Thanks

Default albuterol nebulizer treatment while pregnant?

I had to have 2 nebulizer treatments yesterday (back to back) just so that I could breathe. All this stemmed from a cold then cough and wheezing that has been around for a month and worsened the past few days.
    today I'm much better thank goodness or I would probably be in the hospital right now.
    doc has me on prednisone and zithromax as well as an albuterol inhaler if I would need it...and I have needed it a few times over the past several days.

Just wondering if anyone else had nebulizer treatments during pregnancy.
    just wanting to hear some positive words. always concerned when putting these things in my body...the drugs and intermittent inhaler doesn't have me too concerned...just the back to back nebulizer treatments.
    I couldn't breathe very well, so I really had no choice.
    I am 22 weeks pregnant.

and just to add...if you have any lingering cough and wheezing, get it checked out! I think I let mine go too long and hence the urgent care visit when I finally couldn't breathe well.
    I do not have any underlying asthma or bronchitis or any lung issues what so ever, too.

Thanks

I haven't had to undergo any nebulizer treatments (thank goodness), but my doctor has prescribed an emergency albuterol inhaler for me to carry around because of a history of asthma. So based on that alone, I wouldn't worry that the nebulizer would hurt the baby. I can guarantee that if you hadn't had the treatment, the lack of being able to breath definitely would have hurt them, so yeah - you're good.
    Me + DH = Oliver (5/1/10)
    #2 EDD October 2013!!
    Metformin XR (2000mg/day)
    June - Soy 160mg CD3-7 BFN/long cycle
    July - Soy 80mg CD 3-7 BFN/32d cycle
    August - November - OFF
    December - Soy 160mg CD 3-7 BFN/28d cycle
    January - 2000mg Metformin - SURPRISE BFP!

Hidden Content

Thanks

Yep! I do nebulizer treatments morning and night and I have for several weeks now. I'll be 21 weeks tomorrow. My OB, peri and pulmonologist said they were fine...if we can't breathe...our babies can't breathe. I also take Singulair and Advair daily and use my rescue inhaler as needed. Isn't asthma fun?!
    Jess (36) Ryan (39)
    Married July 21, 2001
    DX with PCOS 2004
    Rebecca Grace (4lbs 12oz) and Julia Audrey (5lbs 10z) - IUI - born 11/7/05 at 34w3d
    Matthew Allen (8lbs 14oz) and Andrew Ryan (7lbs 4oz) - IVF - born 3/1/2010 at 38w

Thanks

I did. I had a bad cold about 1/2way through the pregnancy, which triggered my asthma. My doctor said it was way riskier for me to not be getting enough O2, than whatever potential risks taking the albuterol posed. So, I was doing neb treatments, probably for a week, several times/day around 20wks pregnant. My boys were born fine, and continue to be fine. If you've double checked with the OB, and he/she says its ok, (with regards to any meds) do it---you have to take care of yourself to take care of your fetus/es.
    Hidden Content
    Amy (33), DH (33), 2DS
    May/June 08 Gonal F/hyperstim/IVF conversion
    Single embryo transfer 06/08/08
    BFP!! 6/17/08
    U/S 7/8/08:Identical TWINS
    Born 1/23/09, 36w1d, very healthy!

Hidden Content

Thanks

I did use albuterol while pregnant -- not the nebulizer, but the inhalers when needed. My doctor said it was okay. Her logic is that there were no known issued for the fetus, and it's really important that the mother keeps breathing :-). My doctor said no to most drugs, and I also didn't want to cough my way into contractions (I had gone into early labor with an irritable uterus).