Thanks

Unhappy Slow healing from gallbladder removal?

I had my gallbladder taken out on this past Monday and I was told by a lot of people that it was so easy, I'd be back to work within days etc etc. However, this is not the case for me! I'm horribly nauseated and dizzy with constant pain at my insicion sites (they are not infected, just painful). I haven't been out of bed for longer than ten mins to shower. Anyone else who has had this done, did it take you this long to bounce back? I just need some enouragement!
    Thanks,
    Tiffany

Registered User tiffanyleigh614's Avatar
    Thanks

For me, my gallbladder surgery was also extremely painful. Just rest and relax and take your painpills, you should start feeling a little better in about a week or so.. Goodluck!

Thanks

I had mine out when I was 26, so 10 yrs ago. I wouldn't take your pal's stories about people "going back to work right away" too seriously; who knows what really happened with their situations? Just having the gallbladder/stones gone will make a person feel better, but you have a lot of sutured tissue underneath those tiny cuts. I recall moving so slowly because my belly hurt/felt tight even with the pain pills. It was a good week before that feeling ended. My advice is to use a pillow to support your middle when lying down on your side and to put a soft icepack over the bandaged incisions a few minutes every hour to relieve the pain.

That said, if you ever have any pain that feels like the old gallbladder has grown back, see the dr. right away! One week after my removal, I had relentless nausea, vomiting, and then pain in the chest/abdomen/upper back that resembled gallbladder attack. I also starting turning yellow (skin/eyes). The dr. figured out that a stone had slipped out during surgery and lodged into the bile duct, partly blocking the flow of bile from the liver. It ended up working its way out the next day during a procedure in which they were going to get an image of the duct, and I was fine. I hope you never have anything like that occur, but I wanted to mention it.
    I am: age 41; single, no children Hidden Content
    PCOS w/insulin resistance, obesity, & hypothyroidism
    Glumetza, spironolactone, tirosint, & (generic) cytomel...chromium, flax oil, acidophilus pearls, PB8
    Hidden Content Hello, PCOS? Take a flying leap!

Thanks

Thanks for the words of support, I hate not being able to do stuff, but I need to give my body a break. I did not actually have stones, so I should be ok, but thanks for the heads up.

Thanks

I was out for two weeks. . . belly was tight and turns out I'm allergic to band aids, and the staples they used to close the incisions didn't agree with me very well either!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Currently TTC with Soy!

Jamison Conard lost on 10-31-2008 at 18wks due to sever spinabifida

Hidden Content

Cheri prediction- Girl, September Boy, July

Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up LaBigGirl, on this past Saturday I began to have very bad pain, nausea and vomiting. I ended up going to the ER and although I didn't have any problems per se with the gallbladder removal itself, I had several infections that required me to be admitted to the hospital. I totally thought of your post when thinking about whether or not I should get through the pain or get it checked out. I am glad that I got my issues with the infections caught early, thanks for your info, it really helped me out!

Tiffany

Thanks

Tiffany, I'm glad you got the right treatment for the infections! It sounds like a miserable time, but you're feeling better now I hope. And when you think about it, each time you go into surgery is different...how does a person know how they are supposed to feel when they have a gallbladder out? It's a one-time thing.
    I am: age 41; single, no children Hidden Content
    PCOS w/insulin resistance, obesity, & hypothyroidism
    Glumetza, spironolactone, tirosint, & (generic) cytomel...chromium, flax oil, acidophilus pearls, PB8
    Hidden Content Hello, PCOS? Take a flying leap!

Thanks

The anesthesiologist who seemed to be listening to me when I told him I have problems being put under was a jerk!!
    I spent 48 hours after my gallbladder removal surgery vomiting, and dry heaving. The idiots in day surgery at 4pm (closing time) come to me as I am heaving saying "Is there anything else we can do for you?" I threw up in my brothers car a lovely shade of dark green (bile) on the way home. I ended up popping my staples from the constant contraction of my stomach muscles from vomiting.
    I ended up back at the hospital under "observation" status. They finally gave me a shot of something to stop the vomiting. Why couldn't they do that before? Who knows. It took a very long time for me to heal. I don't know why they say you'll be up and about and back to work in a week or two. I guess they try and use it as a sales pitch for the laproscopic surgery, so that way there they can get more in and make more $$ off of our insurance.

Last year I had my left ovary removed and this time the anesthesiologist listened to me and gave me the proper drugs while I was under. Healing from that surgery was much quicker since I didn't have to deal with the nausea and vomiting. I was back to work in 2 weeks. I actually wrote a note of thanks to the anesthesiologist.
    Mom to Cameron age 13. Such a hard age! I wish I was back at the terrible two's!

Mom to 2 furbabies. Mrs. Bud (my 10 year old altered female tuxedo kitty)
    Meeno ( my 5 year old altered male tuxedo kitty)

Have my first pumpkin! winddrop's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I had mine done in 03. I think it took me about 5 days before I wore normal clothes. I requested that they let me take the gown from the hospital home and I lived in that.
    It took about 2 weeks or more before I could lay on my side.

Side note, my grandfather was in the hospital for pain from gallstones. The kicker is that he had his gallblader removed about 5 years ago!! Apparently, even though it's removed your body can still make the stones.

So watch what you eat, and if those old symptoms come back, you might want to get checked out to see if you have stones again.