Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy EXTREME Water Retention-Painful

I was diagnosed with PCOS SUmmer 2008 after a long and far too drawn out roadmap to deteriation.

I now have severe water retention. When I say severe I mean SEVERE! I can't wear anything, my jeans, shoes, sweatshirts (my arms are so swollen), I am wearing 2 bras because my noramlly D breasts wont even stay in a full coverage bra and I am just miserable.

When I called my doctor's office because I was so uncomfortable, almost the feeling of being bruised...everywhere on the surfasce of your skin, they suggested I take Midol.

Ok....after biting my tongue instead of screaming I went a got a BIG bottle of midol and have been taking the dosage as often as possible. I am still SUPER swollen. I hurt...I can't lay down...It hurts to sit. I have now become an insomniac because I can't sleep because it hurts so bad.

What do I do? I feel like my heart is racing. I am having a hard time bending over, standing up, getting up off the floor after sitting to play with my kittycat. I will admit that I am concerned....very but I don't want to get on the doctor's nerves.

I feel like no one can help me. I have been so sick...and sick of being sick for over two years now. Nothing has helped...it's not just water retention, it's sleepless nights, headahces, bodyaches, depression, weight gain, anxiety (pulling out eyebrows), larthagic, lack of energy, back aches, the whole nine yards. Not to mention the pain I am in and how sick I am of this.

Please...someone help me. I have read books. I have read websites...hell I went Mayo and they didn't even have any great ideas about what to do next.

Thanks

Allison - Welcome to SC! You have to a great place to get lots of info about PCOS.

Each month around O time, I get bloated. I stay that way until after I O - which could be 2 weeks. Then before AF comes, I get that way again. It is horrible.

I have some questions that could help with this:

How much water do you normally drink?
    What type of foods to you eat?
    When was your last AF (period)?
    Do you get your AF monthly? Or do you go long periods (over 45 - 60 days) without one?
    When you were diagnosed with PCOS did they test your thyroid?

I know you indicated you looked on line, but I still provided some helpful posts below. As you read these, you can see it could be something more than just water retention so please think about the questions above first.

http://www.essortment.com/all/waterretention_rxvm.htm
    http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...ooks/62/97.cfm
    http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/fluid_retention.html
    http://www.ivillage.co.uk/health/ghe...182121,00.html
    http://www.healthsearchonline.com/ge...tion-bloating/
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/wat...ention/WO00130

I usually buy fresh ginger root and make a strong tea out of it to help with water retention. Or I drink a cup of hot water with fresh lime in it about 30 - 60 minutes before I eat a meal. These do not get rid of all of the retention, but do help.
    Last edited by SandV; 12-26-2008 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Additional link
    Me
    DSS 5/30/04 (always will be mine)

Baby Aspirin
    HSG 8/26/08 - right fimbria congested with hydrosalpinx
    Ectopic PG 4/23/08 (8 wks) Salpingectomy 4/23/08 (left)
    Dx PCOS 1993

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I think you need to be SEEN at your Dr's office. I would call and insist on an appointment. If they won't see you, get to the ER. By your description, you may be having an allergic reaction to something or the swelling itself affecting your health (heart) adversely. Don't worry about getting on your dr's nerves. You pay him/her to treat you. If he/she won't, then find another who will. Yes, that cut and dried. Hoping you find resolution soon!

Thanks

Default Thanks!

I want to thank you both. I read through the websites posted and I called my drs office again and insisted on an appointment but they just had me go to urgent care, where they gave me a water pill and told me to get an appointment monday wiht my gyno. I am still swollen and retainng a lot of water, however I will hopefully get a dr appt this week.

Thanks again. I couldn't believe how quick you all responded. : ) It's good to have someone to talk to about this that understands what I am going throiugh.

Thanks

Not sure if my case was as bad. It was pretty awful. I was blowing up like crazy too. I stil actually blow up from time to time. Thankfully not as bad, but it still is kind of unknown to me. My doctors are treating me for my PCOS and thyroid. Plus, one of them put me on a high blood pressure pill that helps with some water weight. It has helped a bit, but I still have those days when I feel bloated. It's really confusing and I feel like there might be something else wrong, but no one really answers me when I ask what can cause this awfulness. It pulls in my veins and everything.

