Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Registered User SweetGirl55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    452
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Apri Ethinyl Estradiol and Desogestrel Birth Control Pill

    1.Is anyone on Apri??? Ethinyl estradiol and desogestrel???

    Brand Names: Apri, Cesia, Cyclessa, Desogen, Kariva, Mircette, Ortho-Cept, Reclipsen, Solia, Velivet

    2.Or has anyone been on it???
    3.Did it cause u to gain weight???
    4.What were your side effects of being on it???
    5.If someone was going to have a side effect of weight gain on the Apri
    pill when would they???
    My doctor put me on it but I'm not sure about taking it because I don't want to gain weight,I know with the Othro Evra patch I never gained weight.
    6.What ALL should I do???

  2. #2
    Registered User Sara280's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    My doctor just gave it to me too. I don't want to take it because every birth control makes me gain weight. But she said I should take it to balance my hormones. I haven't gotten my period in 2 months and my testosterone levels were higher than normal.

  3. #3
    Endo Cyster! Ashleystar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    327
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    2.I have been on Desogen before. I was on it for 1.5 years leading up to my dx PCOS, then after 2 years on other pills, I went back on it for about 9 months.

    3.Did it cause u to gain weight??? No, I lost over 40 pounds on it the first time, without going out of my way to try!

    4.What were your side effects of being on it??? A bit of nausea and some headaches which could be quite bad, but I stayed on it for a good while and so must have been ok! I did find I got quite moody before AF.

    5.If someone was going to have a side effect of weight gain on the Apri
    pill when would they??? Relax, Desogestrel is a good progestogen. It is a low dose pill, and unless you are eating loads and loads more than usual, (so obviously be careful!!!) you won't put on weight. You would notice this properly after a few months. Self-control beats the cravings, but I really didn't experience any on this pill! I am prone to put on weight, but with this one I didn't at all, in fact quite the opposite!

    My doctor put me on it but I'm not sure about taking it because I don't want to gain weight,I know with the Othro Evra patch I never gained weight.
    6.What ALL should I do??? Please try it, I had great results with it for a while, and it is considered 2nd best to Yasmin by many doctors for PCOS. It is anti-androgenic (great for acne in particular) and gives great cycle control.


    Hope this helps xx

  4. #4
    Registered User Koda63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I was on Apri/Ortho-Cept for 16 years. I did gain some weight, but over all it was not bad. Light, quick periods, no acne.

  5. #5
    Registered User nurse_cyster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    166
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    ive taken all the different brands, desogen, reclipsen and apri and i never had any side effects or weight gain. it actually made me feel good. i know it dosent lower testosterone as much as other bcps, my doc told me, and it is a monophasic pill, so your mood should not suffer. idk it is a personal decision, i liked this particular pill, but i wanted better testosterone control for my male pattern hair growth so i switched to Yaz.
    me-Rita (25) DH Jose (29)Hidden Content
    dx PCOS at 16/dx IR 8/08/ dx1/2010 MTHFR C667T
    TTC since 2006
    11/08 IVF cycle #1 -BFN
    06/09 IVF cycle #2-BFN
    11 embryos waiting on ice!


    Hidden Content Rita Hidden Content

  6. #6
    Registered User moojones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I've been taking Kariva for about a year. I've never had any bad side effects from it, except for the first month or two because I had never been on any type of birth control before. It's really helped with making my mood more even and having lighter periods with much lighter cramps. My skin is probably about 80% clearer than it was before. I gained weight while taking it, but less than 10 pounds. I'm fairly sure that it wasn't from the BCP because it was between 5-8 months after I had been taking it that the weight gain occurred, and I was also in my first year of college, so not being as active as I used to be and not eating as healthily as I should. It's really helped me, with no major side effects. I'm probably going to be switching to Desogen though because, hopefully, the higher estrogen will help with my hair growth, improve more on my skin, and maybe lose a little weight.

