Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

BeetleGirl- Just so you dont think its just Canada...........there are a lot of doctors in the US who dont recognize the new TSH ranges either!!!!

This is Dad's 1st baby! 36&Prego's Avatar
    Thanks

in theory it's suppose to help regulate your thyroid which will then regulate your metabolism but I wouldn't use it if you don't need it because being overactive is more dangerous.

Thanks

much of the pcos-hypo info is confusing and i feel kinda hopeless. we know pcos, ir and hypothyroidism can be connected....or not, which is fine. BUT i've read that metformin allows the body to react to food better which deals with ir. correct?
    the levothyroxine lowers your tsh therefore helping hormones normalize. correct?

well, we gained the weight BECAUSE of these issues. CAUSE: hormonal leves and ir issues = weight gain EFFECT: take met and levo= weight loss. NOT! weight loss is not one size fits all. doesn't make sense. some people even gain weight!

i have pcos and hypo and meds seem to make things worse. exercise makes me feel like dead lady walking. even very, very light exercise kills me. doing 15 push-ups wipe me out. i have an eleptical and i can stay on forever even at the highest settings but as i stated before, it wipes me out.

when i eat, i get soooo sleepy and tired. it doesn't matter what type of food i eat. for example at times i eat fish with or without a carb. a few pieces of beef with tomatoe, 5 egg whites with a slice of cheese and 1/4 cup old fashioned oats. it does'nt matter, it makes me tired and sleepy.

my daily meds:

1000mg - 15000mg reg. metformin started 4-02-09
    .25 mcg levothyroxine started 3-17-09
    1 28 mg gentle iron glycinate pill started 3-17-09 (stopped because it made me feel more tired.
    3 biotin pills started 3-17-09

of course i'm giving it more time but the meds making things worse is crazy.

Thanks

Will taking thyroid pills make me lose weight?
    Sorry to tell you, they sure didn't make me lose weight.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleGirl View Post
    Here's the thing...
    If you suffer from Hypothyroidism, and take enough medication to become Hyper...you will lose weight. HOWEVER, and it's a big however, you put your health at risk and it will take a huge toll on your heart. Is losing weight worth having a heart attack???........

I've never heard of that before, why does it take a huge toll on your heart ?
    Is taking Armour thyroid better ? Maybe the synthetic pills carry more risk.

Thanks

My story is similar to Beetlegirl, but without the weight loss. I just knew for years that it *had* to be my thyroid, and the weight just plopped on as I went from doctor to doctor trying to get my thyroid tested, only to be told it was in "normal" limits. I FINALLY got tested by an RE who found the high level of antibodies, but not showing up on tests-subclinical hypothyroidism. Even my endo would never do the testing for the antibodies. So, the RE put me on the low dose thyroid medicine,which, ironically, my endo refills-HA! Honestly, it actually kind of ticked me off that no one would pay attention or do any testing on me until I decided I wanted to have a baby. At that point, I was about 80 pounds overweight. I was hoping and praying that the thyroid pill would be the answer for me, but, as others have mentioned, it did not make me lose weight. I was soooo hoping it would. So, losing weight has been very difficult for me.

Also, as Beetlegirl said, you do NOT want to mess with your thyroid dose on your own. Too much thryoid hormone is bad-regardless of whether you are taking natural or synthetic. You can have something called a thyroid storm=not good.
    DH & I--married almost 15 years, surprise #1--miracle 29 weeker, surprise #2- 37 weeker

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Fletcher's Mommy! JoyannaWants2BaMommy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Here's the thing...
    If you suffer from Hypothyroidism, and take enough medication to become Hyper...you will lose weight. HOWEVER, and it's a big however, you put your health at risk and it will take a huge toll on your heart. Is losing weight worth having a heart attack??? I would hope that everyone would say no to that question.
    wish when i was hyperthyroid with graves that i had lost weight. i gained even while starving myself on a 1600 cal diet, i was sooooo hungry all the time, i would cry b/c i was so hungry. i gained about 1-2 lbs a week for the first 6 months of my treatment with tapazole. before the meds i was hot as hell, ill and hungry and getting fatter. being hyper makes you sooo hungry, you will have hunger pains while you are eating. you could eat the house down and still be starving. it is horrible, you never get satisfied.

Squishy, you said that you will have to go back to the doctor if you heart starts to race, does synthroid make your heart race, or is that something with the dosage?
    I've never heard of that before, why does it take a huge toll on your heart ?
    Is taking Armour thyroid better ? Maybe the synthetic pills carry more risk.
    heart racing, hot sweats, weakness and hunger are all symptoms of hyperthyroid too much hormone. it doesn't matter what med it is too much is too much.
    I have even played with my dose enough to get periods since and yet, I can't find anyone to ok a small increase of Synthroid.
    my dr agreed for my dosage i alternate between two different dosages every other day. when i went back she did a panel and told me to keep the same dose, but i upped one of the dosages. i take what makes me feel good based on how i feel the day before. my sister has struggled to find someone who will let her alternate, but they are hard to find apparently. when i was hyper i weaned myself off the tapazole very slowly. no matter how high or low you are, you will have days where you feel high, then days where you feel really low. i take 1/2 a 75 mcg pill one day and a 50 mcg pill the other, previously i was taking 1/2 a 50 mcg. i actually upped because my periods started lasting two weeks, upping it made me quit bleeding.
    i havent' lost any weight with the synthroid, but if i come off it i gain real bad.