Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Reducing prolactin level ?

I found out that my prolactin level are relatively high (32 at the 2nd day of the cycle). A part from taking Dostinex, do you have any more “natural” suggestion ? My doctor told me that it could be also linked to stress...
    Thank !

Thanks

i know that vitex reduces prolactin levels.

also, don't underestimate the power of stress on our bodies! i take several supplements to help with stress (see my signature)...it's sort of an ongoing battle with me with diet, exercise and learning how to relax.

Thanks

Hi, thanks for that! I'm taking Clomid at the moment and I know that Vitex cannot be taken at the same time.What is sernity with Kava kava ? I guess it helps you to relax ..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marty74 View Post
    Hi, thanks for that! I'm taking Clomid at the moment and I know that Vitex cannot be taken at the same time.What is sernity with Kava kava ? I guess it helps you to relax ..
    yes, i take the herbal serenity to help me relax, especially before bed. there's information on their website at http://www.gaiaherbs.com/product.php?id=262 i've also taken it to help reduce menstrual cramps or if i'm freaking out about something (which i try to keep to a minimum) =) i find that taking the herbal serenity, i sleep better and have fewer backaches in the morning, probably cuz i'm not as tensed up at night. when i'm stressed, i tense up and hold everything in my back. i'm also finding that i'm having fewer issues with anxiety (along with the adrenal health supplement i take).

i found this interesting article yesterday with information on prolactin, herbs and other pcos information. if you cannot take vitex, there might be something else you can take? i don't know much about clomid & possible contraindications, but i'm sure you'll find someone on here who does

Thanks

Hi Betty, thanks for all your suggestions. I started taking White Peony herbal teas and see how my condition will be . I'm going to try Sernity too .. I'm also interested in your adrenal health supplements .. how did you find about all of them ? Thanks !!

Thanks

marty....i used to work in a healthfood store, so i've always been interested in herbs. i also have a bunch of books and i read a lot. getting the blood test results of the high dhea lead me to start looking into issues with the adrenal glands. there are people on here who understand all the processes, etc...which is amazing, because i just don't =) but i try to learn what i can based on what's going on with my own body.
    gaia herbs is one of my favorite herbal companies and they actually have a lot of information on their website.

Thanks

Hi Betty , thanks for all your suggestions...Unfortunatly I cannot find Gaia Herbs where I live ( Europe) and I'm looking for somenthing similar.
    You said you have a bunch of books on that , can you suggest me any titles ? Thanks !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marty74 View Post
    I started taking White Peony herbal teas and see how my condition will be .
    Hi! I have high prolactin levels too. I had a pituitary tumor that was causing it. My tumor's been removed and I've only seen a minor improvement. I'm afraid my endo's going to want to put me back on dostinex, which made me soooo sick. I've been looking for herbal remedies too. I read about the peony tea but haven't tried it yet. Please let me know how that works out for you. I also read that sage tea helps reduce prolactin levels (it's apparently an herbal remedy for mothers trying to wean their babies). I tried the sage tea, I didn't really notice a difference, but I didn't do it for very long -- a week I think. I'll try it again and see how it works. I'm thinking that there's some other hormone imbalance that's causing my prolactin to be high... If I find something that works, I'll definitely share.
    No PCOS diagnosis yet...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bettylanguage View Post
    i found this interesting article yesterday with information on prolactin, herbs and other pcos information. if you cannot take vitex, there might be something else you can take? i don't know much about clomid & possible contraindications, but i'm sure you'll find someone on here who does
    Betty--
    How did you find that article and have you seen any more like it? I have high prolactin levels, which I was told was being caused by a pituitary tumor. I had the tumor removed and I still have high prolactin levels. For years, I have been trying to tell doctors (five different ones) that I have PCOS, but they won't treat me for it until my prolactin level goes down. That article says that women with PCOS can have high prolactin levels due to estrogen dominance. I'm going to take that article to my endo and have her do a glucose tolerance test and a full screening of my estrogen, testosterone and other sex hormones. I was just wondering if you had come across any more information like that so I can show it to her as well. I can't thank you enough for just posting the link to that article. I feel like I've got the solution to a mystery that's been plaguing me since 2001.
    No PCOS diagnosis yet...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Femaprin lowers prolactin. It contains vitex and vitamin B6 which both are prolactin-lowering according to clinical studies. Check out the Femaprin thread, link in my signature.
    Losing wieght down to a healthy weight by counting bites
    Hidden Content
    my wieght loss vlog
    Hidden Content

Reached my goal weight in 18 weeks!!! Went from 218.2 lbs to 149.8 lbs!! 68.4 lbs lost! Click on link above and feel free to ask me any questions about counting bites ect for weight loss!

