Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Metformin Miracle Mom blonde_momma89's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Does Metformin increase your chance of conceiving twins?

I am curious if Metformin increases the chance of conceiving twins or not? My husband wants twins, boy & a girl and I have heard that fertility medications increase the chance of Twins but I wasnt sure about metformin?

I made this siggy to help myself feel better about waiting till June to TTC.
    Hidden Content Crystal
    Afflicted by PCOS for 10 years
    Diagnosed 5 years ago

Me: 19 Hidden Content DH (Andrew): 20
    1 Child: Lilly Marie (May 29 2008~Conceived w/ Metformin)
    Meds: Metformin ER 500mg, Prenatal, Vitamin D 1x Daily, Melatonin 5mg 1 x daily
    Diet Started: January 6 2009, Special K Challenge
    Started TTC#2: End of January 2009

Better Than I Deserve... lj2blessed's Avatar
    Thanks

No, Metformin is an anti-diabetic medication and would in no way overstimulate your ovaries.

You are probably thinking of Clomid, which does raise the chance of multiples.
    Mama to
    Imani "Faith" 4/09 and Ahmed "Worthy of Praise" 7/11
    Dx PCOS - 2001 *** BCP free since 2/07

I have PCOS...but PCOS doesn't have me!

Join me at Hidden Content !

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Oh ok, thanks so much, yeah I probably was thinking of Clomid, but I thought Met might have the same affect.

Do you have to without conceiving for more than a year to be on Clomid??
    Hidden Content Crystal
    Diagnosed 5 years ago

Thanks

Metformin isn't a fertility drug so no it doesn't increase your chance of mult's.

Every Dr is different on when they'll let you try Clomid. Depends if the Met is working for you or not. It worked for a short while for me, but I didn't add Clomid until 6 mo ttc.
    Ali (35) DH (37) married 2004
    DD1 Natalie - 7 1/2 - Met ER 2000MG
    DS Dylan - 4 - 2nd round Clomid 50mg + Met ER 2000mg
    DD2 Madelyn - born 8/17/13 -- Met ER 2000MG
    Dx: PCOS - not IR - thin cyster
    Meds: Metformin ER 1,000mg, Mirena IUD

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Oh ok, thanks so much My husband and I would like to conceive in Florida and we will be there from June 20-July 5th so I was curious. Does clomid work quickly?
    Hidden Content Crystal
    Diagnosed 5 years ago

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Also, congrats on the BFP!! SOOO exciting!
    Hidden Content Crystal
    Diagnosed 5 years ago

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blonde_momma89 View Post
    Oh ok, thanks so much My husband and I would like to conceive in Florida and we will be there from June 20-July 5th so I was curious. Does clomid work quickly?
    Not to burst your husband's bubble - but our "wishes" in regards to conceiving with PCOS very rarely happen - just being honest! Will you be ovulating between June 20th - July 5th? Know what I mean? It really depends on how your body responds to being post partum (congrats on your baby girl), a change in environment, etc. Some women will get a BFP their first cycle of Clomid, other's the third time is the charm...you just never know. Your body may ovulate later on clomid than normal, too...and I hear the side effects aren't too fun! Also - if you are ovulating on your own a doc will more than likely NOT give you clomid, as the odds are that you will hyperstimulate your ovaries and possibly ovulate 6 eggs - you ready to be a mom of sextuplets? If the Met worked for your first baby, stick with it!

I hope you don't take this as me sounding negative (not my aim at all), I just really don't want you to get too hyped up and be crushed if you don't end up conceiving boy/girl twins in Florida!

Get your body ready, fight those PCOS symptoms the best you can - with Metformin, diet, exercise, other tools to get various PCOS symptoms in check. Get to know your cycle forward and backward so that when you are ready (possibly in Florida) you can make the best use of BD time as well as enjoy your vacation! You know that your body can work (you already have a kid out of the deal), so just get it running like a well oiled machine so that when it's time your BFP will come!

Wish you the best!
    Mama to

Thanks

Also, congrats on the BFP!! SOOO exciting!
    THANK YOU!

I agree with blessed. If Metformin worked for you before, you should really that again for a while. Like me and some others, it works for a while but then doesn't. I conceived my DD on Metformin only as well!

Unless Metformin gives you exact cycles to plan from, it will be impossible for you to O on the exact date you want. And yes, clomid has a higher risk of multiples.

Your question, does clomid work quickly? well clomid's job is to induce Ovulation. IF you O on Metformin alone, adding Clomid to the mix is has a high success rate on working for you. That is what my Dr told me and she was right. I o'd 1st cycle on 50mg. But remember, each cycle you still ONLY have a 20-25% chance of conceiving. Just because you take Clomid and you Ovulate doesn't mean you'll get pregnant. Clomid worked for me on the 2nd cycle.

