Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Dong quai, vitex, saw palmetto, wild yam root, conflictions?

Well, I have started taking dong quai pill form. I have heard that saw palmetto, wild yam root, and vitex can also help with the symptoms of PCOS I have, mainly irregular periods and hirsutism (though I have also heard that Irritable Bowel Syndrome may also be a symptom.

So here are my questions.

1. Do these herbs work with each other or may have inflictions?
    2. If possible, does the liquid form superior than capsule?
    3. How safe are these herbs? In the sense of side effects?
    4. What should be the recommended doses for cysters?

Thank you

Registered User MoonStarFalling's Avatar
    Thanks

I take saw palmetto and vitex every day following the dosages on the bottle as some are different concentrations. Dong quai in tea form often. Wild yam I only use to induce a bleed if I have an anovulatory cycle. Liquid vitex is superior to capsules. I've used them for years with no noticeable side effects. Just be sure not to take dong quai while on your period it can make you bleed like crazy.
    Raw Food!
    Hidden Content
    DS 7 years old
    Breastfeeding DD for 2 years!

Thanks

DONG QUAI (in Dong Quai) may interact with SAW PALMETTO (in Saw Palmetto)
    Both dong quai and saw palmetto contain chemicals that may reduce the blood's ability to form clots. When taken together, they can increase the risk of dangerous bleeding. In general, dong quai and saw palmetto should not be taken together. Individuals who take both may need more frequent blood tests to make sure that blood is clotting properly. Those who experience problems may need to stop taking dong quai, saw palmetto, or both. You may want to ask your healthcare provider about this potential interaction if you think you are having problems.
    This interaction is well-documented and is considered minor in severity.

Last Updated:September 2005

SAW PALMETTO (in Saw Palmetto) may interact with CHASTE TREE (in Vitex)
    Both saw palmetto and chaste tree contain chemicals that act like hormones in the body. If they are taken at the same time, their effects may interfere. Individuals who decide to use both together should be alert for decreased effects. If problems occur, saw palmetto, chaste tree, or both may need to be reduced or stopped. You may want to ask your healthcare provider about this potential interaction if you think you are having problems.

SAW PALMETTO (in Saw Palmetto) may interact with WILD YAM (in Wild Yam)
    Both saw palmetto and wild yam contain chemicals that act like hormones in the body. If they are taken at the same time, their effects may interfere. Individuals who decide to use both together should be alert for decreased effects. If problems occur, saw palmetto, wild yam, or both may need to be reduced or stopped. You may want to ask your healthcare provider about this potential interaction if you think you are having problems.

WILD YAM (in Wild Yam) may interact with CHASTE TREE (in Vitex)
    Both wild yam and chaste tree contain phytoestrogens, plant chemicals that act like the hormone estrogen in the body. If they are taken at the same time the risk of estrogenic effects, such as appetite changes, bloating, breast swelling or tenderness, general swelling, nausea, and weight gain may increase slightly. In general, wild yam and chaste tree should not be taken at the same time. Individuals who decide to use both together should be alert for estrogen side effects. If problems occur, wild yam, chaste tree, or both may need to be reduced or stopped. You may want to ask your healthcare provider about this potential interaction if you think you are having problems.

Thanks

good to know about the dong quai (i just started taking it).

i, too, take vitex in a tincture....back in the day when i worked in a healthfood store, we always recommended tincutres because they are more easily assimilated into the blood stream (they don't need to be digested, 1st). but some tincutres just taste horrible...so, you know, you do what you can. vitex isn't so bad, but i cannot handle the taste of dong quai...

i'm a little leary of the interactions posted above, for instance, it is my understanding that vitex does not contain "chemicals that act like hormones"...it instead works on the pituitary and works to bring balance. i've been taking vitex & saw palmetto together and have had really good results. i would recommend doing some research online...there is so much information! and information provided by websites leary of herbal remedies are going to be very different from information provided by websites that support herbal remedies. take everything with a little grain of salt.

herbs do not work like drugs...it is not so much a forceful action as it is an action to bring equilibrium. now, everyone can have different interactions with herbs, so pay attention to your body and know what's going on. but as long as you're following the instructions on the bottle, you should be fine.

you might want to start with one thing at a time so you can know for sure if you're having any negative side effects (and you should be able to tell that pretty quick...if something doesn't agree with you, you'll know!). i'm not built that way & have absolutely no patience, so i jumped feet first into everything =) but i haven't had anything but positive results.

Thanks

Betty - I'm not an expert, but just a quick search (wikipedia) came back with this on vitex. If these compounds isolated in vitex work on the pituitary, then they are acting like hormones, since the pituitary not only responds to direction from the hypothalmus but also responds to feedback loops from the hormones it releases itself. (also I have no idea was a steroidal hormone precursor is) At any rate, it's best for the OP to arm herself with as much information as possible so that she can make a sound decision.

Chemical analysis
    Flavonoids, alkaloids, diterpenoids, Vitexin, Casticin and steroidal hormone precursors have been isolated from the chemical analysis of Vitex agnus-castus.[8] It is believed that some of these compounds work on the pituitary gland which would explain its effects on hormonal levels. A study has shown that extracts of the fruit of VAC can bind to opiate receptors; this could explain why intake of VAC reduces PMS discomforts.[9]

Thanks

harleygirl93...yes, very true, vitex is a hormone precursor, which means the body can create it's own hormones (otherwise, what's the point?) from the action the herb has on the pituitary gland. but it does not contain the hormone itself. hormone precursors are much safer on the body than the straight hormone itself.

thanks for the information.

