Thanks

Default Should you take Metformin if you have low Blood Sugar? Help!

I'm asking for a friend she have PCOS and low blood sugar. She want to know if you can take metformin if your have low blood sugar

Me:22 DH: 25
    Hidden Content DD: Clomid 100mg, Metformin 2000mg + IUI
    DX: March 2006

Thanks

Hello,

Of course asking a MD is her best option. Metformin acts in a way to lower your glucose levels and one of the side effects is hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Now if someone taking Metformin already has low blood sugar to begin with the medication might make it even lower. Its best for her to contact her MD. Hope that helps a little
    Me 23
    Hidden Content
    DH 30

Married 8/07
    Hoping for our blessing insh'Allah
    (God willing)

I graduate from Nursing School in May '10! WOOT! WOOT!

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

1st (April) cycle of Clomid 100mg cd 2-6- Waiting to O...

Thanks

Not sure if this answers the question, but I'd get bouts of hypoglycemia if I didn't eat at the right time.

After being on fortamet, I feel like I don't get those dips so much anymore.

I've read that these swings can indicate IR.

I don't test positive for IR but believe that I am.

Thanks

I agree with kimm.

I used to have low blood sugar chronically--the shakes, headaches, numbness in my fingers/toes, despondent mood, fainting--regardless of my diet.

Since starting to take the met a year ago, I have only had 2 episodes of low blood sugar, and granted, those were after not eating for 6-7 hours. I think even a normal person would feel shaky.

I don't know what the test for IR is, but my A1C was 6.6 before met. Now it's 5.2 (at last visit).
    • Metformin 2000mg per day since Oct 07
    • Yasmin 1xday2001-March 2009
    • Spiro 50mg 1xday Oct 07-Jan 08; stopped due to bleeding and low BP side effects at higher dosages. Started again at 50mg March 09-present.
    • Propecia .5mg 1xday Jan 08-Dec08. Started again March 09-present
    • Diagnosed in 2001. Found a Dr that would treat me for PCOS in 2007.

Feel free to contact me with specific questions--I am always glad to help a fellow cysterHidden Content

Thanks

Default So confused!

My GP suggested I take Metformin to help with conception. My Endocrinologist
    says not to bother. I also get low blood sugar which leads to migraines-frequently. My period has always been regular and my weight is normal because I monitor my intake. I never actually feel full. Does anyone know what I should look for in my blood work or otherwise to help me to decide to take this medication or not?

I'm lost!

By the way I took Androcur and then Diane for years until my 30's. Now I take 1000 mg of antibiotics a day for acne but nothing else.
    Last edited by barbdoll; 03-26-2009 at 07:15 PM. Reason: give people more info

Thanks

I take metformin specifically for hypoglycemia.

Metformin acts on your body to make it more sensitive to insulin. It doesn't cause your body to make more insulin. Because of that it works for diabetics and also for hypoglycaemics who have insulin resistance.

If you you are type II diabetic, and have too little insulin, then it helps your body work better on the small amount of insulin you have. If you are type I diabetic and your body doesn't make any insulin then it won't work at all.

If you are insulin resistant, your body contstantly makes more insulin than it needs because it can't tell when it has enough. Many people with insulin resistance are also hypoglycaemic because of high insulin levels. Metformin, by making your body more sensitive to insulin, helps your body realise when it has enough insulin so it doesn't constantly make too much. Having a apple shaped body is considered an indication that you may have insulin resistance.

Low blood sugar can be a side effect of taking Metformin but it would be more common if it were taken by someone who was not either diabetic or insulin resistant. Your doctor should check your insulin levels and/or blood sugar before prescribing metformin. You may be asked to keep a diary of your blood suger levels for a couple of weeks to prove hypoglycaemia.

A good doctor should also give you information on diet and how often to have meals and snacks to help avoid high and low blood sugar levels.