Thanks

Question Steroids ( Medrol, Prednisone ) dose for IVF / FET

Hello ladies

I am going for m 3rd FET in a few days. So far none worked and doctors seem to think it may have something to do with immunologic issues, since all the rest is fine (embryos, uterus, etc ).

In my past transfers I was on 5 mg only of prednisone which now I know is like almost nothing. My doctor is upping this dose to 20 mg. I have been making research and there is a lot of different information : some ladies start taking the steroids since CD1, others until the day of transfer, others are on 10 mg per day, others on 20 mg, I have even seen 60 mg per day !!

Some take them for a few days after transfer, others until pregnancy test.

Can anyone share information and dosage and if it helped get a BFP ? thanks !!!

Thanks

Question Medrol / Prednisone for FET

Hi Monita. Congrats on your DD- I see that this FET was successful!

I came across this post while searching the internet via google with this very same question! Not much info out there.

I've had 4 failed fresh ivf's (3 bfn's & 1 bfp but chemical). I'm currently at the beginning of my first fet cycle. I dont have pcos (I joined here so that I could contact you via this post). I've had the run of the mill chromosome testing, kc testing, etc- everything came back normal on myself and dh. My embryo quality is always good or great and my lining is always fluffy, etc. My RE is stumped that I haven't had a successful bfp. This is my second RE, I switched for IVF #4. I've also had miscarriages via natural cycles and 2 ectopics, I lost 1 tube in the process. I take the usual daily supplements and 81mg baby aspirin daily, eat healthy and excercise daily (nothing crazy, just elliptical). I'vd done the pineapple core & grape juice crap, bedrest, etc. I'm 35, dh is 29 and has super sperm. I have a teenage dd from my previous marriage, dh has no children.

My current fet cycle: AF started 12/30, I started bcp 1/3, lupron 10u daily beginning this morning (1/13), last bcp 1/17, US & BW 1/20 if ok I'll decrease lupron to 5u daily and begin Vivelle patches and Estradiol Valerate injections every 3-1/2 days. Then approx 2/2 I'll stop lupron and begin PIO daily, transfer of two day 6 blasts (if they both thaw!) 2/7. RE has me beginning tetracycline and medrol (16mg once per day) beginning 2 days before transfer for 4 days total. I was wondering what medrol/prednisone protocol did the trick for you, would you mind sharing? I'm just looking for information. I know we're all different as well as our RE's and protocols, etc. But I'd like to bring up taking a steroid for a longer period if it can possibly help.

Thanks so much in advance. And congrats again!

-Monique

Thanks

Hello Monique,

Thanks for writing and I am glad you found this post... your case sounds very similar to what happened to me, and yes... in the last FET cycle I finally got my BFP. DD is now sleeping peacefully her nap : ) so it can happen !!

There were 3 things I did different that cycle, in different fields ( med, preparation and general attitude to the process.... ) :

- I upped my prednisone dose to 25 mgs. I took it oral but I know some doctors use shots, I am not sure the conversion rate from the shots to pills, but that was my dose with pills. I started the prednisone some days before the transfer, however I have heard that in order to totally disable your immune system, you need to start the steroids at least a week before transfer.
    - I was working out and loosing weight at the time, which for PCOS seems like a key point. You mention you do not have PCOS, and you already exercise, so keep it up, it can only increase your chances.
    - I started doing yoga, meditation and visualization and it helped, probably not directly with the medical side, but with the mood side. I was more relaxed, more prepared and I was more calm with the perspective of letting things happen and not thinking too much during the 2ww. I guess it helped me so my body would not have too much stress hormones that could mess up.

Many cases of unexplained IF are related to immunology. I would like to recommend you to read the posts of a fertility clinic, they do get back to your when you ask questions and they have good knowledge of reproductive immunology. I got tons of info there : http://forums.haveababy.com/ and also very useful to read : http://www.sharedjourney.com/imm.html

I must mention that I am trying for baby # 2 with natural cycles so far but still no results. Each cycle I was using the prednisone again at that dose, and stopped it if no BFP. However, you should know that prednisone has to be taken carefully, for short periods of time, and that it can make you bloated, gain weight, etc. so I would just use it for the time necessary and not for longer time. If you get a BFP on prednisone, you should start tapering it by 20 weeks of pregnancy and slowly, with the support and instructions from a doctor.

Good luck and please keep me posted !! I wish you all the best and hope you get your BFP very, very soon. Let me know if you have any other questions.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Monita For This Useful Post:

renesis (02-07-2012)

Thanks

Smile

Thank you Monita!

