Thanks
    Blog Entries

Question Does PCOS go away after pregnancy?

It took us 6 years, 1 m/c and a dx of PCOS to have our little man Gavin. I am back on Metformin now but wondering if I need to be. He's 3 months old and I'd like to get pregnant again right away. Does anyone know if PCOS or the infertility caused by PCOS goes away or changes after you've had a baby?
    Sarah-Me (25) Nathan-DH (25) Married 3/15/03

Gavin born October 28th, 2009!!! We are so blessed!

on Metformin 1000mg/day

Hidden Content

Thanks

Not sure if it goes away? but i didn't have PCOS until AFTER i had my son (age 21). I had regular periods (every 29 days on the dot) since i was 11 and conceived 3 times NO problem... Things just never went back to normal after DS was born... *shrugs* I guess it could work the opposite way too?
    (Jess) 27Hidden Content (Chris) 30

Hidden Content Our 4 Munchkins:
    Joshua- 6yrs, Dominick- 3yrs, Luciana- 2yrs & Addison- born 10/24/13 7lb-11oz and 20in

Hidden Content

Thanks

My dr said she plans on checking my hormone levels again after I finish bf'ing to see if I'm one of the lucky ones that have pregnancy "reset" my hormones. I haven't read anything giving the stats for how often it happens, but it's possible

Thanks

I don't think so. There are too many ladies on here who still have issues after having a child. I tried as soon as DD was 3 weeks old & was never able to get pg w/o fertility treatments. However, some ladies have milder cases & are able to do more natural remedies.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I've heard that you can go back to being "normal" for a little while after you have the baby, but most likely your PCOS syptoms will either just wham be back or that they will come back slowly over time (could be a few months or years)
    Hidden Content Lisa Marie
    Me (25) DH(38)
    Married on 8/25/07
    BFP on 9/6/09-2nd Round of Clomid!
    Anna Caroline born 5/5/10 via C-section -failed induction, Pre-E
    BFP on 10/4/10 Total Surprise!
    Ainsley Grace born 5/20/11 via c-section

Thanks

It can be possible to be more fertile right after having a baby. I was dx'ed with PCOS 13 yrs ago and my symptoms have gotten worse over the years. I was able to conceive and my symptoms slowed down for 2 yrs and then I was back to the wacky hormones again and the missing AF, but it wasn't as bad as it was before having a baby. I mean I could go 9 months without AF, but after baby I think the most I went was 3 months.

Anyways, I am now pregnant with a 'surprise' baby as we weren't TTC, but we also haven't prevented in 4 years so this is a miracle as it took us 3 years with medical intervention to conceive #1.

Not all women with PCOS have infertility. Some have primary infertility, meaning the 1st baby make take some work and time, but they are more fertile after. Some experience secondary infertility meaning they had a 1st baby no problems and then had to seek medical help in conceiving the 2nd or more.

Good luck! Fertility with PCOS is a gamble.

Bee
    Me:39 DH:40
    Lillian Grace: conceived after 3 yrs TTC, Met, Lap & HSG, & Male Factor
    Reese Edward: conceived Au Naturale
    11/17/09 Preventative cerclage (failed), 1/6/10 Repeat cerclage, 1/25/10 On bedrest
    7/13/10 Tubal Ligation~~No more babies, I can't hold them in and don't want to risk another tiny life =(

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

the .com is a typo coobeastie.com's Avatar
    Thanks

I had maybe 3 normal periods when DS was a baby, and then it was back to normal PCOS stuff. In fact, it seems like after DS I lost more hair than before and I was having giant clots every time AF came (and they lasted until I went to the dr to get Provera to restart my cycle).
    Beth
    Jacob - born 12.13.07 via unplanned c-section, 9lbs 6oz
    Adrienne - born 3.31.10 via scheduled c-section, 7lbs 15oz

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I think the answer to this is the dreaded 'it depends on the person'. When we started TTC, we tried Clomid first. I did 4 cycles and only O'd once. When we did more testing we determined we had male factor issues too (count under 1 mil). We went straight to IVF and had my daughter. I was determined to have #2 without treatment. I had a csection with DD so I had to wait a year before trying again so I used that year to prepare. I wanted to try the lose weight method to try to ovulate again. Because I'm weak and knew it would take too long on my own, I joined Jenny Craig about 4 months prior to the 1 year mark. I lost 15 pounds and started O'ing. (now you can argue it was the weight loss or the 'having a baby'. I guess I'll never know). I also did research and put DH on supplements for his issue. At the 1 year mark, we started trying and got pregnant right away. Unfortunately it ended in MC at 7.5 weeks. I waited 3 months after my D&C and we tried again. By this time, I had gained all my weight back because of depression caused by the miscarriage. On our second cycle after the D&C, I got pregnant again. I'm now 19 weeks. So after needing IVF for have my daughter, I've been able to get pregnant twice on my own. I wouldn't say my PCOS is gone because I still have the hair issue, but maybe it was mild enough that my first pregnancy kick started some things. So, yes it's possible to concieve naturally after a rough first time around, but like a PP said, there are others who have needed fertility help for subsequent children as well. I hope you are in the first group with me! Good luck!!
    Me- 33 DH-34
    2/07- 1st IVF- BFN
    7/07- FET w/3 frosties- BFP!
    Elena Graciella "Ellie" was born 3/17/08 via c-section!! Hidden Content
    4/09- Natural BFP- MC at 7.5w
    Bella Sophia was born 6/13/10 via c-sectionHidden Content

Thanks

I had PCOS well before I had my DD. I was able to get pregnant with DD without even trying to get pregnant. After she was born , my hormones were leveled more then they had been but it was short lived. About a year after she was born, my periods went back to being whacked out and never got any better. For me, exercise and losing around 20 lbs always helped me greatly to get my hormones back on track to some degree...at least good enough to conceive our second child...it ws the same with our DD...I had taken up eating right and lost about 15 lbs and three months later, I was pregnant.
    Me- 29
    DH- 34
    DD- DOB- 2-5-06Hidden Content
    DS- DOB 6/20/10 Hidden Content

Self Dx'ed PCOS: Summer 00
    Official PCOS Dx: June 09

Hidden Content

Hidden Content Baby Gabriel Orion Born at home June 20th, 2010

Thanks

nope, not in my experience at least - - - and my RE told me that it was an "old wives tale" that your body resets itself - - -but have seen some ladies improve after pregnancy - - so it's probably a case by case basis... good luck!
    Annie (32)
    Metformin 1500mg daily

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content