  7. #7
    Registered User SweetGirl55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    452
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sara280 View Post
    My doctor just gave it to me too. I don't want to take it because every birth control makes me gain weight. But she said I should take it to balance my hormones. I haven't gotten my period in 2 months and my testosterone levels were higher than normal.
    Let me know how it goes being on it,thanks

  8. #8
    Registered User SweetGirl55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    452
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nurse_cyster View Post
    ive taken all the different brands, desogen, reclipsen and apri and i never had any side effects or weight gain. it actually made me feel good. i know it dosent lower testosterone as much as other bcps, my doc told me, and it is a monophasic pill, so your mood should not suffer. idk it is a personal decision, i liked this particular pill, but i wanted better testosterone control for my male pattern hair growth so i switched to Yaz.
    It didn't help for your facial hair?? I was hoping it would help for mine

  9. #9
    Registered User SweetGirl55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    452
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moojones View Post
    I've been taking Kariva for about a year. I've never had any bad side effects from it, except for the first month or two because I had never been on any type of birth control before. It's really helped with making my mood more even and having lighter periods with much lighter cramps. My skin is probably about 80% clearer than it was before. I gained weight while taking it, but less than 10 pounds. I'm fairly sure that it wasn't from the BCP because it was between 5-8 months after I had been taking it that the weight gain occurred, and I was also in my first year of college, so not being as active as I used to be and not eating as healthily as I should. It's really helped me, with no major side effects. I'm probably going to be switching to Desogen though because, hopefully, the higher estrogen will help with my hair growth, improve more on my skin, and maybe lose a little weight.

    Will Apri help me with my somewhat facial hair???
    Did the pill Kariva help u with yours???
    Why or Why not???

  10. #10
    Registered User SweetGirl55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    452
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashleystar View Post
    2.I have been on Desogen before. I was on it for 1.5 years leading up to my dx PCOS, then after 2 years on other pills, I went back on it for about 9 months.

    3.Did it cause u to gain weight??? No, I lost over 40 pounds on it the first time, without going out of my way to try!

    4.What were your side effects of being on it??? A bit of nausea and some headaches which could be quite bad, but I stayed on it for a good while and so must have been ok! I did find I got quite moody before AF.

    5.If someone was going to have a side effect of weight gain on the Apri
    pill when would they??? Relax, Desogestrel is a good progestogen. It is a low dose pill, and unless you are eating loads and loads more than usual, (so obviously be careful!!!) you won't put on weight. You would notice this properly after a few months. Self-control beats the cravings, but I really didn't experience any on this pill! I am prone to put on weight, but with this one I didn't at all, in fact quite the opposite!

    My doctor put me on it but I'm not sure about taking it because I don't want to gain weight,I know with the Othro Evra patch I never gained weight.
    6.What ALL should I do??? Please try it, I had great results with it for a while, and it is considered 2nd best to Yasmin by many doctors for PCOS. It is anti-androgenic (great for acne in particular) and gives great cycle control.


    Hope this helps xx
    I guess I will try it but I'm trying so hard not to have to I'm still waiting to see if I get my period this month,the pills have been in my purse & they might have got hot Will they still work good???

  11. #11
    Registered User SweetGirl55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    452
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashleystar View Post
    2.I have been on Desogen before. I was on it for 1.5 years leading up to my dx PCOS, then after 2 years on other pills, I went back on it for about 9 months.

    3.Did it cause u to gain weight??? No, I lost over 40 pounds on it the first time, without going out of my way to try!

    4.What were your side effects of being on it??? A bit of nausea and some headaches which could be quite bad, but I stayed on it for a good while and so must have been ok! I did find I got quite moody before AF.

    5.If someone was going to have a side effect of weight gain on the Apri
    pill when would they??? Relax, Desogestrel is a good progestogen. It is a low dose pill, and unless you are eating loads and loads more than usual, (so obviously be careful!!!) you won't put on weight. You would notice this properly after a few months. Self-control beats the cravings, but I really didn't experience any on this pill! I am prone to put on weight, but with this one I didn't at all, in fact quite the opposite!

    My doctor put me on it but I'm not sure about taking it because I don't want to gain weight,I know with the Othro Evra patch I never gained weight.
    6.What ALL should I do??? Please try it, I had great results with it for a while, and it is considered 2nd best to Yasmin by many doctors for PCOS. It is anti-androgenic (great for acne in particular) and gives great cycle control.


    Hope this helps xx
    Why is it 2nd best to Yasmin by many doctors for PCOS???
    How do u know???
    Did your doctor tell u???
    My doctor wanted me on this one cause she said it would be a good one for me to be on for my pcos.When I mentioned the Othro Evra patch she said that.