HTH!!
    Ali (35) DH (37) married 2004
    DD1 Natalie - 7 1/2 - Met ER 2000MG
    DS Dylan - 4 - 2nd round Clomid 50mg + Met ER 2000mg
    DD2 Madelyn - born 8/17/13 -- Met ER 2000MG
    Dx: PCOS - not IR - thin cyster
    Meds: Metformin ER 1,000mg, Mirena IUD

Thanks

Hi Crystal,

Nice to see your conceived your daughter on Met alone. That gives me hope!
    PCOS/Hypothyroidism
    BFPs with first round of Clomid, Ovidrel, and 2 IUIs- March 2009 & March 2011
    My husband's blog: Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Oh yeah - I conceived on Met only as well (non-IR)! It brought back AF for me and regulated my cycles...I was actually on a TTC "break" the cycle I got pregnant - go figure!

Crystal - I read the info in your siggy - if you really want to shoot for that Florida thing, I'd start charting your ovulation before June! It takes a few cycles to get the hang of it and it pinpoint ovulation well. Even if you aren't actively TTCing, it won't hurt to track your cycles and ovulation prior to June, like starting in April maybe.

I also see that you are currently on birth control, if you don't know how your body reacts after coming off this particular pill, I'd give it some time to regulate itself! My body went CAAAAA - RRRRRAAAZZZZYYYYY when I went off birth control, I gained 30 pounds, my vision went bad, had about 5 periods then they stopped completely...it's not quite as foolproof as non-cysters who go off birth control and get pregnant that first cycle! Just want you to be ready for Florida!
    Mama to

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Halo101 View Post
    Hi Crystal,

Nice to see your conceived your daughter on Met alone. That gives me hope!

Thanks! I was on 1500 ER mg x1 daily! GOOD LUCK! BABY DUST!
    Hidden Content Crystal
    Diagnosed 5 years ago

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Re

Quote Originally Posted by lj2blessed View Post
    Oh yeah - I conceived on Met only as well (non-IR)! It brought back AF for me and regulated my cycles...I was actually on a TTC "break" the cycle I got pregnant - go figure!

Crystal - I read the info in your siggy - if you really want to shoot for that Florida thing, I'd start charting your ovulation before June! It takes a few cycles to get the hang of it and it pinpoint ovulation well. Even if you aren't actively TTCing, it won't hurt to track your cycles and ovulation prior to June, like starting in April maybe.

I also see that you are currently on birth control, if you don't know how your body reacts after coming off this particular pill, I'd give it some time to regulate itself! My body went CAAAAA - RRRRRAAAZZZZYYYYY when I went off birth control, I gained 30 pounds, my vision went bad, had about 5 periods then they stopped completely...it's not quite as foolproof as non-cysters who go off birth control and get pregnant that first cycle! Just want you to be ready for Florida!
    Thanks so much! I have started trying to figure out Apprx periods and apprx ovulation dates, but hell, that will change once I go off the pill...when would you reccomend that I got off this pill?? April or so??
    Hidden Content Crystal
    Diagnosed 5 years ago

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I was just reading your post and it gives me hope. I have been taking metformin since May of 2008 but it wasn't working all the time. I only had two cycles since then. I do want to say congratulations!!! I sometimes get depressed because I am ready for a baby but it's not happening. I'm starting to feel better now. Thanks!!!

Thanks

Thanks so much! I have started trying to figure out Apprx periods and apprx ovulation dates, but hell, that will change once I go off the pill...when would you reccomend that I got off this pill?? April or so??
    Crystal - this is a tough question to answer. When did you get your AF back after baby? How long have you been on BCP? Your body definitely gets "used" to the pill, so if you don't plan on being on it long, I'd stop sooner than later. Are you on it to minimize PCOS symptoms or for birth control? If for birth control (don't want to get pregnant again before June), can y'all try another non-hormonal method until then like condoms?

Me personally, I never plan to use the pill again - PCOS affects my hormones enough that I don't need "outside help" making my body crazy, know what I mean? If DH and I are trying to prevent, we'll watch my cycles and either abstain or wear condoms while I'm fertile.
    Mama to

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by dollface1982 View Post
    I was just reading your post and it gives me hope. I have been taking metformin since May of 2008 but it wasn't working all the time. I only had two cycles since then. I do want to say congratulations!!! I sometimes get depressed because I am ready for a baby but it's not happening. I'm starting to feel better now. Thanks!!!

Awww well good luck!!! It will happen, it just takes a while I guess.
    Hidden Content Crystal
    Diagnosed 5 years ago