Thanks

Question Ok to take Met and Phentermine together?

Hi ladies!

Prescribed Metformin 1000mg/2 a day about 3months ago(did not cont as hated the side effects) well now I have finally gotten tired of the weight and am serious about getting it off, I am dreading taking the met, but I know that it helps, I also went to weight loss clinic who prescribed 30day supply of phentermine 37.5. My question is it ok to take them together?

Thanks

Ask your pharmacist, they'll be able to look it up. Also, make sure they know EVERYTHING else you take. Even vitamins and herbal tea.

Thanks

I've looked into this same question. I went to one of those web sites that you can put in all of the meds you are on and it tells you if there are any interactions. It said "no known interactions". I'll be interested to see if anyone out there is on both now. I went to the diet dr and got the prescription but haven't started them b/c I've been worried about taking them together too.

I had a really bad experience on the Met last year. My dr said take 4 a day so you know I did and OMG!! I had no idea of the s/e and it was so BAD!! So I got off it too. BUT since I found this great site (3mo ago) I've been reading and learning about the benefits of the Met and how to minimize the s/e. So this time I started with ONE 500mg pill at night for a week and 3 days ago I started taking one in the morning and one at night and guess what no s/e! I wish that dr would have told me to start off slow, I probably could have been skinny with 2 kids by now, lol.
    Me (36) DH (43)
    TTC 2005 dx- 2007
    2007-2008 Clomid, Femara, FSH, BFN
    05/2009 cycle 1 ivf cancelled
    09/2009 cycle 2 ivf BFN
    10/2009 500mg met
    11/2009 1000mg met

11/2009 ivf #3 consult - OMG I Oed on my own!
    12/2009 100mg clomid, O cd 36 - 1/8/09 BFP! HCG 25

1/12/10 beta 230!Hidden Content
    6w4d 124bpm
    8w2d 194bpm 18mm
    10w4d 178bpm we've got a swimmer Hidden Content
    11w6d 174bpm - had the hiccups, lol

Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks for the info about the Met, I may start with one 500mg at night and then work my way up to Two a day, to see if that will help with the s/e. I also called the pharmacist and she basically said just to make sure blood sugar doesnt drop too low, but other than that its ok to take together..So I will keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

My OBGyn prescribed this for me as well. He wants me to get down to 150lbs before trying to conceive. I have finally found a good balance with the Met. I take three 500mg pills a day, each in the middle of a meal and for the most part it works fine. I've learned that I CANNOT eat fries or fried chicken, or else I experience an entire day of bathroom trips ugh... I have not lost ANY weight with the Met alone though.

He also prescribed simbuslim (which is a generic form of Phentermine) because he wants me to lose weight. But I'm terrified of taking it. I've read it interacts with chemicals in your brain to make you lose your appetite and can have harsh side-effects eg insomnia, constipation, dry-mouth. I also read that it may be the cause mental imbalance and my sister & grandmom are bi-polar so I'm afraid to risk it.

But let me know if it works for you. I'm still weighing my options
    Me: 32(PCOS) Hidden Content DH: 32(perfect)
    Meds: Bromocriptine (for high prolactin), Met 2000mg, Zinc-Mag-Calc, Red Raspberry Leaf, Baby Aspirin, Folic Acid
    May - June - Clomid 50mg, 100mg No 'O'; 28/08/12 - Femara 5mg, No 'O'; 02/10/12 - Femara 7.5mg, 'O' Finally! OMG BFP @ 9dpo!!
    It's a BOY!! Hidden Content AIDAN ~ BORN 08-JUL-13
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Hi Ladies!
    Sorry it took so long to post an update, Ive had some computer issues and have been working like crazy,,well anyhoo I started my weight loss journey at 236lbs as of Nov 5 and since then I have lost a total of 35lbs, all I can say is WOW, I havent had many side effects with the Met other than the occassional "D" episodes of course its only when I eat somethin Im not supposed to.. I have also noticed that the majority of my weight was in my stomach area, which has gone down alot(THANK GOD).. Im still only taking 500mg of met a day, maybe I will increase after the holidays and the new year, I have to say I am so proud of myself, I havent been able to loose a single pound before I started and now it seems as though the weight is just falling off..Im trying to reach a mini goal I set for myself and that is to be under 200lbs by the new year and Im almost there .I have to admit It is so hard being a southern girl on a diet during the holidays..
    Last edited by brwnsuga1; 12-27-2009 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks

