Thanks

Default Metformin and Phentermine

Has anyone here taken Metformin & Phentermine together? (There are lots of different 'commercial' names for phentermines.) If so, what kind of results did you have?

The reason why I'm asking, is because I have been taking metformin for several months now and I have not lost any weight. Before taking metformin last year, I took phentermines and lost weight. Since I've stopped taking phentermines, I've gained about 20 lbs and I would like to start taking them again along with metformin.

Thanks

I don't know the answer either, but I am curious to see what you find out. I actually called my RE this am and asked if I could take Metformin, Synthroid and Phentermine (Adipex-P) together and they actually told me that they didn't know... I was not pleased with that answer. I had a different dr prescribe the Adipex before I went to the RE and neither appears to know the answer.
    Heidi(31) Josh(31)
    Male Factor 1/05 (hx of testicular cancer)
    3 failed injectable/IUI cycles and 2 failed IVF's w/no frosties
    Meds: Kariva BCP, synthroid, Celexa, Norvasc

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11.1

Thanks

Hi Heidi. Thanks for responding. I hope we find someone on this board that has actually taken the meds together.

Thanks

I'm sorry to post another "I don't know" answer. But I can tell you that you will always gain weight lost by phentermine back when you stop taking it, typically plus some. And it is only effective for about a few months at a time, so it's not as if you can (or would want to) take it for a long period of time.

Thanks

Im not sure about the Metformin, i was wondering the same thing. I was taking Fastin (practically the same as phentramine) before i found out i had PCOS. My doc put me on BC and made me stop the Fastin.
    April 09 - diagnosed with PCOS
    May 09 - Started Metformin 1000 mg

Thanks

Thanks Robin and Bright eyes for the replies. I'm still wondering.....

Thanks

Red face Metformin and Phentermine

Hi room, i was prescribed metformin by my gyno and phentermine by my primary doc. On metformin alone, i lost 5lbs in 1 month. the following month i started the phentermine and was taking it with metformin. That month (actually this month, cause i just completed the whole month on both) I lost 12lbs. So 17lbs in 2 months total. I have not had any side effects and my dr said they were ok to take together.

4/21 - 246
    5/14 - 241
    6/15 - 229

Thanks

Is it common to ask your doctor to prescribe the phentermine? So far I am only on 500mg of Met and taking progesterone for Endometrial Cancer which has a side effect of weight gain so the Met isn't helping with shedding any weight at all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by latina227 View Post
    Hi room, i was prescribed metformin by my gyno and phentermine by my primary doc. On metformin alone, i lost 5lbs in 1 month. the following month i started the phentermine and was taking it with metformin. That month (actually this month, cause i just completed the whole month on both) I lost 12lbs. So 17lbs in 2 months total. I have not had any side effects and my dr said they were ok to take together.

4/21 - 246
    5/14 - 241
    6/15 - 229

Thank you soo much for your answer. I've actually started the phen on Monday (along with the met)..... and no side effects yet. I've lost 2 lbs.

Thanks

I am on Metformin and Phentermine together. I take 2000 mg of Met, and 30 mg of Phentermine a day.

I actually went to see a nurse practitioner to get the phentermine, and before she knew I was already on met, she suggested I take it as well. Before then, I was only on 1500 mg.

So far, I've been doing both of them at the same time for 3 weeks. I've lost 15 pounds as of today. I'm thrilled. No side effects at all.

I'm not worried about gaining the weight back. When I was on Met alone, my weight was stable for an entire year. I just needed a jump start in losing the weight.

Thanks

I'm not 100% sure what the Met is supposed to do for PCOS patients. I know it keeps your blood sugar in check but is it supposed to help us ovulate or just get on a normal cycle?

Kansas City, KS formerly from Overland Park but had to change it here since someone asked me to, will not mention any names because Chula might get mad.....lol
    Thanks

Reggyosu- yes, you do tend to ovulate and have a normal cycle. Its kind of a side effect really, since you regulate the insulin it triggers your body to be "normal" again. That's why a lot of women tend to get pregnant while on met.

To answer the original question, yes, you can take met and phentermine together. I was prescribed both but only took the phentermine because met makes me have horrible side effects.

Did lose weight and naturally got pregnant.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Fighting for peace is like F*cking for virginity

Thanks

I have been on both met & Phentermine for about 4mos now, within the first 2 months I lost 35 lbs & counting!!!! Working out helped a lot as well as the meds. So yes it is safe!!!~~~I just hope the Met starts working on my ovulation bcuz we r trying to get pregnant!!!

Thanks

Yes, I have been on Phentermine (30mg) for the last 5 months. To date I have lost 53 lbs. My new OB/GYN (who has a wonderful reputation) recently placed me on Metformin (working up to 2000mg) and told me that it was fine to take them together. Also, because I am of "advanced" age (37!!!) he told me that it would be OK for me to try and conceive as long as I promise to stop the Phentermine the minute I find myself pregnant...which, of course, I would do. So far I have had no unexpected negative side effects from the combo (other than a very yucky taste in my mouth!) He did say, however, that if I were 25 rather than 37 he would have told me to delay conception...

Thanks

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 3 months ago. My OBGYN put me on 1500mg of Metformin. I had a rough time with the side effects for the first couple of months, but seem to have adjusted now. Last summer my primary doctor put me on Adipex. I had great results and stopped after two months because I thought I could keep going on my own. Unfortunately I put all the weight back on (about 25 pounds). I really think that with the Met regulating everything now, I can keep the weight off this time. My doctor has changed (military health care) and I'm not sure if I can convince my new doctor to prescribe this for me. I think a lot of doctors are against weight loss pills. If she says no I don't know what I'm going to do because I'm not having ANY luck on my own. Ugh...