Thanks

Yes, Betty, all true on precursors not being hormones... but your original caution dealt with the warning that Vitex "acts like a hormone", not that it WAS a hormone. Any hormone secretions that originate from the anterior pituitary gland are driven by (hormonal) direction from the hypothalamus... Meaning the hypothalamus secretes a hormone to tell the pituitary to kick off its own batch of hormone production (FSH/LH/TSH/etc)... Thus, my point that anything that works on the pituitary is "acting" like a hormone, whether it is a hormone, hormone precursor, or whatever. The only other way to work on the pituitary is to interrupt the normal hormone feedback loops for those hormones that the anterior pituitary gland secretes itself, which again, IMO, would be acting like a hormone. I didn't say it was a bad thing. I actually tried Vitex and SP, but didn't get good results from either, so I can't say that perhaps the contra-indication listed above wasn't applicable in my case. Perhaps taking the two together did reduce the effectiveness of taking them separately. Sorry if there was any confusion. I'm glad your particular homeopathic remedy is working for you! Cheers, Dianna

Thanks

Hmm... does anyone know if you can take these herbs along with BCP's? I have a "pcos tincture" consisting of Dong Quai, Vitex, and other herbs that I take on a daily basis, but now that I'm starting back on BCP's I am not sure if I should continue. Of course the doctor is of no use of giving me any helpful information since she is from the free clinic. If anyone takes these in conjunction with BCP's I would greatly appreciate some advice!

Thanks

Lilmisspants - if you go to www.drugdigest.com, and click on Check Interactions at the top, you can search to see if there are any known interactions.... Since you didn't mention what type of BCPs you were taking, I tried it with YAZ and came up with several that deal with Vitex & Wild Yam potentially conflicting with the estradiol that is in Yaz... I think it really depends on what type of BCPs you use... If they are progesterone only, then there's prolly not much interaction, but the ones that contain estrogen may cause side effects if you take along with vitex and wild yam... JMO...

CHASTE TREE (in Vitex) may interact with ETHINYL ESTRADIOL (in Yaz 28 Tablets)
    Chaste tree berries affect the production and utilization of female hormones in the body. If they are taken at the same time as ethinyl estradiol, chaste tree berries may interfere with the way the body uses ethinyl estradiol. Estrogenic effects may increase, possibly raising the risk of side effects, such as appetite changes, bloating, breast swelling or tenderness, general swelling, nausea, and weight gain. Less commonly, chaste tree berries may decrease the effects of ethinyl estradiol, and the symptoms that ethinyl estradiol was prescribed to treat may not be controlled as well as they could be. Individuals who decide to use chaste tree berries and ethinyl estradiol together should be alert for estrogen side effects or signs that ethinyl estradiol is not working adequately. If problems occur, chaste tree berries may need to be reduced or stopped. Discuss this potential interaction with your healthcare provider at your next appointment, or sooner if you think you are having problems.
    This interaction is well-documented and is considered moderate in severity.

WILD YAM (in Wild Yam) may interact with ETHINYL ESTRADIOL (in Yaz 28 Tablets)
    Wild yam contains phytoestrogens, plant chemicals which act like the hormone estrogen in the body. If it is taken at the same time as ethinyl estradiol, wild yam may interfere with the way the body uses ethinyl estradiol. Estrogenic effects may increase, possibly raising the risk of side effects, such as appetite changes, bloating, breast swelling or tenderness, general swelling, nausea, and weight gain. Less commonly, wild yam may decrease the effects of ethinyl estradiol, and the symptoms that ethinyl estradiol was prescribed to treat may not be controlled as well as they could be. In general, wild yam should not be taken at the same time as ethinyl estradiol. Individuals who decide to use wild yam and ethinyl estradiol together should be alert for estrogen side effects or signs that estrogen is not working adequately. If problems occur, wild yam may need to be reduced or stopped. Discuss this potential interaction with your healthcare provider at your next appointment, or sooner if you think you are having problems.
    This interaction is well-documented and is considered moderate in severity.

Thanks

lilmisspants - from my understanding vitex and other herbs which effect our hormones shouldn't be used a long side BCP as it can disrupt it's effectiveness...if you look online there should be some information out there regarding this
    forever in our hearts
    Jan 2009 (10 weeks), June 2011 (6 weeks), DS 3rd Jan 2012 (19 weeks) & July 2012 (12 weeks 4 days)

TTC - Cycle No.4 - 7 March - New to injects - 50IU Puregon - Ovitrelle trigger CD16 - BFP 12dpo!!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Question Interactions?

Do any of you ladies know if these herbs are safe to take while on BCP's?

Thanks

Lilmisspants, umm, I think Snow and I already answered this. See previous 2 posts... BCPs mixed with vitex and wild yam could decrease the effectiveness of BCPs or cause you to have worse side effects than just BCPs alone.

Thanks

Wink Oops...

[quote=HarleyGirl93;1889752888]Lilmisspants - if you go to , and click on Check Interactions at the top, you can search to see if there are any known interactions....

Lol, sorry about the multiple posts, at first I got an error message when I posted the first question, so I thought it didn't go through, but now I see that it did. Thank you ladies for that info, that really helps!

Thanks

Is Vitex, Dong Quai help produce more estrogen? I know its to balance female hormones, but if someone has lower estrogen, will this help to raise estrogen?

Thanks

have any of you tried nu ke ba zhen wan- its chinese medicine that has these ingredients: (below) iM wondering if a). I can take this with vitex and with metformin. Im feeling down cause i havent gotten my period since my m/c in Jnauary. We want to try again but wanted to actually get my period naturally first.

Rehmannia glutinosa root-prep., Angelica sinensis root, Paeonia lactiflora root, Codonopsis pilosula root, Poria cocs fungus, Atractylodes macrocephala rhizome, Ligusticum wallichii rhizome, Glycyrrhiza uralensis root.