Thanks

Default ovulation without trigger after follistim??

I was on follistim this month, it was my second round of injections. I ended up with 8 follies from 16 up into the 20's and i even had a few right around 15. So my dr sadly said that they wouldnt trigger me or do the iui, but if i wanted to try to do intercourse i just needed to be aware that i am still at a high risk for multiples.

so my question is...will i still ovulate on my own, and if i do will i ovulate all the eggs?? i have ovulated before without the trigger when i was on clomid, my issues has always been growing the follicle but once its there i do ovulate. so shouldnt at least some of the follicles release?? i just am wondering what my chances are here i guess...my dr said that i would but i was upset when she told me so i left and didnt ask many more questions...any information would be great!!!
    Me(Jamie-25) DH (Marcus-25)
    Furbabies: Woody(dog) Tyson(cat)

TTC#1 since 03/08
    Metformin 2000mg since 11/07
    5 rounds of clomid all BFN's! boooo
    June 09-Femara (5mg) days 3-7, 1 20+mm follie on 6/16-triggered, IUI 6/17-BFN
    July 09-Femara (5mg) days 3-7--no follies at all-bust
    July/Aug 09-Follistim 75iu(cd 3-6) 100iu(cd 7-12)-1 follie @18+;trigger 8/5;IUI 8/7-BFN
    Aug/Sept 09-Follistim 150iu(cd 3-5)225(cd 6-11) 100(12-13)- 8 follies: Hidden Content , Hidden Content , Hidden Content , Hidden Content , Hidden Content , 1@ 23....woah nelly...

Thanks

bump...anyone??

TTC#1 since 03/08
    July/Aug 09-Follistim 75iu(cd 3-6) 100iu(cd 7-12)-1 follie @18+;trigger 8/5;IUI 8/7-BFN
    Aug/Sept 09-Follistim 150iu(cd 3-5)225(cd 6-11) 100(12-13)- 8 follies: Hidden Content , Hidden Content , Hidden Content , Hidden Content , Hidden Content , 1@ 23....woah nelly...

Thanks

Hey... don't know about that... But I guess if you have ovulated with Clomid without the trigger it's possible it will happen with Follistim too!!! Good luck!
    Me:29 DH:32 Married since May 08

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Baby girl #2!!!

Waiting on our miracle... KaitlynH's Avatar
    Thanks

I had the same thing happen to me this month!! I had my last u/s Monday and that's when they officially cancelled me! I was told not to try what so ever, but we are going to anyways! I did ask if I would O on my own, and they said yes, prob within the next week. I was also told that it might be painful, which I believe b/c I am already extremely uncomfortable at times! I would just give it a few days and start doing OPK's!
    4 cycles of clomid, an IUI, 1 septum removed and 1 cycle of injectables- all a bust

10/09- 100mg Clomid, Estradiol, Ovidrel, IUI, Progesterone: BFP!!!
    Hidden Content July 8, 2010: Hayden Arrives!!! 6 pounds 6 ounces and 19.5 inches!!!! Hidden Content

5/11- A VERY Unexpected Mother's Day Suprise! EDD: 1/5/12 Hidden Content
    IT'S A GIRL!!!!!! Rilynn Jean will be here before we know it!

future mommy-to-be :) XxPrincess2602xX's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I was told by my RE when I asked if I could ovulate before they triggered me, and he said nope. Because they're doing a controlled cycle and they're making your follicles grow. The trigger will make you ovulate, but I wouldn't ovulate on your own. But people may be different.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 487 Posts

Generally you won't O without a trigger doing injections.

Clomid works in your brain. It tells your body make x, y, z hormones. Since your body is doing the work so to speak, usually it also knows to give things the final push and actually ovulate. Not always, but usually.

The shots are different. You are not making the hormones. You are injecting them directly and they are having a direct effect on your ovaries. Your body has no clue what's going on. That's why you need the trigger to ovulate.

Of course this presupposes that you are the sort of woman who doesn't normally ovulate on her own and it going into her typical long or non-ovulatory cycle.

Sometimes you begin injections AND your body begins its own cycle at the same time. The surge that occurs in your natural cycle will cause the follies produced by the shots to release eggs.

Of course you have no idea what is going on naturally since you are on the shots.

