Thanks

Default Anyone had a LEEP and worried about incompetent cervix?

I am finally seeing the light at the end of the 1st trimester tunnel and now I have moved on to the next big fear. Because I had a LEEP procedure done 4 years ago, my OB told me that I have to see the perinatalogist from weeks 16-26 to have bi-weekly ultrasounds of my cervix to make sure it's not starting to dilate. She said NOT to worry, and that it's just a precaution, but like I would ever not worry. Ever since I found out I had PCOS just a few months ago my whole confidence in my body is shaken.

So anyway, just wondering if anybody else has this added joy and fun to look forward to?

The only good news is that she told me that if this pregnancy proceeds uneventfully then I won't have to worry about it next time. I guess this is the test and if my cervix passes, it will be fine in later pregnancies.

Thanks

I had it done a couple years ago and no one seems concerned about it!
    I am so worried!! I am going to insist on regular checks
    I see my doctor again at 13-ish weeks so I can talk to him then (I totally gapped the other day)

can they check your cervix just by feeling it?

do you know what the chances are of having it happen after the leep procedure? I called the nurse the other day but she said it is slim but didn't give me a number
    Katie <3 DH Luke

Hidden Content

My Beautiful babies
    Hidden Content
    Angel baby 6/05/08 <3
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Kennslee Nicole's Mommy heather212007's Avatar
    Thanks

I had a LEEP done in April of 07 and delivered my DD in May of 08, so not a big gap between my LEEP and my pregnancy. But I had the opposite problem. I was induced at 39 weeks and I was only like 1 cm and it took over 24 hours to get past the 1 cm mark, they said prolly becasue of the scar tissue from the LEEP. I still delivered vaginally. So besides that no other problems and my doc never ever seemed concerned during my pregnancy. Good luck!!
    Heather(28) Brian(31)
    DD Born May 1st, 2008.
    M/C -09/08, 06/09, 11/09.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

angel -- your doctor really sounds on top of things -- definitely the right thing to do. You are at higher risk of IC, but that means that by following you closely they can catch it early if it happens and take precautions!! Cervix u/s is the very best way to measure (manual exam is not accurate to catch internal dilation, funneling, and shortening).

I don;t have IC per se, but have preterm labor and have the cervix problems that arebeing followed by u/s. I had NO risk factors, and was lucky enough to catch it early. But anyway, I've read a ton on IC by now and def think your doc is doing the right thing. In all liklihood you will NOT have any problems, but won't it be nice to be certain??
    Whitney, 33

After soy, Femara, Follistim, an ectopic pregnancy, and IVF, FINALLY BFP 8/08 -- twins -- but lost baby B at 7 weeks
    Preterm labor at 25 weeks... baby boy is here safely at 36w3d!

Hidden Content

Thanks

I had a LEEP done in April, but only a superficial amount was removed. I insisted they check my cervical length regardless, and it has been fine. I did have some bleeding after intercourse a couple of weeks ago, but my cervix remained closed. If they notice your cervix shortening or funneling, they would stitch a cerclage to prevent incompetent cervix.

Jackie (29)

Thanks

Thanks guys... I want to bump this up to see if I can get anyone else to reply!

Katie- I don't know what the risks are specifically. I looked for something like that too but couldn't find it. My OB just told me not to worry but I don't if she was saying that because it wasn't a big risk, or because she figures there is no point in making a pregnant woman worried, even if there is something to worry about! Definitely tell your OB you are worried about it and make sure they do ultrasounds of your cervix to check.

Heather- I have heard that can happen too! At least you were still able to deliver vaginally but I am sure it was a long labor! You have a beautiful girl though, congrats!

Tummy- are you on bedrest b/c of the preterm labor? I'm sorry, that must be rough, but at least its only for a certain period of time and will all be worth it. How did they catch it?

NY- That's good to hear that you haven't hand any problems. How often do they check? At what week will they stop checking?

Thanks

Katie- I found this http://www.health-science-report.com...cs2/article47/ that says "Nevertheless, cervical incompetence sometimes occurs, in less than 5% of cases, and makes it difficult to carry pregnancies to term (resulting in miscarriages) because the cervix is too thin to keep the uterus closed during the later stages of pregnancy."

So it seems that at least this source found the rate of IC to be less than 5% after LEEP. This is good news I think...not sure how reliable the source is but I will take any encouraging stats!

Thanks

Angeliki -- yep, on BR for preterm labor with shortening cervix. Funny how "they" caught it, actually -- I started having contractions at 16 weeks and everyone (doc included) told me they were Braxton Hicks and not to worry. I checked my own cervix around then and it was firm and long. Then around 25 weeks I was having them more fequently (several times an hour), and checked my cervix and it was VERY soft. This worried me, so I went in to my doc and he was worried enough to order a cervix u/s, which showed it had shortened to 2 cm. It's shortened each week a little, but has been 1.5 cm for the last 2 weeks so I'm hoping we still have some time.

Sorry so long... but again I'm glad your doc is being proactive!
    Whitney, 33

After soy, Femara, Follistim, an ectopic pregnancy, and IVF, FINALLY BFP 8/08 -- twins -- but lost baby B at 7 weeks
    Preterm labor at 25 weeks... baby boy is here safely at 36w3d!

Hidden Content

Thanks

I am getting closer to my 16 week mark where I will start being monitored for IC so I thought I would bump this up and see if anyone else out there is in the same boat?

Thanks

i was 17 when i remember them telling me that i was gonna have my cervix frozen and also laser treatment, so looking back, i am not sure if it was leep or not. when i was pregnant with my twins, my ob thought my cervix was short and referred my the perinatologist and he thought i would be ok without a stitch. my insurance changed and i had to see another perinatal doc and loss the twins at 20 weeks due to incompetent cervix or preterm labor. if i would have had a cerclage like my ob suggested , things probably would have been fine.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

~Keva (32) Keith(34)

~9 ANGEL BABES and 8 m/c
    ~BFP 01 27 10
    ~Miracle Baby Kendall born 10/4/10! 6 years actively TTC!

Hidden Content

wife~mom~teacher~friend IFBPreachersWife's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I had a LEEP in 10/05 and delivered dd in 12/07 via c/s. I didn't have any trouble with ic at all. I carried twins to 35 weeks (6/02) and again, had no trouble with IC. If anything, I have trouble getting my cervix to dialate. My ob just remarked 3 wks ago that my cervix is very scarred. I asked if that would cause problems in a possible vbac and she said that it shouldn't. Hope that helps you feel a little better.