Thanks

Default Elevated liver enzymes

Hi

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and was send to a RE. Thought all was well and today she called and said my liver enzymes are elevated and they can't start me on clomid. Anyone else have this happened? She told me I need to see my primary care physician who would need to sign off that it is ok to start or figure out what the problem is. I went off the pill in August and since then have gained about 15 pounds. Could that be the cause? Can you take clomid and metphorm with high liver enzymes? Is she just being cautious? We are anxious to start trying for a baby! Thanks for any advice/information!

Thanks

Some women with PCOS develop non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Are you insulin-resistant? There are a lot of studies out there on the link between the two. Definitely get additional testing to get it under control.

A friend of mine with PCOS was diagnosed with a fatty liver. Once she was able to get her insulin levels under better control, her liver enzymes improved and she eventually conceived twins with IVF.

Thanks

Yes definately see you primary care physician. I had elevated LFT's over a year ago due to some cholesterol medication that I was taken. I had to have repeat testing of the LFT's to see if the number was dropping or staying the same. The metformin could be the culprit in your case. LFT testing should be done every 3 - 6 months. Your physician may send you for a scan to check your liver and may ask you to stop taking the metformin and try something else. My LFT's slowly dropped after I was taken off the cholesterol medication and put on something else that didn't stress my liver. All good on this end so far. Best of luck to you!

Thanks

Thanks! Had my tests redone and an u/s on liver and all are fine! They don't know what caused them to be high in the first place but all is good now!

Thanks

Elevated liver enzymes can also be caused by having diabetes. Make sure you get a diabetes check. If you are overweight; definately exercise and eat green leafy veggies are also good for fatty liver. (Dr. Oz said this on his show.)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I was just diagnosed with PCOS and she told me my liver enzymes were extremely elevated. I have to go get an U/S as well. I have that on Friday as well as a transvaginal u/s. Very curious to see if im IR. I have low blood sugar as well. I just went to the primary care doctor for this, but next is I have to go to an actual OBGYN to get more testing.
    Brandi 25 Cory 28Hidden Content
    TTC our miracle child since August 2009. Diagnosed with PCOS Jan 2010. Good SA.
    2000mg Metformin.

Feel like giving up? Just remember why you held on so long in the first place.
    My Infertility Blog
    Hidden Content

Thanks

On my last visit to my endocrine doctor my blood test showed that my liver enzymes were still elevated eventhough I have lost 11lbs. When I first got diagnoised with PCOS a year ago my liver enzymes were elevated then too. I took metformin for a short while but I couldnt tolerate it very well at all. All I'm doing now is working on my diet and taking some vitamins & dietery supplements.

: / This is freaking me out a little bit because he suggested I may need to see a gastroenterologist because he doesnt know why its elevated. I just wonder why hes acting clueless if this is something that seems to be common among PCOS patients.