So it's possible to O. Not super likely but possible.
    "Laugh about it, shout about it, when you've got to choose -
    Every way you look at it, you lose."
    - Simon & Garfunkel

Thanks

thanks for the info my dr called me today and i talked to her about it and did some research and my dr told me the same thing as you kaitlyn. she said she is almost positive that i will still ovulate on my own. she said with women that have pcos its not the releasing of the egg that is normally the issue, its that we dont even grow good follicles. but once you get those follicles most women will ovulate on their own which is what happens with clomid. she said the only reason they use the trigger is more or less to gurantee ovulation...but she has no doubts that i will ovulate on my own in a day or two if i havent already...so thats good news to me...i will pray that i do!!!

but i actually found a couple sites with lots of other girls who this same thing happened too with injections and they got pregnant with just bding and without the trigger so its for sure really possible!! woo hoo!!!

TTC#1 since 03/08

Waiting on our miracle... KaitlynH's Avatar
    Thanks

OK, pretty sure I was freaking out thinking that it now wasn't going to happen and have been googling it since I posted on here... Glad to know that another dr said the same thing as mine did tho!!!
    4 cycles of clomid, an IUI, 1 septum removed and 1 cycle of injectables- all a bust

10/09- 100mg Clomid, Estradiol, Ovidrel, IUI, Progesterone: BFP!!!
    Hidden Content July 8, 2010: Hayden Arrives!!! 6 pounds 6 ounces and 19.5 inches!!!! Hidden Content

5/11- A VERY Unexpected Mother's Day Suprise! EDD: 1/5/12 Hidden Content
    IT'S A GIRL!!!!!! Rilynn Jean will be here before we know it!

Thanks

And? Jamers? How did it go?

url=Hidden Content http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10719;47/st/20100623/n/Baby+Emily/dt/12/k/3d46/age.png"
    [/url]
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I'm curious too. I am in this same position right now.....just waiting.
    Penny
    Mom to Chloe (17), Stephen (14) and Stella (3)

BFP on 6th and final IUI!!!!!! - March 2010
    TTC#4 since April 2012
    Natural BFP and M/C Dec 2012 & Jun 2014

Registered User LucyInTheSkyWithDiamonds's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

On my first injects/IUI cycle, my LH was surging naturally--meaning I would O on my own. It was the only IUI cycle I wasn't canceled due to overstimming.

At that time, I was temping. I didn't see a temp rise till I started the prog., three days later. To this day, I question if I really Od on my own. The RE though, said it was a sure thing given my LH levels, when I questioned here. Do you know what your LH levels were?

The other three injects/IUI cycles I did, I was canceled due to HOM risk--my RE wouldn't even advise BDing--she told us to abstain or use protection. We didn't trigger, but we did BD at least once each time--we were walking the line between totally ignoring her advice, and taking it a little bit by moderating the BDing.

Each of those canceled cycles, I never triggered. Again the same, never saw a temp rise until I started the prog (which I did even though canceled so that I'd be sure to get AF in two weeks, no matter what, to cycle again.)

So, in summary, YES, it is possible to O on your own for an injects cycle, according to my RE and how she handled our first cycle. However, I always doubted it...due to temps and my general mistrust of my body. Never got to test it though because the prog guaranteed a period. Never got a BFP either, obviously.

I will say, my RE doesn't advice in temping b/c she says in increases anxiety. However, I asked her why my temps werent rising until I started prog three days after suspected O...she said temps don't always rise on the day after Oing...sometimes, it can take a few days, depending on the person.

Thanks

Jamie-this is exactly what happened to me today-no trigger and no IUI.

I have 1 @17.5, 16.5, 2 @15, 3 @ 14, and 3 @13. My doc said that we could BD tonight and tomorrow but no more.

What I'm wondering, will I ovulate multiple times? Like with the 17.5 ovulate tomorrow and 16.5 on Sunday and then others on Monday or Tuesday? I feel like there is no way to know b/c I already have ovarian pains from the injects...so how can I differentiate.

Jamie-when are you guys going to BD? I'm tempted to BD on Sunday too. When should we start progesterone? I also kind of want to go back in there on Monday for a scan so I can know what's going on with my body and make sure that at least 1 of them actually did O.

Where else did you get info from? Oh and my E2 level was 3900 yikes.
    Me: 28 DH: 28

Married Jan 18, 2006

TTC since Dec '08
    Diagnosed PCOS Aug '09
    HSG May '09-all clear
    4 Rounds Clomid (50-150 mg) O'd BFN
    2 Rounds Femara (2.5-5mg) No O
    1 Round Follistim-Overstim-Cancel
    Round 2 Follistim (112-75-50/day) O'd BFN Hidden Content
    3rd Round Femara (10mg) O BFP
    Beta 14 dpo-50
    Beta 16 dpo-134