Thanks

Red face Pcos, No period, would like to conceive!!

Hi Guys

Im quite new to this so go easy on me!

I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 18 (5 years ago) after starting my periods aged 13yrs and never seemed to settle into a regular cycle.
    By the age of 15/16 i would have a period on average every 6-8 months and when i was diagnosed with PCOS i hadnt had a period for over a year!
    Around this time last year I had a period and then 2 more the following few months and i though it was all starting to look up but then as usual, it had stopped again!

Once diagnosed i was advised there was nothing that could be done to rectify the issue, although there were meds to control side effects of PCOS and to return when ready to try for a baby.

I have been with my partner for four years and have not used contraception for the last 3 years (not in attempt to conceive but in the mindset of knowing there was a serious problem and that i may never conceive so why prevent the chances!?).

Anyway, i never conceived in those three years and we would now like to try for a baby.
    I have heard and read a lot about clomid and the successes but i just wondered if this would be an option considering i do not have periods?
    Has anyone been in this situation before and if so, how did they induce periods? Does the lack of periods mean i do not ovulate?
    I just dont really know where to start with this and how it all works and would like to know a bit more info before visiting doc!

Any help on inducing these bad boy periods would be great!
    (Ive never wanted to bleed so much in my life hehe)

Thanks
    Kafka

xx

Thanks

You've come to the right place. I think half of us at least were on Clomid either now or at one point. My doctor gave me Provera to induce a period and Clomid to induce ovulation. I took one month of the Clomid and got a positive pregnancy test yesterday. I'm shocked. I know it has worked for others on here as well. And yeah, having no periods generally means you do not ovulate. If you overweight they say that even a 10% decrease in weight can induce ovulation. And I can't see why a doctor wouldn't give you the medication since you've been technically trying for 3 years (a lot of docs want you to try for at least a year before giving you anything).

Good luck!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    DH - Brian
    Me - Amanda
    Together 6 years so far
    DS - Owen Leo
    DD - Yukari Lila 4/2012

In love with our princess jkess79's Avatar
    Thanks

Welcome, this is a great place to get advice, support and comfort from fantastic ladies! Typically your doctor will induce your period with Provera and prescribe clomid to help you ovulate. My gynocologist didn't require us to wait for a year for Clomid since I have PCOS. However, prior to starting on Clomid I lost over 10% of my body weight and started to ovulate on my own, so I haven't had to turn to Clomid yet.

As Anh said, Clomid has worked for many ladies on here and the great thing is that your gynocologist can presribe it in case your insurance doesn't offer fertility coverage.

Another thing you can look into is taking your basal body temperature every morning and charting. This is a great method to see if and when you ovulate. I'd recommend fertilityfriend.com, they have an online charting course you can take that greatly explains everything in detail. Another recommendation would be the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. It doesn't go into detail on PCOS but it does help you gain a lot of insight on your fertility signs.

Again, welcome and good luck!
    Jess~34 Hidden Content Preston~34
    DD 07/08/10

December 2012: 50 mg Clomid CD 5-9 + 1000 mg Metformin...Christmas BFP!

Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks for your help! Its cleared a few things up for me. At least i now understand what im asking for when visiting doctor. Its like pulling teeth trying to get anything from my GP. It took over two years to get diagnosed!!!

I had 24hr urine cortisol, 3 ultrasounds, 2 CT scans and about 5 blood tests.
    When i finally got the letter through off doc confirming PCOS i was asked to make an appointment to discuss it with him. I made my appointment and when i arrived he had no record or knowledge of this letter he sent and couldnt even find any of my results!!! I had to actually pull the letter out my bag (which he had hand signed) and shove it under his nose for him to accept i had pcos!!! NIGHTMARE!!!

I was advised at the time that losing weight may trigger the periods to start up again but im around 8.7 - 9st and according to my BMI, im in the ideal weight range so he can sod off if he asks me to lose more weight! :o)

Does the provera work well or is there a high chance i wont bleed?

Kafka

xxx

Thanks

Provera always worked to induce a period for me when I was not having them. I never had regular period except on birth control. After going off birth control, I didn't have a period for a couple years. I started taking metformin and got up to my full dose this January and now I've had two spontaneous periods on my own, one in March, one in August. Hey, it's not every month, but I'll take it over none! I also lost almost 30 pounds, so maybe that had something to do with it. I'm down to 136 pounds from 165.

Thanks

I too have gone months without a period. My RE gives me Provera to bring my period on and Clomid to help me ovulate. The Clomid didn't work last cycle and now I'm waiting to see if it worked this cycle.
    Stacey 34
    Azi 40

Thanks

Hi Kafka,
    Depending on what your blood work says, you could also try Metformin or Glucophage (same thing) before doing clomid, I have known many many women w/ PCOS just be put on that , and they start cycling normal and get pregnant. A good friend of mine has had 4 children all conceived naturally and has only ever taken Metformin. HTH, and welcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, first you need to talk to your dr about metaformin, because it helps to get your insulin in check. I just saw a Reproductive Endocrinologist, and I highly recommend you do the same. A lot of insurance will pay for testing but not treatment. So it might cost a lot of of pocket. I have not started Clomid yet but I have a friend who used it with both of her pregnancy. I have been dx with PCOS for 5 years now, and back then I didn't care if I had period. But, now like you I want to bleed LOL. Sounds so funny. I also want a baby so badly with my husband. I am pretty lucky because I'm on Tricare because my husband is active duty Marine and they pay for everything. I am on 1500 mg of metaformin. It took me awhile to get up that high. It really messed with my stomach made me sick and dropped my blood sugar. I always have to eat with it, or I will still get sick. The upside to the med is that it makes you lose weight and not as hungery. There are some books at barnes and nobles that you can get that helps you understand about PCOS and fetility.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

She is right metaformin a lot of dr will start you off first. I am on 1500 mg right now, and it took me awhile for me to get there because it made me sick. I wrote a longer response to this but my computer wouldn't let me post it. My RE is about to start me on Clomid this coming cycle. Good luck, and sending you baby dust your way lol.