Thanks

Default testosterone and spironolactone

My testoserone has been super high for a few months now. i am allergic to spironolactone (it contains sulfa drugs). the endo that i go to says that there are no other options to lower testosterone - surely this is not true. have any of you yall been on anything else that lowers testosterone.

I think that it may be time to find a new doctor.

WHy don't more docs know how to treat PCOS?? - it is a major prob for women. I swear, if it were a prob that affected men there would be a lot more rsearch and treatment options. It is frustrating.
    thanks ladies

Jillian

Thanks

I honestly didn't know Spiro had sulfa drugs in it!?! That means I shouldn't be taking it either...I had a BIG reaction to one as a child. Maybe the levels will be low enough you'll be OK...not that I advocate a 'just try it' approach if you're highly allergic, but asking the doc if you could take the first dose in office with help available if needed couldn't hurt.

I'm afraid that I don't know of any other meds off the top of my head that would help, but there are a lot of great, knowledgeable people here, who should come along and help out with their info soon. Best of Luck!

Thanks

I have taken it in the past too - apparently, it takes awhile for the sulfa to build up in the system (it took about 6 months for me). THen I started breaking out in hives. At first I couldn't figure out why. A pharamist told me about the sulfa connection.

Part of me wants to take it again to get the testosterone down - I have 6 months before the hives start. But, I know that I should not mess around with allergies - it could be worse this time.

Thanks

i took it for about 1 week and ended up in the emergnecy room. It made me severly dehydrated even though I drank enough to stay hydrated. I was completely OUT OF MY MIND!
    Lacey (23) & DH Mark (33)
    TTC since Jan 2009
    SDD Taylor (12)SDD Alyssa (10)

Hypothyroid
    Thin Cyster
    Non Insulin Resistant

Official PCOS Dx: 11/2009

09/05/09- AF
    12/10/09- Positive OPK
    12/25/09- AF

02/06/10- AF
    03/26/10- Surprise BFP!
    It's a Girl!- Bethany Anne EDD-12/02

Thanks

Oh wow, I didn't know that either. Interesting predicament...

I know a girl in Europe who has hirsutism, and she was prescribed "cyproterone" which is an anti-androgen.

I don't know much about it myself, or if it contains sulfa drugs, or if you can get it in North America, or even how great it is at treating hirsutism. But it might be something you could ask your doctor about?

Thanks

laceyh- which 'it' did you take for a week? The met and spiro combo, or the inistol? just curious, thanks!

Thanks

I do take Metformin and I took the Spironolactone for about 1 week. They had to hook me up to IV's and even after I became fully hyrdrated it took a long time for me to gain back all of my mental functions. It is a very bad feeling to feel like your loosing your mind and you know it and there is nothing you can do about it.
    TTC since Jan 2009

Hypothyroid
    Thin Cyster
    Non Insulin Resistant

09/05/09- AF
    12/10/09- Positive OPK
    12/25/09- AF

02/06/10- AF
    03/26/10- Surprise BFP!

Thanks

I found this information on a fact sheet for the Center for Applied Reproductive Science. I do not know if these also contain sulfa, and one is not available in the United States, but here is the list:

Cyproterone acetate (CA) is a potent anti-androgen and weak progestin. CA is available only outside the United States. Its effectiveness in treatment of hirsutism is well substantiated. Most patients will report decreased hair growth and some patients become amenorrheic. While CA is usually well tolerated, its glucocorticoid activity may cause weight gain.
    Flutamide (Eulexin) is a non-steroidal anti-androgen indicated for treatment of prostatic cancer. Its action is similar to spironolactone and cyproterone acetate in that androgen action is reversibly blocked at the androgen receptor. Flutamide is theoretically superior to cyproterone due to its absence of prednisone (steroid) like activity and to spironolactone because of its lack of alteration in kidney function. A majority of patients report the side effect of dry skin. Less common side-effects are hot flushes, increased appetite, headache, fatigue, and nausea. It is metabolized by the liver and fatal liver toxicity has been reported. While some have reported the drug as safe and superior to spironolactone, others report a similar efficacy and avoid its use due to its high cost and potential of serious liver damage.
    Finasteride (Proscar, Propecia) is not a true anti-androgen, but since it is an alternative to anti-androgen therapy, it is described here. Finasteride is an inhibitor of 5a-reductase activity and was initially indicated for use in the management of benign prostatic hypertrophy. Now it has been approved and received the most publicity for its capacity to thwart male pattern baldness in some men. Since its action is directed at the point of production of the active skin androgen dihydrotestosterone, the drug shows promise in the treatment of hirsutism. The dose of 5 mg. daily is usually prescribed. Finasteride is questionably as effective as spironolactone. The safety profile and tolerance appears to be very good. Despite the pregnancy warning and high cost, the theoretical advantages and excellent tolerance may make this a drug to consider.
    Vaniqa (eflornithine) does not inhibit the production or action of androgens but interferes with an enzyme found in the hair follicle needed for hair growth (ornithine decarboxylase). It is a cream used twice daily and only on the face. About one in three patients have reported marked improvement. Some improvement is seen in about another one-third, but this is also about the improvement when women used a cream containing no active ingredient (placebo). Improvement is gradual and may not be evident for 2 months and may take as long as six months. If there is no improvement in six months, use is discontinued. Less than one percent of the active ingredient is absorbed into the body. Side effects are rare and usually limited to skin sensitivity. Use is pregnancy should be avoided and while the risks are unknown, use in those attempting a pregnancy should be discouraged.

I took this information from ivf-et.com/tlc/fact_pcos.html

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks

laceyh-thanks for clarifying...I've been seriously debating inisotol, and curious if that's was what had given you trouble. I've done spiro for about 6 months now, and seem to be fine with it, which weirds me out, knowing how much trouble a sulfa antibiotic gave me (swelled up like a puffer fish and couldn't walk).

Thanks

I know this drug is suppose to help with acne and the hair growth but I can honestly say Metformin has helped more than I ever thought it would. Only after a month I can tell a MAJOR difference in my acne. And I had my first Natural (NO HELP) period since I as 15!
    TTC since Jan 2009

Hypothyroid
    Thin Cyster
    Non Insulin Resistant

09/05/09- AF
    12/10/09- Positive OPK
    12/25/09- AF

02/06/10- AF
    03/26/10- Surprise BFP!

Thanks

Thanks for sharing the info about the Sulfa. I had a horrible reaction to a sulfa drug ten years ago that was life threatening and have been on the Spino for a couple of months. I will be sure to call my docter and discuss it with her.
    Lisa
    PCOS DX since 1996
    Mom to 2 kiddos through Adoption