Thanks

Default How is HSG dye test different from saline sonogram

Can someone please explain to me what is the difference between HSG test and saline sonogram. My RE had done the saline sonogram at the start of treatment and had said that my tubes were OK.Since then, I have tried several cycles of clomid and 2 cycles of FSH injectables. Each time, they say that I ovulated, but did not result in pregnancy.
    Now my RE wants me to do a hsg test to check my tubes. Shouldnt this test be done at the start of the treatment?
    Can one of you please tell me what more can hsg test determine?

Thanks for your support.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I would like to know the answer to this question, too. With the saline I think they check your uterus for abnormalities. They cannot see the tubes. With the HSG test they use dye, and that shows them your tubes, unless they are blocked. I think they can see more than that with this test as well. That's what I think I know about it. I am going to schedule HSG as soon as I get AF. We're about to spend $$$ on trigger cycles and I want to make as sure as I can that it's not a waste.
    TTC #1 for 20 months / TTC #2 for 5 months
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve (No PCOS)
    May 2010 - Natural BFP! Connor was born Feb. 11, 2011 (40 weeks 5 days): 8 lb 8 oz, 22 in.
    Dec 2011 - Natural BFP! Ben was born Aug. 10, 2012 (40 weeks): 8 lb, 10 oz, 21 in.

Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Dairy-free and soy-free for 8 months to breastfeed. Ben got BM for 1 year, 1 month, and 17 days!

Thanks

From my experience and the way my RE explained it, the saline sonogram was to check my uterus for fibroids, polyps, lesions, etc but was not used to check my tubes. The HSG was done specifically to check if my tubes were open. My RE had us do all the testing right away before diagnosing any treatment.
    Jess~35 Hidden Content Preston~35
    DD1 07/08/10 - 50 mg Clomid + 1000 mg Metformin
    DD2 09/02/13 - 50 mg Clomid + 1000 mg Metformin

Thanks

Thank you ladies. I am going to go in for the HSG asap. I wonder why my RE did not perform this at the beginning of the treatment.

Good luck to all of you!

Thanks

Default i agree

Quote Originally Posted by jkess79 View Post
    From my experience and the way my RE explained it, the saline sonogram was to check my uterus for fibroids, polyps, lesions, etc but was not used to check my tubes. The HSG was done specifically to check if my tubes were open. My RE had us do all the testing right away before diagnosing any treatment.

Ditto!!
    Me: Angela [28] Hidden Content DH: Roy [43]

married & started TTC October 06, 2007

Currently in 2WW: IUI 03/12/11, 2 follies from Follistim

I want to see BLUE PEE!! mystik817's Avatar
    Thanks

I had saline done when TTC Lauren, it's just to check uterus. There is no way they can see the saline enter the tubes. With the dye they can though, so the HSG can check tubes. Hope all is ok with your's though.
    Misty & Gary Hidden Content Lauren (4)

Hidden Content

"I prayed for this child, and the Lord granted me what I asked of him." I Samuel 1:27

Thanks

I had the saline sonogram done. My doc explained that with the saline, they can see if there are any blockages, but with the HSG they can see more, more clearly. She said with the saline she just wanted to make sure it was spilling out of the tubes, which, we could see on the ultrasound.
    "...if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20

Hidden Content

metformin
    prenatal vitamin

Hidden Content