Thanks

Unhappy Very low progesterone, but ovulated? Need advice.

Okay ladies here goes:

I just got back from my RE and my progesterone levels are terrible. The first draw it was only 3.8 and last cycle it was 1.3 yikes! He still seems to think I ovluated because of my BBTs. I thought you can't ovulate if your progesterone is too low. Also, are there any natural or non-presciption things I can do to elevate my levels?

The good news is I am going for an endometrial biopsy next week and my post coital test today was awesome! So there's still hope, right?
    M/C 7-21-08 Triploid
    BFP 5/23/09 w/ low carb dietHidden Content
    M/c baby stopped growing at 6wks
    d&c 6/30/09
    Trying again.....

Thanks

Anybody? Please help.
    M/C 7-21-08 Triploid
    d&c 6/30/09
    Trying again.....

Registered User Goddess Hectate Help's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm just curious what number is considered "normal" for progesterone?

I read sage can help raise prost. levels and so can white peony.. but they also raise estrogen which competes with progesterone so that may make your problems worse

And there's Maca.. It works with your body to balance hormones, based on what I read if your low in anything it will raise it for you

Sorry I wasn't much of a help, if I find anything I'll let you know

Thanks

I'm sorry about your experience with your low progesterone levels.
    As for what you can take to increase your P4 levels- I am not sure. I hope other people can help you out with that one.

But...here is a link for all the fertility hormone levels done.
    http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/hormonelevels.html
    I hope this somewhat helps.

Good luck to you!
    "Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow"

Thanks

Hope - You can ovulate with low levels of progesterone, but it will be very difficult to sustain a pregnancy. To ovulate, your body produces estrogen (makes the environment sperm-friendly through eggwhite CM); Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH - which tells your ovaries to grow follies, which mature into eggs) and Luteinizing Hormone (LH - which tells the dominant egg to release). Then progesterone would start to rise to keep the oven warm for any implanted eggs... That progesterone rise is driven by the corpus luteum (site where the egg was released) until an implanted egg signals to continue to produce progesterone.... That's why if you aren't pg, your luteal phase is usually 10-16 days since that's about how long it takes for the corpus luteum to deteriorate... Someone else asked about levels. Since the level of progesterone is different depending on where you are in your cycle (it surges after ovulation usually) the ranges are based on that:

Follicular (pre-Ov) 0.6 - 4.7 ng/mL
    Ovulation 2.4 - 9.4 ng/mL
    Luteal (post-Ov) 5.3 - 86 ng/mL

There are progesterone supplements that you can take either orally, vaginally as a suppository or as a topical cream. Most need to be prescribed by a doctor. There is a product called Natural Progesterone Cream (NPC) that you can buy from a Walmart or the like in the herb section where the menopause drugs are, and you can apply to your thin-skinned areas to absorb progesterone that way. On the Alt Remedies Forum, there is a sticky about NPC, so check that out if you are interested. I tried it one month and didn't see any difference in my post-Ov temps though, but other cysters swear by it. It is possible to get pg and sustain pg, but you will need to be closely monitored by a doctor, so that they keep your levels up. Most cysters with low progesterone, supplement with NPC until the BFP, then go get progesterone prescribed by the Dr. Good luck and baby dust! Dianna

Thanks

Wow, thanks for all your replies. Great info! I'll keep you updated.
    M/C 7-21-08 Triploid
    d&c 6/30/09
    Trying again.....