Thanks

Default My boobs keep growing

Some people might think this is a good thing but personally it is freaking me out ... a few years ago and fora long while I was a b cup which to me is PERFECT .. two years ago they went to a C and a year later a D and NOW I am struggling to fit a D cup ... I havent put on any weight I STILL exercise so what is giong on .. does this happen with PCOS I cant stand it I have enough body issues to worry about let alone this they are grotesque and veiny I could cry
    Metformin Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredSally View Post
    Some people might think this is a good thing but personally it is freaking me out ... a few years ago and fora long while I was a b cup which to me is PERFECT .. two years ago they went to a C and a year later a D and NOW I am struggling to fit a D cup ... I havent put on any weight I STILL exercise so what is giong on .. does this happen with PCOS I cant stand it
    Are you taking Flutamide? It's a well-known side-effect. Flutamide was designed as an alternative to castration for men suffering from prostate cancer. It has the effect of increasing both testosterone and estrogen but entirely blocking all testosterone having any effect. Among its listed side effects is causing men to develop breasts. If it effectively makes males become hormonally female and develop female secondary characteristics, including breasts, it's hardly surprising if, in addition to causing females to lose male-type hair growth, it also causes signficant breast development in females who, as women, normally have some breast development anyway.

I have enough body issues to worry about let alone this they are grotesque and veiny I could cry
    They're probably a bit veiny because of the forced rapid growth, though, having only female nipples on a flat chest I wouldn't be the best one to comment on that.

If it is Flutamide that's the cause, it makes me all the happier with my choice to be content with the natural hormonal balance I have, even if it's not what I would originally have chosen for myself. It means that I don't have breasts and that I have moustache and beard growth heavy enough to have to shave every day -- but at least I don't have to suffer the side-effects of drugs. It's all a bit strange, isn't it? I hated my facial hair and my lack of breasts because I thought it ruined my attractiveness to men. But in point of fact I was worrying needlessly on that count, because the harm that was being caused was to what I thought of myself, not what DH and other male friends thought of me.
    Last edited by joyblack; 01-28-2009 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joyblack View Post
    Are you taking Flutamide? It's a well-known side-effect. Flutamide was designed as an alternative to castration for men suffering from prostate cancer. It has the effect of increasing both testosterone and estrogen but entirely blocking all testosterone having any effect. Among its listed side effects is causing men to develop breasts. If it effectively makes males become hormonally female and develop female secondary characteristics, including breasts, it's hardly surprising if, in addition to causing females to lose male-type hair growth, it also causes signficant breast development in females who, as women, normally have some breast development anyway.

They're probably a bit veiny because of the forced rapid growth, though, having only female nipples on a flat chest I wouldn't be the best one to comment on that.

If it is Flutamide that's the cause, it makes me all the happier with my choice to be content with the natural hormonal balance I have, even if it's not what I would originally have chosen for myself. It means that I don't have breasts and that I have moustache and beard growth heavy enough to have to shave every day -- but at least I don't have to suffer the side-effects of drugs. It's all a bit strange, isn't it? I hated my facial hair and my lack of breasts because I thought it ruined my attractiveness to men. But in point of fact I was worrying needlessly on that count, because the harm that was being caused was to what I thought of myself, not what DH and other male friends thought of me.
    Wow. Does flutamide work like spironolactone?

Thanks

Are you on any new BCPs?
    I know when I was on Yazmine I gained a cup size

Thanks

In addition to what PP said about flutamide, I want to mention that spironolactone caused my breasts to grow about 1-1 1/2 cup sizes. This happened in my 30s and my cup size was already *huge* to begin with. In a panic, I asked my endocrinologist about it at the time and he just said, "Oh no, that only happens with some men who take Spiro, wouldn't happen in a female!" Mm-hmm...another genius to guide us through *pretend* side effects.

You'll notice I'm still on spiro...does wonders for my skin in controlling the oil and the jowl acne that I used to have. To get proper bust support I had to switch to underwire bras, and order them through the internet because reg. stores don't carry the size I need. I'm overweight and I know that my bust would be smaller (but still big for my frame) if I lost a significant amount of weight.
    I am: age 41; single, no children Hidden Content
    PCOS w/insulin resistance, obesity, & hypothyroidism
    Glumetza, spironolactone, tirosint, & (generic) cytomel...chromium, flax oil, acidophilus pearls, PB8
    Hidden Content Hello, PCOS? Take a flying leap!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LaBigGirl View Post
    In addition to what PP said about flutamide, I want to mention that spironolactone caused my breasts to grow about 1-1 1/2 cup sizes. This happened in my 30s and my cup size was already *huge* to begin with. In a panic, I asked my endocrinologist about it at the time and he just said, "Oh no, that only happens with some men who take Spiro, wouldn't happen in a female!" Mm-hmm...another genius to guide us through *pretend* side effects.

