Thanks

Default Essure + Novasure?

I'm 39 years old, have 2 kids and am positive I'm done having children. For several months I've had very irregular periods, as in every 2 weeks and sometimes 1 week. My doctor recommended that I have Essure and Novasure done at the same time. I've read up on both but not finding a lot of information about them being done together. He said it would be done in the hospital as an outpatient procedure with general anesthesia. What I'm reading online is that these are often done in the doctor's office without being put completely under. Is it because they would be done at the same time that would need general anesthesia and be done in the hospital? Has anyone here had both of these done? I'd appreciate any thoughts you all have before I make the decision!

Thanks

Hi wina,
    I scrubbed gyne surgery for 5 years at a major women's hosp in Chicago. I have scrubbed both of these procedures more times than I can count, and can say without doubt that I have never done the two of them together. That's not to say they are never done together, just that the Dr.s that I work with may be more conservative than your Dr.
    The Essure puts little copper tubes up in to your fallopian tubes for sterilization purposes and the Novasure burns a few millimeters of the lining inside your uterus to help with abnormal uterine bleeding. It sounds like this Dr. is going to take care of both your concerns at once. Good luck!
    Amanda

Thanks

Thumbs up

I found an article online from a research physician at my hosp, and while
    the article cites another type of ablation, but obviously it is perfectly fine to have them done together... I learned something new! I would send you a link, but since I haven't posted 15 times, it wont let me.

Thanks

Thank you for the information!

I've been reading some Essure horror stories that's got me scared to do it. I'm sure this is like anything else... the bad experiences are very vocal and the good experiences are mostly silent, but WOW there are some really BAD experiences!

Thanks

Be very vocal and up front. Ask your Dr. how many times he/she has done the procedure(s)... The only thing I have seen go wrong during an essure procedure is the opening to the tube constricts and they can't place one of the coils. This doesn't happen very often and I believe the Dr.s have the patients take motrin before the surgery to help with this. Try not to worry, and ask questions until you feel comfortable. Easy for me to say huh? I have never been the patient... just the scrub nurse. Sometimes I think I have become desensitized to peoples surgical concerns. How unfair of me.
    I am sure you will do very well with the procedures.

Better Than I Deserve... lj2blessed's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wina View Post
    I'm 39 years old, have 2 kids and am positive I'm done having children. For several months I've had very irregular periods, as in every 2 weeks and sometimes 1 week. My doctor recommended that I have Essure and Novasure done at the same time. I've read up on both but not finding a lot of information about them being done together. He said it would be done in the hospital as an outpatient procedure with general anesthesia. What I'm reading online is that these are often done in the doctor's office without being put completely under. Is it because they would be done at the same time that would need general anesthesia and be done in the hospital? Has anyone here had both of these done? I'd appreciate any thoughts you all have before I make the decision!
    I guess I don't understand why you need both? My mom (age 50 and done having children, LOL) had the NovaSure done this past May at the hospital we both work at, but I believe they put her completely under. She had her tubes tied previously (20 years ago after having my little brother)...so is that why they are doing both for you - Essure for birth control and NovaSure for ablation? I was under the impression that they only do NovaSure if you are done having children anyway because when that endometrial lining gets burned you wouldn't be able to keep a pregnancy anyway

Well, I wish you the best!
    Mama to
    Imani "Faith" 4/09 and Ahmed "Worthy of Praise" 7/11
    Dx PCOS - 2001 *** BCP free since 2/07

I have PCOS...but PCOS doesn't have me!

Join me at Hidden Content !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lj2blessed View Post
    I guess I don't understand why you need both? My mom (age 50 and done having children, LOL) had the NovaSure done this past May at the hospital we both work at, but I believe they put her completely under. She had her tubes tied previously (20 years ago after having my little brother)...so is that why they are doing both for you - Essure for birth control and NovaSure for ablation? I was under the impression that they only do NovaSure if you are done having children anyway because when that endometrial lining gets burned you wouldn't be able to keep a pregnancy anyway

Well, I wish you the best!
    I asked my doctor the same question. The Novasure doesn't prevent pregnancy, but it makes it dangerous to carry a baby, and probably impossible. He told me you never have Novasure without some form of permanent birth control. That's what the Essure is for. The Novasure is to eliminate periods, since mine are so bothersome.

Donnie + Bahamas=:)ME! jackie_h1's Avatar
    New Kids On The Block's cloud #9 (see me up there?)
    Thanks

I go this coming Monday for the Essure procedure. I am having the procedure done @ the hospital under general anesthesia. I had the choice of in the office or @ the hospital outpatient. Due to me having alot of medical problems, I chose the general. I don't want to take any chances of feeling anymore pain than I already do!
    I really want to talk with other moms who have chose to have this Essure procedure, but so far when I search for Essure, I don't find much.
    So if you would like to talk about this, I'm here!
    My baby girl, who's 3, is currently IN the same hospital for severe dehydration (she's had a horrible GI FLU for the past week) and a UTI. If she hasn't been discharged by Monday, I'm going to have a family member come sit with her while my husband and I go through with this outpatient procedure. Nothing is stopping me from having it done. It's been rescheduled several times and I just want it done and over with!
    Jackie
    Hidden Content Wifey to Joe
    SAHM to 3 beautiful girls
    WLS 2/8/02~lost 220lbs
    In search of FACE TIME with NKOTB on their FULL SERVICE summer tour 2009!!! See ya in Jones Beach, NY, Detroit, MI, Cinci, OH, & lastly partying like theres no tomorrow in Houston for the last show of the tour! I LOVE NKOTB!

Thanks

Default essure and novasure

i was wondering if any one knew if you could do essure after you have had novasure done, i had novasure done a few weeks ago and just researched about essure and would like to have this done as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 1,282 Posts

I would think that they would want you to heal up for a while before they do another surgery.

Thanks

yeah i figured they would want me too heal first was just wondering if they would even do procedure? ive read up on it and says you could have essure done right before novasure but doesnt say if you can have it after.

Thanks

Wina,

Can you tell me if you had the Essure and Novasure procedures done? You had posted a message back in Jan 2009 where you said you were considering having both procedures done at the same time. I am scheduled to have these done in three weeks. I'm interested to know if you did it and how you are doing. Any problems or major issues with the procedures? I'm very nervous and concerned about the outcome of doing both a the same time. My doctor recommends it and assures me that there's nothing to be concerned about; however, I would love to hear from someone who had it done.

Thanks.

Thanks

Did you get this done whiteflowers1? I am scheduled for both June 9th and looking for some feedback from someone who has done them both at the same time. Thank you!

Thanks

Hi Tawnya01,
    Yes, I had this done in March 2012. I had them both done at the same time and it is the best decision I have ever made. I couldn't be happier. Absolutely NO side effects. I had it done on a Friday and just took it easy for a couple of days afterward; since i have a desk job i went back to work on Monday. I was careful that weekend because I didn't want any side effects. I have no periods and no discharge and haven't since the procedure.
    One of my friends also had it done about 2 yrs ago with no complications. You just need to allow your body to heal.
    Let me know if you have any questions or want to know more details about it; I'm very willing to share my experience if it helps others.