Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks

I am trying to drop weight too. small baby steps. I am trying low carb...Ill tell you, I am overwhelmed. Im not sure what diet to follow. WW, South Beach, IR diet, low GI diet, low carb....

Im currently on Met XR 500mg working up to at least 1500mg. 1500mg was hard the last time. Do you spilt the pills up or take em all at once?

So far my modifications have been limiting the sugar...if i get a craving for chocolate Ill have a small piece of a mini milky way...like 1 or 2.

oatmeal in the morning and fruit...better than a crossiant

I switched to whole wheat and multigrain breads from white

eating more salads.

Any know if the POP chips are ok for you??

I need to get some work out DVDs....Im trying gang. Im glad i found this site. I need support. i dont know anyone else with PCOS so its hard to relate.

Thanks

Thumbs down Metformin XR

Hey all.. saw Dr Tuesday and he gave me the metformin XR 500mg to take, however I am switching dr's to my friends dr who she has been seeing for a very long time. Here is my prob with my dr

I'm on
    Wellbutrin XL 300mg
    Adderall 10mg
    Metformin 500mg
    Ambien 10mg
    Vitamin D 50,000IU

He wanted to ADD to my current meds
    Lexapro 20mg
    Trazadone 10mg (to replace Ambien)
    Metformin XR (to replace regular Metformin).

My pharmacist told me if I took what he recommended I would end up in a seratonin induced coma called seratonin syndrome. The pharmacist said that Wellbutrin, Lexapro, and Trazadone are all antidepressants that deal with the same SSRI inhibiter. It was up to me, but If I choose to take them I had to sign some sort of waiver of liability with them.

I have an appointment with the new Dr March 15th to review meds. I am continuing my regular meds with exception of metformin xr to replace the metformin regular until I see the dr.

I have been forced to discontinue the Ambien due to insurance regulations. Crazy huh..

Sharon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sharon (36) Single...
    Dx Type II Diabetic - Sept 2008 (Last A1C 4.5 1/10)
    Dx ADD - July 2009
    Dx PCOS - Feb 2010

Meds:
    Sugars/PCOS -Metformin 500mg (2x/day-total 1000mg)
    Vit D Deficient - Vitamin D 50,000IU Rx
    Adult ADD - Adderall 10mg
    Depression - Wellbutrin XL 300mg
    Adult Acne/Rosceasa-Minocycline HCL 100mg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLKell0782 View Post
    I am trying to drop weight too. small baby steps. I am trying low carb...Ill tell you, I am overwhelmed. Im not sure what diet to follow. WW, South Beach, IR diet, low GI diet, low carb....

Im currently on Met XR 500mg working up to at least 1500mg. 1500mg was hard the last time. Do you spilt the pills up or take em all at once?

So far my modifications have been limiting the sugar...if i get a craving for chocolate Ill have a small piece of a mini milky way...like 1 or 2.

oatmeal in the morning and fruit...better than a crossiant

I switched to whole wheat and multigrain breads from white

eating more salads.

Any know if the POP chips are ok for you??

I need to get some work out DVDs....Im trying gang. Im glad i found this site. I need support. i dont know anyone else with PCOS so its hard to relate.
    Welcome!
    1st your diet doesn't really matter as long as you choose something you can stick to and that controls your calories. Many women here are successful with South Beach, IR, low GI, etc.

2nd with extended release you only need to take once a day with a meal.

For work out dvd's I strongly recommend all of Jillian Michaels' stuff. She is the best!

good luck!

and Sharon, considering what the pharmacist told you I would definitely get a second opinion on all those meds.

Ok ladies, I just switched over to regular Metformin, 1500 mg. So far I don't feel any side effects. Anyone know if this means that maybe Metformin wont work for me?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I am on the reg metformin 500mg once a day. does it help you loose weight? since i have pcos and it is hard to loose a pound.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I am new to this.. I was diagnosed with PCOS in late 2006, have been on & off of medication, due to insurance situations... I finally went back to my doctor a month ago.

I started taking 500 mg, twice a day.. I got a bit nauseous atfirst. However, my stomach started to get used to it, and it slowly ceased.. I was also on weight loss supplements, which the doctor suggested I keep taking with Met.. I lost a total of 15 pounds the first three weeks.. I then stopped taking MET due to a cold and ear infections, I was taking antibiotics and didnt want to mix.. Now I'm starting with 1000 mg 2 x a day, along with the weight loss supplements.. maybe I can lose another 15 lbs..

I am down 7 lbs in two weeks.. I currently weigh 214 lbs.. I want to get down to 180 lbs.. I figured I would place 15 lb goals.. baby steps.. baby steps..

xing my fingers.. here we go!!!

Thanks

welcome netty and nicky!

nicky, if you combine metformin with a calorie controlled diet and 5 hours of exercise a week, you will lose weight.

netty, what weight loss supplements are you taking?

Thanks

Im taking Advocare Supplements..

Max 3, Catalyst, & Thermoplus ...

I forgot to mention, Im also on Aldactone, & Trinessa

Registered User Sweetenedsapphire's Avatar
    Thanks

This is my fourth day on it, (third FULL day). Day one was halfway through the day, so only 500mg was taken, but for the last 3 days I have been on 1000mg. I've already noticed a difference food wise.