thanks for the update! 35 pounds is AWESOME! I still havent taken mine bc I've got a little hbp and am worried that it will make it go up more. Did you experience any hbp while taking it? No heart pounding or anything?
    Me (36) DH (43)
    TTC 2005 dx- 2007
    09/2009 cycle 2 ivf BFN
    10/2009 500mg met
    11/2009 1000mg met

6w4d 124bpm
    8w2d 194bpm 18mm

Hidden Content

Thanks

Smile

Well the 1st week on the phentermine, i did feel a little shaky, but that went away after a few days. I had a little trouble falling asleep, but other than that no other s/e from the phen. I dont suffer from hbp so that stayed about the same as always, and I dont know if it was from the weight loss or the met but I also got af, after not having one since aug.

Thanks

I took Metformin (500mg) and Phentermine (37.5) together for about a year and a half.

They are perfectly fine to take together as far as OBVIOUS side effects go; no vomiting, no racing heart, or anything like that.

However, I really don't know if taking Phentermine is such a good idea unless you have A LOT of weight to lose. I took it and lost about 45 pounds in 3 months, which SOUNDS great, but really is a lot to lose that quickly. I continued with it and maintained my weight for awhile without eating well at all. But then I started getting fed up with maintaining and just wanted to lose more, so I started eating really healthy and working out all the time. I lost an additional 20 pounds or so now, and haven't been taking phentermine for the last 3 months. Without the phentermine I've managed to maintain and even lose another 5 pounds.

If you are adament about taking it, make sure you keep up with the exercise so you retain some lean tissue.

Also, it is a neurostimulant. It stimulates the norephinephrine activity in your brain, which is supposed to control your appetite. However I found that it made me kind of hyperactive and a little crazy, so just be careful maybe not to consume much caffeine or other stimulants while on phentermine.

Good luck!

Thanks

Honestly, I think alot of the weight that I lost was water weight.
    I didnt realize how swollen I was, since Ive started I went down a shoe
    size, which is crazy, my fingers are not as swollen..

I dont think the phentermine is something that I can take for a long time.
    My Dr said they will only prescribe it for 4mths at a time...So I have 2 more months..But So far So good! Im lovin the results.LOL..Now the Met is another issue
    Im dreading upping the dosage to 1000mg a day, which from some of the other threads, is not alot..I go back to the endo the end of Jan for labwork, so I will see how everything looks, I dont think I will tell him I didnt take the full 1000mg that he
    originally prescribed...LOL..

Thanks

Well I'm glad you didn't have any major s/e. I uped my met to 1500mg and after about a week I was feeling really bad, not sick but just an overall yuck feeling so I went back to 1000mg and feel fine now. I am gonna take that phen I've got in the medicne cabinet. I've just been trying to lose the weight on my own and it is NOT working so I just need to bite the bullet and get on the wagon. I've been walking between 2 and 3 miles a day, 4-5 days a week for about 6mo and I've lost 3 whopping pounds!! Aggggg it is so frustrating.
    Me (36) DH (43)
    TTC 2005 dx- 2007
    09/2009 cycle 2 ivf BFN
    10/2009 500mg met
    11/2009 1000mg met

6w4d 124bpm
    8w2d 194bpm 18mm

Hidden Content

Thanks

I found that I was hungrier when i was on both. But maybe i will try it again. What do I have to lose? Weight? )