Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default How long does it take Metformin to kick in? Get a period?

I'm brand new to the board. I have been on Metformin for 3 months now. I still have yet to have a period. How long does it take Metformin to do anything? I have PCOS and am only taking metformin at this point. My doctor told me to be on this for 6 months. I was on birth control for about a year, went off, had a period for 2 months, then started trying to get pregnant..no period since. I have been taking METFormin for 3 months, and i'm just really sad and wondering when it will show any signs of working. I really could use some advice.
    thank you so much, cysters.

Lcj

Thanks

I'm so glad you asked this. I have been on Metformin (1000mg a day) for three months too, and so far have not had AF. It looks like we're in the same boat! Hopefully someone can answer this for us.

Thanks

When I started taking it it only took a couple months to bring a period but now im back to not having one on my own again. Irritating!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I took met for a month give or take a few days and AF came. It was a big accomplishment to me because I hadn't had a period on my own unless on bcp's or coming off bcp's since I was 15, I'm 23 now.
    DX'd: 5/18/09 PCOS and Hypothyroid
    Melisa (24)
    No longer TTC
    Current Meds: Metformin (2000mg), Synthroid(50mcg)
    Current Supplements: Femaprin, Prenatal, Magnesium, Insoitol, Multi-vitamin, Royal Jelly
    Cheri's reading is saying AUGUST/GIRL (We shall see)
    Current Weight: 228 S/T: 200 L/T: 170 58 lbs to go!!!

Thanks

I took 500mg met for 1 month. No AF.
    Then the dose was bumped up to 1000mg. Got AF.
    Next cycle I was still on 1000mg but never got my period.

Turns out I got pregnant!

Don't lose hope ladies. You may want to ask about upping your dose if you're worried
    Annalei (35) & Kainoa (38)
    Cycle 3: Clomid 100mg + Guaifenesin BFP on CD11!!!!
    Currently pregnant with Twin di/di Boys!

Hidden Content

Thanks

I've been on Met since Sept. and have not had my own period. My doc wasn't hopeful that I would on my own though. He said for some it works, others it doesn't. Oh yeah, I'm taking 2000mg a day too! So now I have started clomid...

Thanks

I took it for six months -- three doses of 500mg a day. Then my period came. But I am still waiting for the next one. I don't like metformin, but if it helps with AF thats what matters.
    Current Medication:
    Metformin, Vitamin D, Saw Palmetto, Omega 3, Soy lecithin, B12, Vitamin D, Chromium

Suspected PCOS: 2003. DX PCOS: 2009; Borderline Type II Diabetes April 2009.Hidden Content
    Exercise Programs: Gym!! Hidden Content

Thanks

I started slowly on met- 500 a day, now up to 2000 a day.

At first, it was very very slow to work (at least 6 months).
    It never did fully regulate my period- after a few years, it was still 100+ day cycles (even with weight loss).

My current RE doesn't believe in met. I only use it still for IR, but it didn't work very well for my cycles. True, 100 days is a heck of a lot better than randomly every 6 months (if I was lucky)- so I guess it brought me from extreme to somewhat predictable, if still out of whack. Make sense?

Thanks

i think it depends on how high your dose is. i am on 2000mg daily and got my period 35 days after starting the medication. i started slowly with 500mg/day for the first week and then adding an additional 500 every week untill i got up to the 2000mg mark. my doc wanted my body to get used to the new medication slowly...even doing it slowly it was horrible! if i were you i would ask my doctor why you still arn't getting a period just to see if it could be taken care of with a higher dose.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Unhappy

I am on Metformin 500 twice a night so a total of 1000, I have been on Met for a month and woke up this morning with some spotting. Have not had a cycle since April of 09. Getting Very Nervous as my Husband and I are trying to get pregnant and its just very hard going through this. Anyone else going through this with success stories???

Thanks

I've been on 1000mg for almost 3 weeks and I got my period 5 days after starting it. I guess it all depends on your dosages, at least thats what I've noticed. Good Luck!