Before Met, DH and I had got in the bad habit of eating after our DD went to bed, shortly before we would get to bed, and we're not talking a snack or so... it was sandwiches, etc. Just felt soooo hungry for some reason. Not to mention during the day. HOWEVER, since starting Met, i haven't been craving that meal right before bedtime. I get full much quicker. Half of a meal I would normally eat had me full like I had eaten two plates full of my usual. Sweets dont interest me anymore, which is good as I do get nauses when I eat them on Met.

The only bad side effects I have had, started on the 2nd day on Met and that was some diarrhea the first day and not really any since. I get some vague nausea here and there, but usually only if I eat something sugary. Luckily, side effects haven't been that bad on me. Even the nausea is so minor, it dosent effect my functioning at all. Still could run and jump if I were so inclined. Oh, and had some fatigue the first/second day, but it was minor.

I've already lost weight just from not eating so dang much in a day and actually eating normal portion sizes. So far, so good. I am hoping it brings on AF, like the vitex did on Feb. 23rd and most of all that I actually ovulate for once. That would be great.

Thanks

I'm glad you're not having horrible side effects, Sweetenedsapphire!

I have been on 1500 of regular Metformin for three full days. Last nigh i had a piece of pizza and that made me feel a little bloated and had to use the restroom but no diarrhea or nausea. Anyone else feel like their muscles are twitching more?

My bicep would not stop!

I haven't weighed myself yet...I'm gonna wait until a whole week of work outs and calorie control *crosses fingers*
    I just can't help but feel that it may not work for me since I'm not getting the horrible side effects I've heard so much about lol

anyway, keep working hard ladies!
    oh, and if anyone here uses sparkpeople let me know so we can be friends on there.
    Off to lower body work out!

Thanks

Hey ladies,

I am also not trying to conceive, but trying to lose weight.

I started metformin in combination with Yasmin last year October. Luckily I never expierienced the horrible side effects that most met users go through in the beginning. I am on 850mg twice a day now. I have to admit that I have not been taking it regulary though, but I have lost 11lbs since last year October, but I have not been on a diet.

The biggest change I noticed is that my life quality has improved so much. The fatigue is gone and I feel so much more active. My carb cravings have vanished, I eat smalller portions and have no cravings. The reason why I skip metformin is usually because I don't feel like eating something or I am going out with friends and we drink alcohol - alcohol and met just doesn't mix well for me. I am not a crazy binge drinker though, I noticed it sounded a bit like it just now. *lol*

I noticed that I start losing weight as soon as I start exercising or I reduce the calorie intake, doesn't matter if it is low carb or not. And even if I sometimes eat something bad, like a sweet pastry or ice cream, I still don't gain weight. Before met I would gain weight by eating any kind of bad carb, even if the calorie intake for that day was low. And it would trigger heavy cravings. That's all gone now. And I cannot tell you how happy and liberated I feel about that!!

For a quick, high intensity work out I can defo recommend Jillan Michaels 30 day shred. I walk a lot and also go for a run, sometimes 3 times a week, sometimes only once a month - but the 20 minute work out Level one was such a killer, I could barely walk for 2 days!!

I am currently considering to go back on the south beach diet for a bit, especially now that I am on met. That diet really works wonders, but it's just nothing for me long term (too much meat and eggs). Weight watchers also have been working great for me in the past - I joined the online program. But they just changed their points system and I am a bit lost with it.

I just have to get back on track, since I want to lose 50lbs. 50lbs, omg, that sounds so much! :o

Thanks

Sorry for the double post, the site is slow today!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Smile hi

netty where do you get those weight loss supplements? are they natural or presciption?

Thanks

i have been on 1500mg of metformin and ive lost about 30 pounds before my doctor put me on it i couldnt lose any weight the more i tried the more i gained

Thanks

welcome Ms Squirrel!

and I agree Jillian Michaels kicks butt!

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmommy23 View Post
    i have been on 1500mg of metformin and ive lost about 30 pounds before my doctor put me on it i couldnt lose any weight the more i tried the more i gained
    congrats on the weight loss!

How long did it take you to lose all that weight? That's how much I'm looking to lose and I am on 1500 mg as well.

Ladies, I got really discouraged today

I weighed 1 lb more than last week. And I've been on 1500 Met for 5 days. Shouldn't I at least be maintaining? I started to cry because I really did think this would help me lose weight. I've been working out and controlling my calories. Maybe it's too soon. Any thoughts?

But I do remember that last time I lost weight without even trying was when I was on Yaz. I think it was the anti-androgen in it? I just don't want to take birth control ever again. Please help me out

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adm07 View Post
    welcome Ms Squirrel!

and I agree Jillian Michaels kicks butt!

congrats on the weight loss!

How long did it take you to lose all that weight? That's how much I'm looking to lose and I am on 1500 mg as well.

Ladies, I got really discouraged today

I weighed 1 lb more than last week. And I've been on 1500 Met for 5 days. Shouldn't I at least be maintaining? I started to cry because I really did think this would help me lose weight. I've been working out and controlling my calories. Maybe it's too soon. Any thoughts?

But I do remember that last time I lost weight without even trying was when I was on Yaz. I think it was the anti-androgen in it? I just don't want to take birth control ever again. Please help me out

i was on it back in april i was takein 500mg twice a day for a few months i lost about 15/20 pounds then i stopped takeing it for a few months then when i got back on met with a higher mg and went on a 1500 calorie diet is really when i started to notice that i was loseing weight and alot of other people have noticed to before i started met i was around 210 i am down to 180