Thanks

Angry Vulvar acne/bumps on vulva and scalp! Need advice!

When I was actually having a period because i was on bc, I would get these pimples right before or during my period on the vulvar area. It was never a lot, just one or two, but they would always be really painful and they would eventually drain. (sorry if thats tmi)

Well now i'm getting these bumps a lot more often, i feel like the entire external area is riddled with them. I also havent had my period in 7 months.
    I'm pretty sure this is some form of cystic acne in my nether regions and that its tied to hormones.

I just don't know what to do about them. How can i prevent them and treat them? They hurt and are itchy and uncomfortable. They aren't STD related, i've never had sex and am STD free. Also this has been happening for years, it's just in the past year or so that they've become a lot more frequent.

I get similar bumps on my scalp, they itch and then scab over. And I def. have lots of dandruff. Ugh it makes my head feel so gross!

The more i read about PCOS the more i realize all my symptoms are united through it. I used to think of all these issues as completely seperate issues (and have also been told so). but my gut instinct is that it isn't.

Anyways advice would be great! I'm just so itchy.

Thanks

I don't get anything like that on/around the genital area so much but I do get them on my scalp. I get what feel like cysts or hives on my scalp that itch and/or an extremely dry/flaky scalp that I find myself scratching and digging at constantly/absentmindedly if I'm left without something to keep my hands occupied, and then they begin to sting/burn and scab over eventually. They usually only have clear fluid in them unless I scratch too hard and make them bleed. I get them all along my jaw line and around my ears and hairline as well as on my chest and shoulders, and around my neck. I'm trying to pinpoint exactly what is causing it... I have found though that if I lose a bit of weight I can control this and other PCOS symptoms to a point, but right now I'm at a heavier weight and so my symptoms have returned. If anyone knows of any treatments aside from the obvious health/weight loss, please share!
    Myself - 31 years old
    Devoted Husband - 34 years old
    TTC naturally, have to get my weight down at least 15-20 lbs before I will see any real progress as don't think I am ovulating yet.
    Meds: None - just advil for my chronic migraines
    Supplements: Chromium, Vitamin B, Daily Vitamin, Prenatal, Vitamin D, Protein Powder (on occasion).

If opportunity isn't knocking, build a door!
    -unknown

Thanks

Hmm, the way you describe the bumps in the genital area, screams to me genital herpes.. but you did say you've never had sex.

have you ever gone to the dr to have them looked at? I know it's kind of awkward and what not.. but it's something that should be checked out, espeically if you've been getting lot more frequent and more in quantity.. Not really something to brush off.
    Me 28 & Hubby 29
    Proud Marine Wife!
    Mommy to 3 Pugs
    TTC #1 as of 12/09
    Cycle #1- Follistim & Menopur= cycle canceled no response
    Cycle #2- Follistim, Menopur & HCG inj= Cycle canceled due to OHSS
    Cycle #3- Follistim, Menopur, HCG inj +IUI= BFN
    Taking a break due to deployment

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CindyRB8603 View Post
    Hmm, the way you describe the bumps in the genital area, screams to me genital herpes.. but you did say you've never had sex.

have you ever gone to the dr to have them looked at? I know it's kind of awkward and what not.. but it's something that should be checked out, espeically if you've been getting lot more frequent and more in quantity.. Not really something to brush off.
    I was thinking the same thing. And you can get genital herpes without actually having sex -- skin to skin contact is sufficient.

You described multiple pimples. Do you mean 1 or 2 or a lot? I have had a Bartholin's gland cyst in that area before, but it was a single sore near the opening to the vagina. I think there is another form of sebaceous gland cysts that can develop on the vulvar area. I would try to get an immediate appointment the next time that you have a breakout so that the doctor can examine them and take a biopsy if necessary to confirm and suggest treatment.

I would also avoid waxing if you currently do wax, because my issues always seem to follow a wax (not immediately, but a couple of months later).

Thanks

I've had a biopsy done and it came out clear. I was told by one woman that it was basically acne but on the vulvar region and another doctor said clogged sweat glands so i'm not sure. I know for a fact it's not genital herpes, doctors didn't seem concerned about that and i've seen a few of them about it. I've read somewhere that using anti bacterial soap on the region can help but I worry about using anything scented because my skin is so sensitive.
    But i think going when i have a breakout is a good suggestion, it seems to have calmed down for now!

Thanks

I would get similar spots on my scalp during periods of high stress, and I could not get rid of them for a long time, even using medicated shampoo. I have basically no problems with this since I have switched to a specific shampoo/conditioner regimen that was recommended by my hair stylist. The regimen is just PureOlogy Hydrate Shampoo and Conditioner, once a day, every day. It is expensive stuff, but it goes a long way. You can buy sample sized bottles at Mitchell's last time I checked. My stylist recommended this to me because I have strange skin allergies, and it has worked like a charm. Since it sounds like you have similar allergies, I thought I would recommend it. Good luck!

Chance is Here!! SunnyInSeattle1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Try to use "Summer's Eve"...they have unscented.
    Sunny (39) & Scott (41)
    DS # 1 Clomid 50mg: BFP 3/24/10, born 11/28/10
    Meds: Met 1000mg, prenatal vits, colace, singular, b-12

TTC # 2 Aug/Sept. Clomid 50mg, cd 5-9, No O.
    Sept/Oct. Clomid 50mg, cd 3-7, O, BFN.
    Oct/Nov. Clomid 100mg, cd 3-7, O, BFN
    Nov/Dec. Clomid 100mg, cd 3-7, Dont know if I O'd, was drugged up
    Dec/Jan. Natural , cd 3-7, ??? Break
    Jan/Feb 2012 ????

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alliapistor View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. And you can get genital herpes without actually having sex -- skin to skin contact is sufficient.