  12. #12
    Registered User SweetGirl55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    452
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashleystar View Post
    2.I have been on Desogen before. I was on it for 1.5 years leading up to my dx PCOS, then after 2 years on other pills, I went back on it for about 9 months.

    3.Did it cause u to gain weight??? No, I lost over 40 pounds on it the first time, without going out of my way to try!

    4.What were your side effects of being on it??? A bit of nausea and some headaches which could be quite bad, but I stayed on it for a good while and so must have been ok! I did find I got quite moody before AF.

    5.If someone was going to have a side effect of weight gain on the Apri
    pill when would they??? Relax, Desogestrel is a good progestogen. It is a low dose pill, and unless you are eating loads and loads more than usual, (so obviously be careful!!!) you won't put on weight. You would notice this properly after a few months. Self-control beats the cravings, but I really didn't experience any on this pill! I am prone to put on weight, but with this one I didn't at all, in fact quite the opposite!

    My doctor put me on it but I'm not sure about taking it because I don't want to gain weight,I know with the Othro Evra patch I never gained weight.
    6.What ALL should I do??? Please try it, I had great results with it for a while, and it is considered 2nd best to Yasmin by many doctors for PCOS. It is anti-androgenic (great for acne in particular) and gives great cycle control.


    Hope this helps xx
    How do u know u won't gain weight when your on birth control unless u eat loads & loads,more than ushal???

  13. #13
    Registered User nurse_cyster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    166
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    When you say "help with facial hair" it is important to know what to expect from the pill, it is not magic, but it will help to control testosterone and in turn helps to possibly lessen male pattern hair growth. What are your expectations? If you expect something to completely stop all tweezing/waxing, you WILL be disappointed. And with the weight gain issue, all hormonals could cause weight gain. If you are aware of the possibilities, watch yourself, what's 5-10 lbs anyway? you are decreasing your chances of endometrial/uterine cancer simply from having a period each month, of course there are risks in just taking the pill. seems that you just need to evaluate what exactly your benefits vs risks that you are comfortable with. GL!
    me-Rita (25) DH Jose (29)Hidden Content
    dx PCOS at 16/dx IR 8/08/ dx1/2010 MTHFR C667T
    TTC since 2006
    11/08 IVF cycle #1 -BFN
    06/09 IVF cycle #2-BFN
    11 embryos waiting on ice!


    Hidden Content Rita Hidden Content

  14. #14
    Endo Cyster! Ashleystar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    327
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetGirl55 View Post
    Why is it 2nd best to Yasmin by many doctors for PCOS???
    How do u know???
    Did your doctor tell u???
    My doctor wanted me on this one cause she said it would be a good one for me to be on for my pcos.When I mentioned the Othro Evra patch she said that.
    Hi, sorry not been online for a while. Yes doctors and my gynae have told me, plus I have read reports from the NHS in my country which states that Marvelon (UK brand name) is 2nd choice to Yasmin for PCOS symptoms.

    It isn't quite as good for facial hair - though Yasmin is supposedly only supposed to work temporarily for that anyway, and stronger doses of Spiro are needed in serious cases.

    xx

  15. #15
    Endo Cyster! Ashleystar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    327
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetGirl55 View Post
    How do u know u won't gain weight when your on birth control unless u eat loads & loads,more than ushal???

    Hi, look, I know that weight gain is a sensitive subject but it isn't all the fault of a pill. Personally, I didn't find that desogestrel gave me a raging hunger, therefore I didn't gain weight.

    Progestins causes weight gain due to increasing appetite.

    Estrogen causes water retention and bloating, but may cause nausea which can counteract the appetite increase by the progestin!

    Some women are very affected by one, or the other, or both.

    I am sensitive to progestins and have gained weight before on pills. This pill didn't do that for me.

    I didn't over-eat or over-induldge on this pill, therefore didn't gain weight.

    I did eat unhealthily on Diane 35 due to being very depressed about my PCOS etc, therefore gained weight.

    It does make sense, and we can be aware of it and so prevent weight gain.

    Yes, many women say that when the stop taking bc they lose weight - that will mainly be water weight, though if the progestin was affecting their hunger, they may eat less off the bc.

    Some say they gain weight when they stop bc. It all depends on your body's sensitivity.

    I know that I am better on bc, but others may feel differently.

    Hope this helps.

    Plus, I just want to add that I hope you girls really don't feel so obsessed with weight, you're beautiful. xx

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •