Thanks

Default Help!! I took an extra 1000 mg of Metformin accidentally

I'm 11 weeks along and absent-mindedly took an extra 1000 mg of metformin tonight. I usually take 1000 mg in the morning and 1000 mg at night, so I took 3000 mg in all today, 2000 mg within a couple hours. I'm freaking out that it will hurt the baby. What do you think?
    BFP 9/17/06
    DS--Owen Martin born 5/14/07
    TTC #2--BFP 12/12/08
    1/6/09 First Ultrasound, looks good, HR 147
    3/26/09--It's another boy!
    EDD 8/25/09

Loving my Little Leo! LitterOf1's Avatar
    Thanks

I would still call your doctor and/or pharmacist ASAP, but I also did a little research for ya. There isn't a lot known about metformin either way, but the overwhelming medical consensus is that if ANYTHING, met in pregnancy can cause hypoglycemia in the fetus which as you know is low blood sugar, but that is usually after birth and only if the mom's diet wasn't managed as well.

So overdosing on the met with an extra 1000mg might cause low blood sugar momentarily, but the research showed that the placenta was a "partial barrier" and that glucose was not seen being transported in either direction (from mom to baby or the other way around.) So to make a long story short, I don't think you have to worry. Send me a private message if you want the links where I got that info from. Oh and I was on 2500mg daily for my first 13 weeks of pregnancy and that turned out just fine.

Otherwise keep us updated, good luck!

Thanks

LitterOf1--Thank you so much for your response and research. I'll ask a friend who is a pharmacist this morning, but I feel much better now just with what you wrote. My doctor suggested I take 2500 mg but I decided to only take 2000 mg, so I guess it's just 500 more. You're the best for taking the time to help me!

P.S. Those pictures of your son are so beautiful!
    BFP 9/17/06
    TTC #2--BFP 12/12/08
    EDD 8/25/09

Thanks

I wish all the best for you and your pregnancy. I am so glad that my info made you feel better. Thanks too for mentioning about my darling boy.

What did the pharmacist say??? I meant to mention that in general though, I'd try not to take an extra dose again because it could cause liver or blood sugar probs for YOU, so indirectly less nutrients to your baby. I am sure things are fine though - isn't this support site the best?

Thanks

Are you on XR? It shouldnt cause any real porblems, but I would eat a couple snacks throught out the day ( crackcers, juice, small sandwich) just to ensure that you dont drop your blood sugar. Def if you start to feel weak, light headed or woozy- dit down and eat!

Missing Daniel & Sweetpea Mindijean's Avatar
    Thanks

How did things turn out?

I am on three 850 mg Met a day, so 2550 a day. I "think" I accidentally took one too many once. Since then, I've purchased a pill box and dole my pills out for the week....MUCH easier for absent minded me!

Hidden Content Mindi Jean Sheldon Piasecki on Facebook Hidden Content

Thanks

Litterof1--The pharmacist said it's fine but try not to do it again (pretty much what I thought). I'm sure I will be extra careful now when taking my pills. I love this site. It's so nice to have support from others in similar situations!

AngieLong328--I'm not on XR, just the regular. The problem is that I took it shortly before bed, but I had some chocolate milk so my blood sugar wouldn't go down too much while I was asleep. I felt fine all night.

Mindijean--Thanks for you advice. I'm glad to hear that you are prescribed 2550; that makes me feel better about taking 3000. The sad part about my story is that I do have a pill box. For some reason, I opened up Wednesday's pills instead of Tuesday. From now on, I'm going to be very careful and make sure what day it is!!
    BFP 9/17/06
    TTC #2--BFP 12/12/08
    EDD 8/25/09

Thanks

Hey, I am really glad that you were able to get reassurance. I am always forgetting my met med so my hubby said that I should have it pumped into me like an IV hahaha so I don't miss any doses.