Since I have no idea what might be doing this to you, or even myself. Just make sure you get your thyroid checked. Personally, my thyroid never showed anything in my blood. I had to get a scan for them to see what was going on. You really should have a sonogram done on your neck. Doctors need to realize not everyone's the same. Anywho... get that checked and maybe your blood pressure since I'm sure it's up from all the water you're holding.

Don't feel alone hun... I suffer with this awfulness too. *hugs*

Thanks

Ang-

They have checked my thyriod...but only in the blood. The blood tests showed nothing. But considering my symptons, they thought it was a thyriod problem. I am going to the doctor today and I am going to ask about a sonogram of my neck.

My doctors really have no idea what is going on with me and I feel hopeless that it will never get better. It's great that you responded because at least I know that I am not alone!

Thanks!

Thanks

Best wishes for your appointment today. Hopefully they can start to find something.
    Me

Baby Aspirin
    Dx PCOS 1993

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Reading your original post I was thinking thyroid as well.

Also, have you been eating a lot of soy? My body was in so much pain and so puffy when I was on a high soy diet. I couldn't believe how much better I felt when I cut much of it out of my diet. My TSH levels went down as well.

Thanks

Ahimmel; ask your doctor to check your electroylite balance(sodium, potassium etc)

Excess sodium and postassium deficiency can cause extreme edema too. Also, has your doctor checked your kidney function, those are the organs that excrete excess fluid out of the body... sounds like you need a complete physical with bloodwork. Please have your doctor do it again if you haven't had a physical lately.

best wishes

Thanks

I can't really add anything above what the others have but I just wanted to say I hope it resolves for you soon.

Thanks

I forgot to ask:

Are you on metformin? Have you had your homocysteine levels checked lately? Do you feel any pain around your kidneys?

Thanks

AHimmel - How are things going with you? Any changes?
    Me

Baby Aspirin
    Dx PCOS 1993

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I hope you get better. I would def get to the dr or er. Good luck

Thanks

Just wanted to say I JUST dealt with this... It WAS horrible. Couldn't even hardly stand up much less walk or get dressed. Went back and forth to Dr for a few months dealing with it. She ran just about every test possible and everything came back clean. No thyroid, heart, blood pressure, diabetes, etc issues. I was just retaining LOTS of fluid. (Enough that I ballooned by about 50 lbs...) She gave me water pills and strict instructions to keep my feet elevated whenever possible. I normally put 2 pillows under them while sleeping now and try to keep them up the rest of the day as much as I can. Now...a lot of the swelling has gone down. THANK GOODNESS!! I can actually FIT into most of my clothes again. lol. Still don't really know the exact cause (so probably just AF related), doc said all the tests came back clean all she can really think of is to just try losing some weight and take the water pills as needed. Not a cure, but at least it'll allow me to continue walking around half-way normally. I was glad to have her run all the tests though. It's good to know you're healthy...except for being way overweight, swollen and having the PCOS, I mean.
    Not sure if that helps any, but figured may at least give some comfort to the fact that you're definitely not alone.
    My Aunt (who also has PCOS) has the same issue too. She's been dealing with "puffy feet" for as long as I can remember. She says that if you're REALLY in a pinch (and that it doesn't work if you do it too often, but if you're REALLY desperate), drink a beer. Don't remember which she told me, but said just basically the cheapest brand worked best. If you drink 1 beer the day before you need to fit into your clothes to go somewhere (meeting, interview, special occasion, etc), it will take some of the fluid down temporarily. Now...I haven't tried this cause I can't stand the taste of beer, but may be something to try if you can.

Thanks

Default Doind Somewhat Better...

I will say that it was by no means due to my drs help. They did NOTHING. I mean absolutely nothing...but I started taking the insulite program and I think it is really helping with the swelling, mood, energy levels, ect. So I really do suggest you try it if you can. I know it's expensive...but this health, not a new purse. Also, everyone said it was a lot of pills, and it is quite a few but not all at one time. It's 2 with every meal and then 5 twice a day at around 10 and 3. I at least suggest for some of you out there with water retention, mood, hunger, ect to give it a try for a couple months.

It really did help to know that others knew what I was going through and that I wasn't and still am not alone. Thank you to everyone who replied! It really made me feel better.

It seems that this Pcos thing is so mentally draining. I want to scream some days, cry others, and ignore it on still other days. Having this group has really helped me though. I can not thank you all eough.