Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default DIM and hair loss

Hello all-

I started taking DIM about 2 months ago, and so far have had fabulous results. Everyone talks about it for skin problems (at least on the acne board I occasionally visit), but it has done wonders for my hair. I had noticed a definite improvement after taking BCPs for a few months, but the DIM kicked it up a notch. When I got my hair cut the other day, my stylists was SHOCKED because I had so much hair.

Anyway, I just wanted to share with those of you encountering similar issues.

-B

Thanks

Thanks for sharing this. I had posted a thread on the Alternative board asking about experiences with DIM. I have thought about taking it to help with my PCOS and hormone imbalances.
    Have you noticed any other results from it?
    Me
    DSS 5/30/04 (always will be mine)

Baby Aspirin
    HSG 8/26/08 - right fimbria congested with hydrosalpinx
    Ectopic PG 4/23/08 (8 wks) Salpingectomy 4/23/08 (left)
    Dx PCOS 1993

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Wow! I saw this as an ingredient in a hair growth supplement and was curious how it would effect me.

Does this tend to raise or lower estrogen? Or is it dependent on the individual?

I think I have lower estrogen so have been looking for safe ways to try and help my body raise it on its own.

From ovulation to menustration I don't shed much, but right around the time it drops (menustration on) I shed like a freakin cat and it's driving me nuts as I'm desperately trying to regain as much of my lost hair as possible.

I'll have to ask my naturopath about this at our next meeting. My poor follicles need all the help they can get!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kimm View Post
    Wow! I saw this as an ingredient in a hair growth supplement and was curious how it would effect me.

Does this tend to raise or lower estrogen? Or is it dependent on the individual?

I think I have lower estrogen so have been looking for safe ways to try and help my body raise it on its own.

From ovulation to menustration I don't shed much, but right around the time it drops (menustration on) I shed like a freakin cat and it's driving me nuts as I'm desperately trying to regain as much of my lost hair as possible.

I'll have to ask my naturopath about this at our next meeting. My poor follicles need all the help they can get!
    I was told that "shedding" was caused by excess estrogen compared to progesterone level. I would definitely speak to your naturopath.
    Me

Baby Aspirin
    Dx PCOS 1993

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Registered User Goddess Hectate Help's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kimm View Post

Kimm -- if you have low estrogen, maca, spearmint tea, sage and white peony all can raise it naturally

Registered User Goddess Hectate Help's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BALCYST View Post
    Hello all-

I started taking DIM about 2 months ago, and so far have had fabulous results. Everyone talks about it for skin problems (at least on the acne board I occasionally visit), but it has done wonders for my hair. I had noticed a definite improvement after taking BCPs for a few months, but the DIM kicked it up a notch. When I got my hair cut the other day, my stylists was SHOCKED because I had so much hair.

Anyway, I just wanted to share with those of you encountering similar issues.

-B

Did it make your hair thicker? were you expierncing loss prior to taking this? Thanks again for the info!

Thanks

To answer everyone's questions...

-My skin is much clearer. My skin cleared up quite a bit with the BCP, but this made it more or less spotless (until I became sleep-deprived and over-stressed... but that's another issue).

-It doesn't raise or lower your estrogen. It metabolizes it, which I guess means it helps you process it better. If anyone has a better definition, by all means, share!

-As far as I know, testosterone/progesterone makes you lose hair. That's why men go bald. One of the reasons I was put on BCPs was because my androgens were too high. (OK, that's totally a DUH! comment. I think that's one of the reasons most of us were put on BCPs and found our way to this board.)

-Personally, I got no results from spearmint tea. I am a little suspicious of it. Then again, I broke out terribly from drinking green tea with goji berry.

-Did it make my hair thicker? Hmmm... I don't know about that. More of it is definitely growing in and less is falling out, and that is way better than the alternative.

Hope this helps,
    B

Thanks

Thanks again for the info. I have to see if I can get some shipped down here.

I know my old dr said I exhibit classic signs of estrogen dominance. This does not mean I have too much estrogen but that my ratio of estrogen to progesterone unbalanced causing my body to react as I have too much estrogen. Hair loss is one symptom, you can check the link below.

http://www.johnleemd.com/store/estrogen_dom.html
    Me

Baby Aspirin
    Dx PCOS 1993

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I know both Vitamin Shoppe and Amazon have it (GNC does not). I don't think Amazon will ship supps abroad. However, the sellers on Amazon are independent merchants, so it may be worth contacting them directly.

Thanks

Hey,
    I just did a quick search on Amazon and found so many different types of this stuff.. What specific brand are you on?
    Thanks.

Thanks

I take 2 tablets of Nature's Way DIM-plus every morning with my mountain of vitamins and supplements.

When I went to the Vitamin Shoppe, I think that might have been the only one they had or the guy there said it was a little stronger. Also, that was the brand I recalled from the acne boards.

Thanks

I was looking online for a company to ship here. I will have to continue to look. The problem is most companies will deliver to larger countries, but not to a small little island like this one.
    Me

Baby Aspirin
    Dx PCOS 1993

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Okay, going to play a little devil's advocate here.

Mostly because I'm so confused by all this hormone stuff.

I was researching this for my next meeting with my naturopath. She seemed to think it would be okay as part of a supplement but I'm being extremely cautious as my hair loss seems to get worse if I even think about it!

I went to diagnose-me.com and they recommend against using dim if you have high testosterone and are a female. I also have been seeing this a lot on body building sites.

Is this safe to take if you're not on bcps? I'm not certain if I'm estrogen dominant. I do think it's pretty low because I sweat like crazy at night about a week before af and sometimes around ovulation. I've read this is a symptom of low estrogen.

I know that if you have too much estrogen your body will sometimes convert that into testosterone, so dim makes sense then I'd guess.

here's the link....

http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C621300.html

Look towards the bottom.

Anyone have input on this? It's obviously working for balcyst! Just not sure if I'm a candidate.

Thanks

What's DIM?

Thanks

Ditto---What is in DIM?