Thanks

Default Gynecologist in Austin

I am looking for a new gynecologist in Austin, TX. I do not need an obstetrician, though I don't mind if they are. I have an endocrinologist and have been diagnosed with PCOS for more than 20 years. However, I would like a doctor who is comfortable with PCOS symptoms, issues, and women living with it.

Thanks.

Thanks

Default I recommend Dr. Brasher-Giles

Dr. B-G is located at the Austin Regional Clinic at Seton Northwest & is my gynocologist. She is very nice, knows about PCOS, & is willing to either write prescriptions for you herself or let you work through an endocrinologist.

BTW who is your endo here in Austin? I'm currently seeing Dr. Yousuf & I don't like her that much.

I can't post a URL but here's the info from her webpage.
    -------------

Sharyl Brasher-Giles joined ARC in 1999

Facility

ARC Seton Northwest
    11111 Research Blvd.
    Suites 475
    Austin, TX 78759
    (512) 338-8181

Board Certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology

Thanks

I see Dr. Patrick Pevoto, for both Gyne issues and Ob.
    He is awesome and him and his nurse practitioner are VERY knowledgeable about PCOS.
    He practices behind NAMC.
    His office number is 512-973-0262.
    Sam (32)
    Loving & Living Life w/ Mark (33)Hidden Content
    5 Beautiful Children
    Darcy(dd), 11 going on 21Hidden Content
    Brennen(ds),8
    Connor(ds), 7
    Brandon(ds), 6
    Lawrence JacksonHidden Content July 15, 2010
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angledge View Post
    BTW who is your endo here in Austin?

Ahh, who haven't I seen in Austin :-) I'll keep it down to just the last 15 years, because past that I start confusing which doc was which :-)

I saw Padma Horvit and really liked her but detested her staff from front desk to nurse. I'd recommended her to my mother, who said the exact same thing (yay doctor, boo staff).

I also saw Michele McDermott. I went to her because she'd done some studies on PCOS. Loved some things about her, but she was very unsympathetic in others. At this point she's focusing on menopausal women. I was getting more dissatisfied with putting up with her negatives, but she kicked me out for not being old enough before I could decide whether to do anything :-)

I'm currently seeing Melanie Spindler. So far I'm tentatively impressed. It's great how much time she's willing to spend talking to you once you're in her office. It can take a while to get an appointment though and sometimes you end up waiting a long time the day of your visit.

Long ago I saw Fahrenkamp and Blevins and those are the two I can't keep straight anymore. One I detested, the other I don't remember much about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Samie View Post
    He is awesome and him and his nurse practitioner are VERY knowledgeable about PCOS.
    Wow. You covered what's important to me, both the doctor and the staff and the knowledgeable about PCOS.

But I found myself having second thoughts because it's a he. It's been probably 15 years since I've had a male ob/gyn. Huh. A little surprised at myself.

I'll have to think about it and look into more. I think part of my current hesitation stems from the fact I've gained so much weight and I want a doctor who I feel is both comfortable with that (or make me comfortable with the exam?) and who knows how to get the physical information he needs around that issue. That's one of the issues with my current ob/gyn; I feel she's hanging back a little when she exams me. Or I could be crazy in the head and way overly self conscious.

Thanks for the info to both of y'all.

Thanks

Dr. Spindler has been recommended many, many times to me... but she is no longer accepting new PCOS patients. Dr. Yousuf - the endo I am seeing now, who I don't like very much - is in the same office.