Thanks

Hi, I have started taking white peony tea and I guess it will take a bit before noticing any effect ... I cannot take femaprim, as I'm taking clomid and as far as I know vitex cannot be taken at the same time. I started taking Magnesium , which is helping me a bit and a vitamen complex with B6 too. I was told that my level is high because of stress .. (it's not too high, terribly high i mean ... ) ... I knew sage helps to strenghen the uterus, not sure abiut the effect on the prolactin..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mishee View Post
    Betty--
    How did you find that article and have you seen any more like it? I have high prolactin levels, which I was told was being caused by a pituitary tumor. I had the tumor removed and I still have high prolactin levels. For years, I have been trying to tell doctors (five different ones) that I have PCOS, but they won't treat me for it until my prolactin level goes down. That article says that women with PCOS can have high prolactin levels due to estrogen dominance. I'm going to take that article to my endo and have her do a glucose tolerance test and a full screening of my estrogen, testosterone and other sex hormones. I was just wondering if you had come across any more information like that so I can show it to her as well. I can't thank you enough for just posting the link to that article. I feel like I've got the solution to a mystery that's been plaguing me since 2001.
    hi mishee, i'm so glad that link was helpful!!! i have no idea where or how i found it...i often do random google searches with a symptom or an herb and have found some interesting information that way. i've looked into vitex quite a bit, along with anything i can find about lowering elevated dhea with herbs. i'm determined to treat this naturally. i'm also interested in lowering prolactin levels...i haven't had that tested, but i know that prolactin can cause menstral cramps and for several years i've had really bad cramps. taking vitex has helped a lot, so i'm guessing it's helped lower my prolactin levels. (but i'm just guessing).

i think the more we can know about our bodies the better...that being said, i really hate going to the doctor and having my blood drawn, so i'm not as informed as i probably should be i'm curious how your tests will come out...please share whatever youfind out!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bettylanguage View Post
    hi mishee, i'm so glad that link was helpful!!! i have no idea where or how i found it...i often do random google searches with a symptom or an herb and have found some interesting information that way. i've looked into vitex quite a bit, along with anything i can find about lowering elevated dhea with herbs. i'm determined to treat this naturally. i'm also interested in lowering prolactin levels...i haven't had that tested, but i know that prolactin can cause menstral cramps and for several years i've had really bad cramps. taking vitex has helped a lot, so i'm guessing it's helped lower my prolactin levels. (but i'm just guessing).

i think the more we can know about our bodies the better...that being said, i really hate going to the doctor and having my blood drawn, so i'm not as informed as i probably should be i'm curious how your tests will come out...please share whatever youfind out!
    Well thank you for posting it anyway. It has made all the difference in the world to me. I've been researching some of the citations in the article and once I find more information I'll post it too. I had no idea that PCOS and prolactin could be related... and my doctors never told me that either. I was originally planning to ask them about diagnosing me with PCOS after my prolactin levels got back to normal, but now I know that without treatment for PCOS (if I have it) my prolactin levels might never be normal. It's like someone just turned on a light in the room that I've been stumbling around in the dark. I don't think I could ever thank you enough.

I like the idea of treating things with herbs too. I've had so many bad experiences with the medications my doctors have prescribed for all these different symptoms. I started vitex about a week ago, we'll see how that goes. I'm excited about it. I wouldn't be surprised that prolactin has something to do with bad menstral cramps, I used to have terrible cramps when I was on BCP but the cramps were never that bad when I wasn't taking them. I think that BCP just made everything worse. I hate going to the doctor too. I'll let you know how my tests go... I don't have an appointment until the end of july, so it'll be awhile. But in the meantime I'm going to see how the vitex works. I'll post about my experience for sure. Thanks again.
    No PCOS diagnosis yet...

Thanks

Well, I'm going to update you guys. I've been taking vitex for exactly two weeks (I'm trying to reduce my prolactin level and I'd be thrilled if it helped my cycles too). It's working... I'm feeling better. Hopefully this isn't TMI, but my breasts are feeling less swollen and full and they aren't leaking anymore. They're starting to feel like they did when I was on Dostinex, but the vitex doesn't make me violently ill like Dostinex did. I can tell that my prolactin levels are finally decreasing. I won't have a blood test done until the end of July but I'll let you guys know how it goes. It looks like the vitex will have brought on AF too, it's a little early but I'll be glad if I just have a normal and regular AF. I'm so glad I found you guys... it's making such a difference to me already.
    No PCOS diagnosis yet...

Thanks

Hi Mishee

I too have a prolactinoma and taking the hateful dostinex for it.

Has your tumor grown back? I suggest that you get your thyroid levels checked. Also, are you on anti-depressants or BCP 'cause those can also raise prolactin levels.

Also, I am confused about the article posted earlier. The article states that

Hyperprolactinemia results from abnormal estrogen negative feedback via the pituitary gland. Elevated prolactin can in turn contribute to elevated estrogen levels.
    But, all the endos I have seen told me that prolactinoma causes low estrogen. I believe this to be true because I also have muscle weakness, low calcium levels, vaginal dryness, low libido, and dry skin - all symptoms of low estrogen.

Please see these articles

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/prolactinoma/ds00532
    http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec13/ch162/ch162f.html

It is a bit confusing though...please see your endo. for better diagnosis in your case.

By the way, have your prolactin levels decreased on vitex? What dosage of vitex are you taking?

Please send me a private message if you would like more details on my story.

God bless