Thanks

I think maybe you should try a higher dosage if possible (you didn't mention how much you're currently taking). I started out at 500 for a couple of months and it didn't do much for me. I went up to 1000 and that finally started my periods (although they weren't always regular), so sometimes, just upping the dosage is enough, but my testosterone was still high, so I was at 2000 at one point and that was actually when I saw the most benefit, but unfortunately, it's also what caused the worst tummy issues that so commonly plague met users. I just couldn't tolerate being in the potty all day so I went back down to 1000. I'm really considering giving the 2000 another try (which is what my doctor wants me on anyway) and seeing if I can adjust the time of day I take it or something to help with the tummy issues because while 1000 a day does help me with acne, HS, and keeps my blood sugar from going too low (I had frequent hypoglycemic episodes before Met), when I stopped the 2000, my periods weren't as normal and now I'm going on my 3rd month w.o one.

But, your doctor should be able to see the results and adjust your dosage too. For about the first year I was on Met, my doc had me do blood tests every 3 months. He checked to see how it was changing my testosterone levels (with 500 there was no change, 1000 had some lowering but still high) and my other hormones (500 did nothing but 1000 increased my SHBG at little - so the 2000 is really my best dose). So, perhaps, if you're not scheduled for one already, you could talk to your doc and say that you're not seeing any results, and ask for a blood work up and see what those say too. If it hasn't changed anything for you physically or internally, then I'd say you and your doc should talk about a different dosage. You really want it to be working for you, especially if your TTC because Met, at a proper dosage, can also aid ovulation.

**relentless fighter** hgielrehtaeh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm on Met ER 2000mg/day. I started in November, worked my way up to the full 2000 over four weeks (500/1000/1500/2000).

I started my first "real" period (not on BCP) in years on Dec 20,2009. I started my second "real" period yesterday, Jan 24, 2010. YAAAAY!

I am wondering if your dosage is high enough.... but I'm not a doctor, so I have no idea!

And, my side effects are mostly gone now, and I can't even begin to tell you how much energy and vitality I have. I'm bubbly the way I was when I was a 16 year old. It's awesome, my fiance is loving it! And I am not as depressed anymore. It's amazing.
    EDD 07/04/12.
    Diagnosed
    04/09.
    TTC since 09/09.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hgielrehtaeh For This Useful Post:

socalgirl1978 (02-26-2011)

Thanks

i was diagnosed with pcos 4 years ago i am 23 and never had a reguler period
    i always had to take norethisterone to induce a period because i had never got them natuarlly either
    not untill september 7th 2010 i was on holiday and it just came when i came home from holiday september 12th 2010
    i started taking metformin 500mg a day along with clomid 100mg
    i went straight through to CD35 then got my period again wich lasted 6 days
    so far so good i went for my checkup on novemeber 8th 2010 were my doc told me everything is getting better an keep doing
    what im doing he then pescribed me with more clomid and more metformin but this time it was 1000mg metformin
    and kept clomid to 100mg now im on CD59 and no sign of a period comin i went to the docs on december 1st were she told me
    just to wait it out a bit longer i have done plenty of pg tests all negative i have to go back to the docs on december 14th
    all in all i started metformin 500mg daily and had a natural period im now on 1000mg and nothing i also had a progesterone level
    of 4.3 my partner keeps telling me im pg but if i was wouldnt a pg test show up positive by now
    if any one has experianced this i would love to here it and what you out come was
    and very sorry foe the essay

Thanks

i was diagnosed with pcos 4 years ago i am 23 and never had a reguler period
    i always had to take norethisterone to induce a period because i had never got them natuarlly either
    not untill september 7th 2010 i was on holiday and it just came when i came home from holiday september 12th 2010
    i started taking metformin 500mg a day along with clomid 100mg
    i went straight through to CD35 then got my period again wich lasted 6 days
    so far so good i went for my checkup on novemeber 8th 2010 were my doc told me everything is getting better an keep doing
    what im doing he then pescribed me with more clomid and more metformin but this time it was 1000mg metformin
    and kept clomid to 100mg now im on CD59 and no sign of a period comin i went to the docs on december 1st were she told me
    just to wait it out a bit longer i have done plenty of pg tests all negative i have to go back to the docs on december 14th
    all in all i started metformin 500mg daily and had a natural period im now on 1000mg and nothing i also had a progesterone level
    of 4.3 my partner keeps telling me im pg but if i was wouldnt a pg test show up positive by now
    if any one has experianced this i would love to here it and what you out come was
    and very sorry foe the essay