You described multiple pimples. Do you mean 1 or 2 or a lot? I have had a Bartholin's gland cyst in that area before, but it was a single sore near the opening to the vagina. I think there is another form of sebaceous gland cysts that can develop on the vulvar area. I would try to get an immediate appointment the next time that you have a breakout so that the doctor can examine them and take a biopsy if necessary to confirm and suggest treatment.

I would also avoid waxing if you currently do wax, because my issues always seem to follow a wax (not immediately, but a couple of months later).
    Hi alliapistor. You mentioned you had Bartholin's gland cyst before, does that mean it's gone now? What were your symptoms and what was the treatment?

Thanks

Sounds like Hidradenitis Suppurativa. There are a few threads about it around here with good information and helpful hints.
    TTC #1 since 01/03
    2003- Clomid - HSG - SA
    2004- Lap - Gonal-f
    2005- Break
    2006- Saving for IVF - Metformin - BFP 10/06

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by babyraisin View Post
    Hi alliapistor. You mentioned you had Bartholin's gland cyst before, does that mean it's gone now? What were your symptoms and what was the treatment?
    It was a very painful sore right at the opening to the vagina. It was a little itchy at first and then became painful and there was some discharge. I assumed it was a yeast infection or bacterial vag infection as I am prone to them with any changes down there. For me, it started about a month or so after my first FULL bikini wax. When I went to the doctor, he initially thought it was a herpes sore. It looked very similar. He prescribed antivirals and suggested that I use a warm water compress, which helped. He took a sample for a biopsy and it came back negative for all STD's, so he took another sample and it was still negative. I stopped the anti-virals, but continued with the warm washcloth compress and used witch hazel wipes (like the kind for hemorrhoids) and that seemed to help. It went away in about a week.

Fast forward to a year later when I got another bikini wax - and 2 months after the wax, same problem again. Painful bump which turned into a sore. Biopsy for herpes and other stds again and it all came back negative. OB/GYN says that it must be a clogged hair follicle.

Based on my own research of the location and my symptoms, I believe that it is a Bartholin's gland cyst that became infected and broke open (thus the sore like appearance). For me, I think the waxing causes the problem and then it eventually gets infected. Both times have been in the same place. And I did pick at it both times, which made it worse. I think once you have such a cyst, you are prone to get it again.

Thanks

Exclamation Just an suggestion!

chunkyrice
    Vulvar acne/bumps on vulva and scalp! Need advice!
    chunkyrice I suggest you research what PBLayzod said "HIDRADENITIS SUPPURATIVA". I was on that thread the other day reading/researching...and that's what it sounds like to me too. I didn't have the guts to look at pictures because I get the "hebby jivies" (spelling??), but maybe you're braver than me!

Good Luck Cyster! I wish I could link you but I'm fairly new & don't know how! Sorry!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have had the Bartholin's gland cysts before, and they are NOT pleasant. I usually get 1-2 a year, and usually in the summer when it's the hottest. Most of the time they present like acne, and most of the time they are supposed to drain on their own. Mine usually don't. I've had them almost abcess and had to go to the doctor/ER to have them drained. What's scary is how fast they can swell..so bad you can't stand and have to lay down w/ice packs just to get the swelling down enough for the 1-hour trip to the ER. My Dr. said that baths are good for them and I've noticed that if I put vaginal cream on them as soon as I notice them that I can cause them to dry out or shrink...whatever...I just get them to go away. My Dr. said that once you get them once, they will always come back. I have noticed that as I've lost weight-just 15lbs-I've not noticed it acting up (knock on wood). Also wearing cotton panties helps cut down on the irritation that starts them. My Dr. also told me that the next time it acts up that there's a procedure that they can do to eliminate them alltogether. (The thought makes me smile!) It involves, as I understand it, creating a new drainage area for the gland. All I know is that when they abcess, it is the worst pain in the world, but the ER people don't quite get it since you're not bleeding. When they see the problem, however, they do say "oh my goodness, you poor dear. We need to get this fixed" But I've had them b4 I was married and was a virgin w/absolutely no chance of having an STD. Good luck talking w/your Dr.

Thanks

In order to totally get rid of the bartholin's cysts you have a procedure called a marsupialization. I have had this done two times. It is day surgery. The first time I had this done they used general anesthetic and the surgery took about an hour. The second time I had it done I had just given birth and my ob/gym took care of it while I was on the delivery table. Basically a pouch is made so the gland can drain and cannot abcess again. I never had one rupture and drain to the outside. Both of mine just formed large (golf ball) size knots inside my vagina that hurt like all get out. Scared me to death the first time it happened. I was 6 weeks away from getting married. Once drained and marsupialized I have not had the same cysts cause me any problems. They may have a different treatment today because I had my first procedure done 21 years ago. Not sure.

I also use to get cysts in my bend of my legs. I thought it was due to infected hair follicles. Then I get on soul cysters and find out it is due to the pcos. I then came to the realization that the cysts stopped after I got on metformin. It is amazing that all of these issues that I have been dealing with for so many years are pcos related! I have had psoriasis on my elbows, cysts in my vaginal area, and a rash on my back all of which have pretty much disappeared since getting on metformin. I still cannot lose weight, have some facial hair, excessive public hair, and a few other problems that have not been resolved by using metformin. I just aged thinking that was the way I was put together and had no idea that it was all related to pcos until the last couple of years.

Thanks

Thanks to the ladies who suggested hidradenitis suppurativa. Upon looking this up on the forums, it sounds like a lot of ladies have had symptoms similar to mine, what a relief to know i'm not alone! Things haven't been getting better so i'm going to try and see someone at student health and suggest this to them. (hopefully they'll listen)