I agree with you on the mood aspect of things. I think being healthy mentally & emotionally is as important as physically/medically. I have acupuncture 2, sometimes 3 times per week and have for 6-7 months now. I also use meditation/imagery cds from anji.com both during my acupuncture sessions and at home on a regular basis. They are sooo calming. Fyi... I listen to mine via portable cd player w/headphones, it drowns out everything else and helps me totally escape to my "inner world". I've never tried yoga even though I have it for use with my wii- I just never got around to it. But I recently ordered "Bend, Breathe & Conceive" fertility yoga on dvd that I can't wait to try! = )

I've had immune testing and everything came back normal. In fact, all the results were on the lower side of the normal range. I spoke with my ivf coordinator/nurse today and I asked her about medrol/prednisone for a longer period. She said I don't need it and the medrol 16mg for 4 days is sufficient. She said they used the steroid protocol more aggressively 15+ years ago but they found it to have caused problems with bones & organs so they stopped doing that. Of course I'm willing to try anything for my bfp if it can't hurt, ya know. Well, I have 12- 16mg medrol and 12- 10mg prednisone. I have 12 medrol bc my prescription mail order plan sends a 3 months supply of just about everything they send and I have 12 prednisone bc my primary care physician prescribed it to me for a sinus infection along with a z-pack & cough syrup- I didn't take the prednisone then. I guess I can self medicate based on my own research- but I know that can be a catch 22 and it isn't safe to self medicate! Plus I only have 24 total steroid pills. Or I can just go with doctors orders and stick with the prescribed 4 days of Medrol. *Sigh* Decisions, decisions... either way, if I get a bfp of course I'll be glad I did/didn't but if I get a bfn I'll wonder what if I did/didn't. *Shrug* It just seems to me that the only logical explanation for all my miscarriages/implantation failure is that my body may be rejecting my own babies :'(

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with those links, I will def check them out!

Good luck getting your bfp in the very near future and have fun bd'ing!

I will keep in touch. Hey, you're my very first "forum friend". Lol.

Thanks

ps... they have even done karyotype testing on dh & me; all normal also!

Thanks

Hello Renesis !!

Quick question for you : do you have any sort of allergies ? I ask this because I also came OK from all the tests related to immunology, however because I am a very allergic person, I kinda felt like this may also have an impact on me in terms of fertility. I am allergic to polen, dust, some flowers, some fruits... but basically it all comes related to the polen allergy ( hay fever ) because my body mistakens some fruit enzymes with polen and then I cannot eat them unless they have been cooked.

Based on this, and watching all my allergies go away when I was on prednisone, made me wonder. I also remember I was feeling with fever late in the 2ww so I sense my body was kinda fighting the embryo as if it was something bad for my body....

An interesting suggestion that a friend gave me before my transfer was to have sex the night before transfer. It is doctor recommended in fact because the sperms that go inside make the body "recognize" the cells and then not reject the embryo... not sure of the full explanation of this, but I tried on the last cycle and got a positive, so I guess it cannot hurt....

Thanks

I'm not sure about allergies but with 2 sinus infections in 2 months, my physician is wondering if I may be developing allergies. Good thought.

How long were you on the prednisone and was it 20mg the whole time besides the tapering off at the end? I've been taking 10mg/day of the prednisone since Monday Jan 16. I plan to take that daily and start medrol one week before transfer which will be Wednesday Jan 25 and take it til one equipment after transfer Feb 2. Then back to 10 mg prednisone til I run out just a few days after. I hope it helps and will be nervous to stop but my re doesn't think I need it. Sigh. Well my cycle is advancing quickly and my transfer was moved up to Feb 1 bc I had a period before stopping pills so they let me go in for suppression check- all was good so I decreased lupron to 5u and began vivelle patches & estradiol valerate injections.

I read about the sex before transfer too. My re agreed and we did that last time and will again this time.

Thanks

...one *day* after transfer. Stupid smart phone. Lol.

Thanks

Smile Bfp!!!

Hola Monita.

My transfer went well (Feb 1). Both of my blasts woke up perfectly and my re said I had an amazing lining he doesn't often see with fet's, 12mm & po pattern (?).
    Guess what?! I got my BFP! I got my first on 3dp6dt w/frer and the next morning on a cb digital, of course I've taken a gazillion more since then to watch my lines get darker and the digitals cause I just loved seeing the word PREGNANT pop up! Lol. I'm out of tests now (2 boxes of 3 frer's and a box of 5 digi's!).

I began the prednisone that I got for that sinus infection- the day I started meds. The following week I began one 16mg medrol daily. After transfer I decreased the medrol to 1/2 (8mg) per day and I'm still taking it. I realized I have enough refills of 12 pills each to keep going- so I am! I'll keep on it & taper off when they taper me off the pio & estrogen (HOPING & PRAYING I make it that far, well HOPING & PRAYING I make it all the way to bringing home a healthy baby or two!). I'm not sure if this was the trick or not but I'm glad I decided to take it! And thank you so much for sharing info, I really appreciate it and believe it helped!!!

I sent my ivf coordinator/nurse cell pics of my tests. Her reaction was "HOLY SH*T". Lol. They moved my beta up by only one day (booooo!), to tomorrow from Thurs.

Well I just had to come here and let you know!

I hope all is well with you and ttc! Good luck & baby dust

-Monique : )

Thanks

update: my twin boys are 5 months old! they are great & life I'd good. thanks monita & medrol!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,299 Posts

Congrats!
    Emily (36) & DH Kevin (37), married 10/24/10
    9/22/12 ECTOPIC pregnancy
    10/17 Clomid cycle, no response
    12/1 Higher dose clomid cycle - O, BFN
    1/3 Follistim cycle - OHSS, Chemical pregnancy
    2/11 Follistim cycle 2, lower dose - BFP 3/4! EDD 11/13/13
    3/6 beta 197, p4 33.6! 3/11 beta 1593!
    It's a BOY! Samuel Jacob born 11/2/13 at 38w3d
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

thank you! its been a long road! if this can happen for me, it can happen for anyone! good luck to you!