Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Lower back pain that radiates down to thighs???

Since March, I have been experiencing lower back and pelvic pain. Sometimes, (as of right now) it will even radiate down to my thighs! The pain gets so painful that its hard for me to sit and stand....even for short periods at a time. I can never seem to get comfortable when I get these pains. Even lying down doesn't help elevate the pain. I can't even fuction at work with this pain. I sit at a desk most of the day but I also have periods were I'm on my feet from anywhere to 1-2 hours! I don't know what to do! I don't know if seeing my doctor will help. I'm afraid they won't find anything or just give me a another "pill" without trying to look further. Does anyone else have this kind of pain? If so, was there anything which helped relieve the pain? Should I go ahead and see my doctor for this?
    Kira
    Dx w/ PCOS July '09
    Dx w/ endo on both ovaries - laparoscopy on 1/7/10!
    Meds: Nortrel 1/35 (birth control to try and bring on period)
    polycystic ovaries,irregular cycles (no period since Aug 2011), obese, insulin resitant, hair thinning, skin tags, dark patches, chronic pelvic and back pain, excessive hair growth, acne / oily skin, high testosterone levels (3x what they should be)

Thanks

I have lower back pain. I haven't really ever connected it with the PCOS but I think it is probably connected. I go to a chiropractor and have started doing acupuncture, too. For me, I know part of it is because I am overweight and I am working on that but even exercising seems to make it worse. I know eventually it will get better so I just keep plugging away.
    Jacquie (35) DH - Tim (36)
    married 16 years
    DD - 13 yo
    DD - 7 yo

Dx - endometriosis - 2/94
    Dx - PCOS - 6/01

• Currently taking:
    • Zoloft 100mg
    • Benicar - Traditional Chinese herbal formula for Stasis of the Blood
    • Omega 3-6-9

NOT ttcHidden Content

2 cat babies
    Fudgy
    Pinata

1 Hamster
    Hammy Hidden Content

Thanks

I have this type of pelvic pain, too. It flares up when my other PCOS symptoms flare up and is caused by cysts.

I have found that ibuprofen helps, like it does for normal menstrual cramps.
    PCOS symptoms since age 11 (heavy acne & oily skin, minor weight issues & hirsutism)
    Irregular AF (38-45 days) after stopping BCP at age 29
    Dx PCOS at age 32

Paleo Diet
    Yoga, outdoor activity, and swimming

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Merigreen View Post
    I have this type of pelvic pain, too. It flares up when my other PCOS symptoms flare up and is caused by cysts.

I have found that ibuprofen helps, like it does for normal menstrual cramps.
    I've always been curious as to whether or not I have cyst. I really do believe this is causing my pain. I first had this pain last year, but it wasn't too bad....yet it has slowly gotten worse. I always had a feeling it was caused by a cyst. I might just go ahead and ask my doctor and see if it is indeed the cause of my pain. *crosses fingers*

Sadly, ibuprofen doesn't work for me. For some reason, it just doesn't work. On headaches and other aches, it does a really good job at eliminating pain...but with this pain and menstrual cramps, it doesn't do a thing.
    Kira
    Dx w/ PCOS July '09
    polycystic ovaries,irregular cycles (no period since Aug 2011), obese, insulin resitant, hair thinning, skin tags, dark patches, chronic pelvic and back pain, excessive hair growth, acne / oily skin, high testosterone levels (3x what they should be)

Thanks

Where does it go when it goes to your thighs? Over the hips and down to the thighs? If so this is an L4/L5 spinal issue. If it goes down the back of your thighs its prob sciattica, if its down the front of your thighs thats the femoral nerve.

If you have any problems with your bladder or pain in your pelvis with these pains you MUST see a doctor.

Mainly because you might have a slightly slipped disc (nothing to stress over, but you don't want it to get worse).

I study Podiatry and did a year of Physio too - but please note I am not qualified and am only giving answers that I currently know.
    DXD 1998
    On Dianette 1998 - March 2008 - now drug free!

1 partner - been together 4 years
    1 daughter born 6 weeks early, tiny but perfect! Hidden Content

3 furbabies - ollie, casper and bailey

Thanks

I agree with coolpinkgurl. With it radiating down your thighs, it sounds more like a slipped/herniated disk/pinched nerve in your lumbar region. Being in a job where you sit a lot, if you don't have good posture, it's common. Seeing a physican and possibly doing some physical therapy, it can be taken care of easily.
    Keena (27) & Matt (31) - married 9/30/2002
    TTC #1 & giving God the glory!

M/C - 10/28/09 (Natural Cycle)
    Meds: Glipizide, Lantus, Fish Oil, Prenatal & Soy Isoflavones (CD 2-4 120mg & CD 5-6 160mg)

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Radiating pain in addition to being a disc or skeletal problem could be a muscular one. You said that you spend most of your time sitting at work. Sometimes, when you have a job that makes you sit all the time your muscles get adjusted to sitting all the time and shorten to that position. Then when you stand or lay flat out the muscles are stretched beyond what they think is normal and can cause pain or pinch the nerves and cause radiating pain. This can even resemble sciatica. The solution for that is to have the muscles lengthened. A massage therapist can do that and so can some chiropractors. If you're really afraid that your doctor is just going to prescribe you a pill then you might consider getting a therapeutic massage first and seeing how that goes.
    No PCOS diagnosis yet...

