Thanks

Default dark elbows/knuckles?

Okay, speaking of weird...

I'm fairly fair-skinned, but my elbows and knuckles are ALWAYS a medium/dark brown. not the dark acanthus negrans (sp?) that I've seen - velvety dark patches , but just look dirty all the time only on the areas where bones are.

is this related to IR? anyone else have it? does it go away when IR is better managed???? will i always have this?

thanks!!!!
    Dx Oct 2005

Hidden Content

Round 4 (09.16.09) Follistim/IUI = BFP but lost our twin boys due to I/C: Jonah Harrison at 17w4d (2.5.10) and Noah Daniel at 18w2d (2.10.10), missing them every day.
    Transabdominal Cerclage placed Sept '10
    Round 6 (07.10) Follistim/IUI = BFP, Isaac born 2.26.11 at 35w1d via emergency c/s
    Round 7 (05.12) Follistim/IUI = BFN
    Round 8 (06.12) Follistim/IUI = 2ww

Thanks

I have the same thing and I hate it. I can feel very insecure about it at times. I always thought that skin discoloration was a symptom of PCOS oh and I also have it on my inner thighs.

Thanks

Its quite possibly acanthosis nigricans and if thats what it is, then it is related to IR. I noticed it went away fastest for me when I was on Metformin but came back as soon as I was off.

Pictures of Acanthosis Nigricans
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me (28), DH (30)
    Diagnosed Aug 2005.

Symptoms: No periods, obese, excessive hair
    , acne
    Hidden Content
    Food and Nutrition and Economics Teacher
    Tracking calories & exercising - no gimmicks or diets!

Love my gym! Been at it for a year now!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Hi Feb, how are you??

I was on Met for several months and am off of it now in hopes that my love affair with Sean CCV3 and working out can have the same positive effects. I have yet to get rid of the dark skin in my arm pits and on the knuckle of my big toes. It is very frustrating!

Has anyone found a "cure"? I remember someone saying they got an acidic compound of some sort from a pharmacist that got rid of this. With Summer right around the corner I would sure love to get rid of this.

Thanks

I've got it on my neck and a lil under my arms... arghhh... Hardly have my hair up because of it.... looks like thick dirt on my neck... I hate it!!
    Medication - Metformin 1000mg per day
    Exercise - Shaun T's Insanity
    Diet - Low Carb, high protein, A LOT of Greens
    Weight- SW: (2009) 271lbs - CW: 208lbs - GW: 168lbs - UGW 154lbs
    Hidden Content "Look at the stars.. Look how they shine for you & everything you doooo.." Hidden Content

Thanks

I have the dark spots on my neck under my breasts and my knuckles which are also very dry!! I was told to use selsun blue shampoo on the darks spots.. apply 10 min before you shower and it helps lighten them..GL

Thanks

lemon juice

Registered User Chaos In My Body's Avatar
    Thanks

aarrgghh i'm dealing with this now....i'm running to get some lemon juice lol

Thanks

I've got a patch on my wrist, all around the base of my neck, in between my breasts. I hate it because it makes me feel dirty. I'm going to try the lemon juice as well. Hope it works!!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have the same thing. It's on my knuckles, my wrist, my chest, my back, and it seems to be spreading.

I've had this since I was 11 years old and it started on my chest area. When I finally told my doctor about it at age 15 she brushed it off as it being my hormones changing and all that good stuff. Boy did she miss the boat big time on that one.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Herbs/Vits/Supplmnts: Inositol (powder), Maca Root (powder), Raspberry Leaf Tea,&Stress Free
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Registered User spongebobmami86's Avatar
    Thanks

My elbows have always been dark, although they got lighter when I lost weight years ago (I since have gained it back and then some). My knuckles have recently gotten darker and cracked. It hurts sometimes. I did have a spot on my wrist but that went away. I have no idea why. . . I wish the rest would go away. . .

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I've got that too. When I was younger my grandma would drag me to the sink and scrub at my knuckles until they were red and raw. She thought it didn't look feminine. I always attributed it to the SoCal sunshine. Good to know that's just part of the fun too!
    "A woman may develop wrinkles and cellulite, lose her waistline, her bustline, her ability to bear a child, even her sense of humor, but none of that implies a loss of her sexuality, her femininity”
    -Barbara Gordon

Thanks

This sounds like it is probably acanthosis nigricans. According to my endocrinologist it occurs mostly in areas where there is pressure or friction. I'm not sure what would cause it on your knuckles, but elbows are apparently common, especially if you lean on them. Knees too. She has treated Muslim patients who have a patch on their forehead where it touches the mat when they pray.

She seems to think that mine (mostly underarms) will go away eventually when the IR is under control.

Thanks

I was told by my Endo. that this was due to IR. Mine is the back of my neck, inner thighs and under my breasts. My sister also has this and her doc told her the same thing. He also said that after a while on the Met it should regulate that.

He told me they often use that as finding a symptom for someone who has PCOS, along with all the other fun stuff...LOL GL Ladies !!
    Me: 33 DH: 29
    DS: July 2002
    DD: October 2010
    DD2: August 2012