Thanks

Thumbs up Progesterone - how it can help with anxiety / depression

Hi Ladies,

It´s been some time since I last posted here. I have been struggling in the past with anxiety issues ( for the past years ) and had it under control using bach flowers and natural remedies, after trying Zoloft ( which only made me feel worse ) and trying also therapy with doctors.

I found out that my issue with anxiety was more related to hormonal problems, than to personal issues that I had not overcome. I used to think that my TTC struggle was bringing the anxiety, and well it was contributing to it, but in fact, the root of the problem, was my PCOS and my hormonal issues.

Before I got PG, I started a very strick diet including apple cider vinegar and exercise ( pilates and cardio ) and started loosing weight pretty fast. I started feeling better but still had the occasional panic attack at night. Then, few months ago, after years trying, I finally got PG and now I am 4.5 months along.

One of my concerns was if during pregnancy I would have these awful panic attacks and if this would harm my baby because anxiety is not good and at certain age they can feel it. But to my surprise, ever since I got pregnant, I had only 1 panic attack and it was triggered by a fight with my husband so it had a very specific trigger, but other than that... I can sleep every night calm and relaxed and no panic anymore.

I remembered that someone, in some thread, told that PROGESTERONE deficiency is linked to anxiety and depression issues.... and I read that progesterone is the hormone that not only helps with the pregnancy development, but also maintains the mother calmed and relaxed and works at brain level normalizing the transmittors and in a way, sedating the mother to be for the upcoming process of pregnancy. I heard progesterone is used for post partum depression too.

Well... since my transfer I was on heavy progesterone doses, and now that I suspended the artificial progesterone, I am still on natural progesterone cream for support, as I know I have a deficiency problem and I wanted to make sure I had sufficient. I really think that progesterone is helping too with the panic issues and helping me stay relaxed. I plan to continue using it in the future.

If you are not TTCing or pregnant, you can use it too. There are instructions in the natural progesterone creams that indicate what days of the cycle to use it and what days to stop before your period comes. I think it is very interesting, a natural way to balance our bodies and it can´t hurt to try. I just can witness that when I was on progesterone, and now that my body is also producing it for the baby, from 2-3 panic episodes per week, I went to 1 in almost 5 months.

Just wanted to share.... if anybody tries it and it works, or has a similar experience with progesterone, let us know !!

Thanks

That is awesome to hear. I also struggle with anxiety and panic attacks and I am TTC. I have also worried that once I get pregnant, will it be one long anxiety attack? Getting pregnant has been my greatest desire and also my greatest fear for this one reason.

The toughest part about my panic attacks is that I cannot pinpoint a reason for them. It's like I'm anxious about having a panic attack and that brings on an attack. There seems to be no stressors in my life that trigger it (not that my life is perfect, but its good). It would make sense that anxiety I feel is hormonal.

I was on celexa for a while and have stopped taking it because I'm TTC and am trying to manage the anxiety on my own. I have some good days and some bad.

I have read before that progesterone has the same calming effect as valium.

Do you know if it is safe to use progesterone cream while TTC?
    Have not had a period ever with out BCP.
    Dx with PCOS 2006
    TTC 2007
    Metformin ER 1500 mg daily 2007
    Provera every 3 months 2007
    (BCP to regulate menstral before that)
    First Cycle of Clomid 50mg April 2009
    Amy 27 Hubby 30
    Fur Baby - Leo Rottweiler

Thanks

Abidder : not only it is safe, but recommended. You can integrate it in your cycles and make them even more succesful. The progesterone cream I am buying is named Progest, you should google it and check their web page and instructions to use during your cycles. I think you will see a difference, not only in the anxiety but also in your cycles.

I am convinced it has helped me lots to stay calm and relaxed during my pregnancy and plan to use it after my baby is born.

Let us know how it worked out for you after you try it !!