Thanks

Default Pregnancy and spironolactone

I am taking spironolactone to control my acne. I know that it is not pregnancy safe. My husband and I are thinking about trying to get pregnant. I don't ovulate, so it's going to be a challenge. I wanted to know if anyone else has been through this. I haven't talked to my dermatologist yet, and I know it sounds really, really vain but I'm afraid of my skin going back to the way it was. I know I would be quite depressed if I never got pregnant and my acne came back. The doctor I went to see said he would start with Metformin. I don't have diabetes or insulin resistance. Would the Metformin control my acne? And IF I don get pregnant, would my acne get worse? I'm usually not this vain of a person and I know it could be a lot worse, but I went through a lot just to get answers and to control my acne. I finally have some control and I don't want to lose it. Any input would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks

I know just how you feel! I am currently pregnant and my skin is TERRIBLE. It was clear(er) before thanks to the Proactiv I was using, but since I've been pregnant I've stopped using it. I have pimples on my chest, chin and hairline and I feel awful about it. I feel so self conscious and when people say I have a "glow" I don't believe them because I feel unattractive. I know it's vain but it's hard not to feel self-conscious.

For me the biggest struggle was with my hair. I usually wear my hair blonde, and when I got pregnant I struggled with bad feelings because my hair looked so terrible (very bad roots / condition). I know that many people are of the view of not to dye your hair during pregnancy, but I figured that being depressed throughout because of feeling so ugly isn't healthy either. My choice was a compromise - I waited until 14 weeks (well out of the first trimester) and then got foils far away from my roots, and had my hair semi-permanently put back to brown by a professional and only plan on doing it the one time, so the risks were minimal. Although my roots are still there because I wouldn't let her go anywhere near my scalp, it looks so many times better and I feel better about myself as well.

I don't know the specifics of your medication so I don't know how high the risks are, but I would definitely discuss this with your dermatologist and your OB. I think there has to be a balance between maintaining good self-esteem and minimizing the risks to your baby. Maybe there are other medications you can take that are lower-risk and that can still control your acne? Or maybe you could skip the medication for the first trimester if the risk is greatest then? I know how it feels to feel ugly and low and it's a horrible place to be, even if you are pregnant and thrilled to be having a baby. I hope you decide what's best for you.

And on another note - I have read what may be an old wives' tale but if your skin is clear before pregnancy it may totally clear up when you conceive, and vice versa.
    Jenny (29) Hidden Content Chris (31)
    Baby Annalise Rosalie, born January 19, 2010 (Clomid baby) Hidden Content
    Baby Sienna Madelyn, born October 10, 2013 (IVF baby) Hidden Content

Thanks

I know how you feel too. I don't know if the Met would clear your face up. I was on it for a month or two and it did nothing for me (I had mild insulin resistance).
    I was just on Clomid and Dexamethasone earlier this cycle and the Dex was awwweeeesome for my face! I felt PRETTY for once! Unfortunately I had to go off it after ovulation in case I'm pregnant and sure enough, my acne has come back FULL force. Like worse than ever. My self-esteem has once again plummeted. I'm already thinking that the ONE good thing if I'm not pregnant this month will be that I get to go back on the Dex. Sad.
    Conceived 1st round of Clomid 10/08
    Miscarriage 12/08

Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, and HSG Dec 2009
    Now on Clomid, trigger, and progesterone suppositories. Injectables up next.

My infertility blog: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I was taking Spiro. My doctors across the board said that I could absolutely not be on it while TTC/pregnant. So I know that it's frustrating but I just thought I'd tell you. It was so aggrivating for me because I was on it due to increased testoterone. They say that spearmint tea acts as a natural spiro. I hate spearmint tea...but I got the dark hair back on my face and turned into a man (I know dramatic) but my testonterone sky rocketted and I gained 20 pounds. It's very frustrating, but I guess every sacrifce has a payoff right?
    Christie(28) DH(34) DD (15mo)
    7/29/09-12/12/09 IUIx4 BFNx4
    3/12/10 IVF #1-BFN
    4/13 FET #1 4 embryos transfered-BFP!!!Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks for the information ladies! Unfortunately, it's not what I wanted to hear. Oh well, if I do get pregnant it will all be worth it. I wish you all the best of luck!
    Take care!!

Thanks

I have addressed the spiro issue with my doctor numerous times, each times he says to stay on it until I know for sure that I am preggers. It absolutely does not help my acne, but it does keep my hormones in check. As a matter of fact when I had my one suspected pregnancy that ended in a suspected chemical pregnancy he made a point to tell me that I needed to stay on it next time until I knew for sure. I didn't think to ask why or if the two were related because I was kind of in shock about a chemical, but I would definitely talk to your doctors about it and see what they say. It's definitely not good for a fetus, but my eggs won't fully form without it. If you are only using it for acne and not egg quality they may tell you to get off it. I think it's a very fine line. I definitely worry about it every month.
    Christine (35) & Jeff (39)
    TTC 7 years
    WLS 10/2007 ~ 123 lbs lost
    HSG ~ 11/9/2009 ~ all clear
    July combo cycle 5.0 mg Femara & 50-58 IUs Follistim, chemical
    Sept/Oct 5.0 mg Femara & 50-75 IUs Follistim, acupuncture, EPO, meditation, chemical
    Done. What a long strange trip it's been.

Hidden Content "Hope is the only bee that makes honey without flowers. " ~ Robert Green IngersollHidden Content

Thanks

I was on the spiro and both my OBGYN and primary doc's pulled me off the minute they found out I was TTC. My skin went NUTS since going off of it and I'm losing hair again. The Met did not help me, in fact I got too sick and had to stop taking it too. I've been using products from acne.org and I have to say that it has worked for me. It's a three step process of wash, benzoyl peroxide (I only put it in the places I need it like hair line, chin and nose or it dries my skin out) and then moisturizer. It took a few weeks but my face it so much better. I was surprised because the cost was reasonble (better than proactive) and I have been through 2 AF cycles and haven't gotten any of the ouchy cyst-like acne things. It's worth a shot to try the acne stuff, it lasts forever too. Either way, you should probably get off the spiro.
    Hidden Content " target="_blank">
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

08/2000 - DS born August 18th! 6 lbs. 9 oz.
    06/2009 - Metformin 1000 mg, O'd
    07/2009 - Metformin 1000 mg, O'd
    08/2009 - Metformin 0 (lactic acidosis), O'd
    09/2009 - 50 mg Clomid days 3 - 7, BFN
    10/2009 - 50 mg Clomid days 5 & 6 - cycle's a
    bust
    11/2009 - Femera days 5 - 9