Thanks

I have back pain all when it is time for af my cramping from af is in my back I never have stomach cramps. The back pain I have goes all the way across my back and down my right leg. At the end of June I started hurting very bad in my stomach I figured it was a cyst the pain continued for a week it gradually got worse the pain in my upper back between my shoulder blades was terrible. I couldn't lay on my back it hurt so bad. I finally had to go to the ER they done a ct scan and said that it was a cyst. I had never had pain in my upper back from a cyst before. I honestly thought the doctor had no idea what he was talking about. I wasn't any better a few days later I went to my family physician they thought I had a slipped disc they done x-rays they came back fine. They scheduled an MRI nothing there either. I had an appt with my ob I had an ultrasound it showed I did have 3 cysts to rupture. He said that they burst one right after the other and where I had 3 in a short period of time it could cause pain in the upper back. I have cysts all the time and was shocked to find out it could hurt in the upper back. As far as the pain I normally end up taking 2 bayer back and body and an excedrine migraine it will help ease the pain for a short while.
    8/09,9.09,10/09-clomid 50mg-bfn
    11/09,12/09,1/10clomid 100mg-bfn
    2/10,3/10,4/10,5/10 clomid 150mg-bfn
    6/10,7/10 met only-bfn
    11/10 Femara 5mg bfn
    12/10 Femara 5mg, baby aspirin, folic acid,met 1000mg,preseed bfp!!!Hidden Content
    Beta's 13dpo 53, 15dpo 137, 23dpo 5,500
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Kireos,
    I have had that same pain for years! I have noticed that it has gradually decreased since starting on metformin, and has greatly been reduced after my laparoscopic surgery, my dr. removed a 5 cm cyst, and moderate endometriosis. I found too that motrin/ibuprofen doesn't always work for that kind of pain, but Excedrin or other pain killers that have caffeine in them do work better. I also try to take B6 w/ them as it helps.
    You may also want to try arnica gel or cream. It works wonders at alleviating this kind for me at least.
    I also have noticed an overall decrease in lower back pain since I've been seeing a chiropractor on a regular basis w/ deep tissue therapy.

Thanks

Thank you for all your help ladies!

I went ahead and made an appointment to see my doctor tomorrow. Hopefully, she will be able to figure out what is going on with my back. The pain has gotten worse since my last post and I can't sleep because I can't get comfortable at all! I'm always in pain!
    Kira
    Dx w/ PCOS July '09

Thanks

I suffer with lower back pain that radiates down the thighs - sometimes as far as my knees. Mine is all round - waist down really - hips the lot.

I find that Solpadol - prescribed by GP - sometimes helps, but it's an awful deep, dragging pain.

I would mention it to the GP if I were you.

x

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1979 View Post
    I suffer with lower back pain that radiates down the thighs - sometimes as far as my knees. Mine is all round - waist down really - hips the lot.

I find that Solpadol - prescribed by GP - sometimes helps, but it's an awful deep, dragging pain.

I would mention it to the GP if I were you.

x

Thanks Sam1979! My pain sometimes radiates down to my knees too. I will need to ask my doctor about Solpadol, to see if it will help. Thanks!
    Kira
    Dx w/ PCOS July '09

Thanks

I haven't read all the responses so I hope I'm not repeating too much of what you've been told.

Most of the time if pain is radiating from your back to another part of your body it is a nerve problem, normally from a spinal issue.

I woke up one morning less than a week after I was married with lower pain radiating down my legs - it turned out I had ruptured my L4-L5-S1. Those are two of your lumbar discs - both discs were ruptured and pressing against the nerves running through my spine down my legs. It basically pinches the nerves and the pain radiates from that.

I'm not saying this is what your problem is, but it very likely could be. It's not something you want to wait to see if it will go away as it could get worse over time if not treated. If you get it taken care of before it gets too bad there is a possibility that something like physical therapy or chiropractic work could fix the issue.

Whatever you do - don't put off getting seen - I waited a month to go in not wanting to hear "lose weight you'll feel better" or being told it was nothing bad. I was told by both doctors at the time that had I not waited to go in it might have been a lot less of a problem - meaning by waiting to go in a disc that was merely slipped, or bulging might have later ruptured because I didn't get treatment.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    ~It's a GIRL!~
    "The true measure of a life and love is not how long the flame burns here on Earth, it's how strong it burns in the heart.
    - Tammy Doern~Christopher Allen Doern~ Born July 4, 2009 @22 weeks to incompetent cervix.
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a pinched nerve. I sometimes pressure feeling like that but around time /when I'm on the dot.

Thanks

I had a pain like this...it was my lower right back down to my right thigh....it felt like someone would stick a knife in my back and front pelvis...I found out my ovary was caught on ligiments in my body. I had to have a laproscope to unhook my ovary. After the surgery the pain went away!