antibodies were 3X the maximum they should have been. I was then diagnosed with Hashimotos and have since obtained an ultrasound from 2001 that stated that I have nodules too. We upped my dose of Synthroid and decreased it and upped it again as my TSH decided to go on rollercoaster ride of levels from Hypo to Hyper & back again.
    So lying to my doctor...was the smartest thing I ever did because I still wouldn't be treated as far as the doctors are concerned.

Anyways...
    Two years ago when I started Synthroid I also started working on weightloss with the help of Meridia. A year ago I stopped taking Meridia and for a couple months limited my caloric intake to 1000 calories a day. I lost a total of about 90 pounds. I have kept it off even while picking up some bad eatting habbits. Although I am definately more muscular now than I was way back when so I can live with not losing the entire 100 pounds I originally gained.
    Looking bad...all weight loss attempts prior to having my thyroid treated were unsuccessful. Also when my TSH levels are "happy"(as I call it) my body works as it should. I have never, ever ovulated on my own but after many consecutive months of my TSH level being 2.0 I had 5 consecutive cycles. Unfortunately something changed and my TSH levels went back up. My periods stopped.
    Every endocrinologist I have seen says that as long as I am between 3-5, I am ok. I have even played with my dose enough to get periods since and yet, I can't find anyone to ok a small increase of Synthroid.
    For some reason the doctors up here are inept morons that refuse to accept change including the "new reference ranges" that were implemented in the U.S. years ago.
    I wanted to share the fact that I did lose weight, much more easily when I had my thyroid controlled and like I mentioned have even managed to keep it off...so far anyways.

Good Luck!

Thanks

BeetleGirl, have you had any side effects from the synthroid?
    Milly 31/ DH 32
    married for 8 years
    1st Round Femara BFP 11/6/09
    DD Born 6/26/10

Thanks

Totally forgot about this thread.. My doctor put me on synthroid today! but i'll have to go back if i feel my heart racing I am so happy..more energy is exactly what I need

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Milly411 View Post
    I don't think it has side effects because it's what your body makes

Thanks

Squishy, you said that you will have to go back to the doctor if you heart starts to race, does synthroid make your heart race, or is that something with the dosage?
    Milly 31/ DH 32
    married for 8 years
    1st Round Femara BFP 11/6/09
    DD Born 6/26/10

Thanks

No side effects from the Synthroid itself.
    However in the past when I have gone from hyper to hypo and back again....I definately could tell my thyroid wasn't happy.

Thanks

Squishy, you said that you will have to go back to the doctor if you heart starts to race, does synthroid make your heart race, or is that something with the dosage?
    Sorry I'm not really sure. he only told me to come back because my blood pressure is 120/90