SoulCyster from NC Ms_Peaches_01's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Weight Loss on Spiro?

I have been on Spironolactone for about 3 weeks and have lost 12 pounds! Is anybody else losing weight on Spiro?
    HCG rocks.
    70 pounds lost on HCG, 20 more to go.

Thanks

I started spiro and metformin at the same time, lost 30 lb. in three mos., then didn't loose any more. I wasn't dieting or doing anything different, but I did notice an appetite suppression of sorts. I figure this is from my insulin level being lowered by the metformin.
    jrwsmith-------
    age 31
    diagnosed in teens
    married, 2 children
    on metformin, spironolactone, BCP

Thanks

I just started met 1 week ago and have lost about 3 pounds. Like you, I have also noticed a decrease in appetite which may be because of the nausea. I started the spiro before the met, and found myself having to pee much more frequently. Maybe the weight loss due to losing the excess water.

Thanks for sharing
    HCG rocks.

Thanks

I, too lost a lot of weight on spiro (about 20 pounds over a year) without dieting. I definitely experienced lower appetite and much less craving for sweets! At first I couldn't figure out what it was, but in terms of meds, the spiro was the only thing that changed. I'm sure some of it was water loss (I lost a lot of bloating, presumably due to the diuretic effect of spiro) but probably 15 pounds was permanent! (I started at 185 pounds or so.)
    Janet
    DS#1 1991 after losing weight, DS#2 1995 after 1 cycle of Humegon (injectible)
    Yasmin (previously Diane-35), Synthroid 0.15 mg, Spiro 100 mg

Thanks

I also lost about 5 pounds with no dieting during the first two weeks of taking spiro.

Spiro is a diuretic which causes you to lose water. A person can lose up to 10 pounds or more in water weight. I assumed my weight loss is due to that reason.
    Symptoms: Obesity, Hirsutism, Hair Loss, Irregular Menstruation, Insulin Resistance, Hypothyroidism, Acid Reflux, Acanthosis Nigricans

Daily Medications/Vitamins: 500 mg Flutamide, 137 mcg Synthroid, 1000 mg Metformin, Apri (BCPs),
    40 mg Omaprezole, 300 mg Ranitidine, .5 mg Enapril, Zyrtec, Women's Ultramega Multivitamin

Weight Stats: Original: 230, Current: 209, Short/Long Term Goals: 200/130
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks for sharing everyone. My weight loss seems to be tapering off a bit now. I agree.. it must be due to the shedding of excess water.
    HCG rocks.

Thanks

Wink How much has everyone else lost on Spiro??

Hi everyone,
    My endo put me on 100mg of Spiro about 4 years ago...I took it for a few months and I was down about 20-30 pounds...but I was also following Weight Watchers a bit tool. I was exercising on a daily basis...but really what I think helped was the Spiro. I stopped taking it for a couple of years...and couldn't lose a single pound it seemed....now I started taking it again...the scale moved finally...and in 3 weeks I am down 5 pounds! I only took the Spiro for 1 week of it too.
    Anyway, I am just wondering HOW MUCH one can lose with the Spiro...in regards to water retention. I tend to puff right out and retain all over...So, the shedding of the water is a relief!
    Last edited by Roo35; 02-03-2003 at 12:57 AM.