You'll notice I'm still on spiro...does wonders for my skin in controlling the oil and the jowl acne that I used to have. To get proper bust support I had to switch to underwire bras, and order them through the internet because reg. stores don't carry the size I need. I'm overweight and I know that my bust would be smaller (but still big for my frame) if I lost a significant amount of weight.
    how much spiro were you taking when you noticed size change? I'm pretty sure flutomide causes enlargment but I didnt know about spiro.

Thanks

I was on 25 mg. 2x's a day to start when I noticed a change. Then went to 50 mg. 2x's a day because I still had skin/facial hair issues. All I know is within a few months of starting spiro. I was busting out of my bras and in the prescription literature it mentions that men should talk to their drs. if they experience breast enlargement.
    I am: age 41; single, no children Hidden Content
    PCOS w/insulin resistance, obesity, & hypothyroidism
    Glumetza, spironolactone, tirosint, & (generic) cytomel...chromium, flax oil, acidophilus pearls, PB8
    Hidden Content Hello, PCOS? Take a flying leap!

Thanks

whoa!

Did someone say that flutamide INCREASES testosterone?

I've never read that before.

My total T went from 42 to 60 in the year after having my baby while on flutamide. I just thought it was my pcos getting worse on it's own. (was just finishing breastfeeding when first blood test was taken so it's a little deceiving)

I've now added met and a slew of natural supplements to try and combat this rise.

Can someone point me to where the info on flutamide increasing testosterone is? My breasts have done the exact opposite (decreased) and my hairloss got a lot worse. I was thinking of trying to increase my flutamide dosage because I just figured I wasn't on high enough of a dose for it to be effective.

This hormone crap is so confusing......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kimm View Post
    whoa!

Did someone say that flutamide INCREASES testosterone?

I've never read that before.

My total T went from 42 to 60 in the year after having my baby while on flutamide. I just thought it was my pcos getting worse on it's own. (was just finishing breastfeeding when first blood test was taken so it's a little deceiving)

I've now added met and a slew of natural supplements to try and combat this rise.

Can someone point me to where the info on flutamide increasing testosterone is? My breasts have done the exact opposite (decreased) and my hairloss got a lot worse. I was thinking of trying to increase my flutamide dosage because I just figured I wasn't on high enough of a dose for it to be effective.

This hormone crap is so confusing......

Hormones are SUPER confusing! And I think the more I read and do research about it, the more confused I get because I read this about spiro too as well as flutamide! Something about increasing testosterone BUT AT THE SAME TIME blocking the effect? Huh? I want my testosterone to go down, right? Is Met the only thing to help normalize hormones again? I dont get it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peggotty View Post
    Hormones are SUPER confusing! And I think the more I read and do research about it, the more confused I get because I read this about spiro too as well as flutamide! Something about increasing testosterone BUT AT THE SAME TIME blocking the effect? Huh? I want my testosterone to go down, right? Is Met the only thing to help normalize hormones again? I dont get it.
    I don't know much about the action of Spiro, but your total testosterone levels don't appear to matter much. What matters is the "free" or "unbound" testosterone that's able to take action on your body, especially if your body has been sensitized to respond to testosterone.

Yes, hormones are super-confusing. And especially to us, because we're women and yet we tend to have a testosterone balance which is more like that of the average male than like that of the average female. And in the case of many of us, our bodies have been sensitized to respond to testosterone.

Thanks

Interesting......

Thanks

I think spiro does affect breast size. I've gone from a large C to a DD since I started being treated for PCOS and my weight has gone down.
    New York, NY

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

i'm pretty sure i had pcos when i started my period but... by the time i was 16 my back was curved forward at a 67 degree angle and my breasts wouldn't fit into a ddd bra... i had breast reduction surgery they took out 2 lb. out of each boob and i was still a large c small d... now i am back to a d-dd but i also gain 50 lb. 6 months after my surgery.