Thanks

Default Aygestin/Norethindrone to STOP period

Hello all,
    I am on day 53 of a very heavy period with no sign of stopping. I finally got into see my OB/GYN today and she gave me a prescription for Aygestin (which I think is basically progesterone?) and I have to take it over the course of several days, multiple tablets per day then wean off of it.

So here is my question, so IF it works and my periods do stop at the end of the tablets, then what? Where am I at in my cycle? Will I start bleeding again soon? Will I ovulate?

I should of asked her but didn't even think of it at the time. I've lost a ton of blood so I hope I don't start bleeding again like a week later. I can't seem to find a lot of information on stopping periods, from what I've read it's helpful to START them.

Any input would be great.. thanks!

Thanks

Anyone? I took 4 tabs yesterday and the bleeding has so far stopped significantly! I still have spotting when I wipe. I hope it's working and not just a coincidence. On a side note, I have felt no side effects except I really went off my rocker this morning at my husband.. I yelled at him pretty bad, more than usual.. and I think it's because of the hormone..

Please stick lil' bean UmmMuddaththir's Avatar
    Thanks

hi i am wondering about this med as well. i do no that mood swings are a side affect. did u have any success on the med.?
    clomid babies 3/00 & 5/03
    MET. + PRENATALS +FEMARA + TRIG + 1st. IUI = BFP on 8/14Hidden Content
    Dx'ed w/ GD so on Insulin+prenatals

It's a Girl!! Due on April 10, 2009
    Hidden Content
    DH 24Hidden Content I 31 alhumdillah we did it!

Thanks

I was prescibed this med last Aug after I had been bleeding heavily for about 18days, but I was prescibed it once a day for 21days. At first it slowed down significantly and almost immediately and then stopped for about 2 days and then I was spotting but then all of a sudden I started bleeding even heavier than before. I ended up having to be giving methergine(sp?) to eventually make it stop. I ended up with a 41 day bleed/hemorrage. I then spotted a couple times in between but then had to be given prometrium to bring af on again about 40days from the end.

So for me it didn't work but I was given a different protocol than you were so hopefully it will work for you. I also didn't ovulate after and had to induce af for the next cycle. Luckily af only stuck around for 4 days on the next cycle.

Good luck and I really hope that it works for you.

ETA: Sorry I didn't realize that this was an older post. I hope everything worked out for you.
    Taryn (me) 35, Jim (dh) 51, Kaley(dd) 7
    BFP - 5/7/2011 with Femara 5mgs cd3-7, O'd cd16, BFP 9dpo!! EDD 1/19/2012
    Beta #1 12dpo = 68 p4 26.8 Beta #2 14dpo = 228! 1st u/s = May 26th
    Evangelene Rose arrived Monday Jan 9th 2012 at 1035pm

Hidden Content

Thanks

Hi I was on the twice. Both times my flow stopped with in a few days. The first time (in Nov) I wasnt ttc and took it 3 times a day for 3 days and then went down to 2 times a day for 18 days. After the 21 days I stopped taking the pills. Two times the flow came back very heavy again so I was told to re-do the cycle. Then finally after the 3rd time I didnt get a flow till the first week in april. I then bleed april till my appt in may. I am now ttc so this RE put me on the med again. I just finished it and I have my flow (today is day 5) and the flow is very heavy again. I am taking clomid. SO I cant tell ya about ovulating. I just hope I this flow stops naturally so I can atleast try to make a baby
    Cheryl (31) & Jonathan-DH (34)
    Hidden Content Married 3/20/10Hidden Content
    Dx Pcos 1999
    Dx Diabetic 2010
    DH-Dx low sperm count
    DH-Dx poor sperm motility

Metformin ER- 2000mg (5/17- present)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

yup, i took this med for every ttc cycle.
    for 2 weeks (before i got this bfp) i bled and bled HEAVY with BIG CLOTS. I was given aygestin to stop bleeding. I was given it for 10 days and was told that i would stop bleeding within 2 or 3 days after starting it, which i did, then when i took my last pill within 2 to 3 days i would start my period again but it would be more normal, which it was. I think my metformin helped with it too, but after i bled after taking my last pill it was a lighter period and only lasted 4 days. Aygestin worked well for me. I never had prolonged bleeding on it, nor did i ever bleed between cycles either.

Thanks

WOW I think the flow is slowing.... I think Im getting too excited
    Cheryl (31) & Jonathan-DH (34)
    Hidden Content Married 3/20/10Hidden Content
    Dx Pcos 1999
    Dx Diabetic 2010
    DH-Dx low sperm count
    DH-Dx poor sperm motility

Metformin ER- 2000mg (5/17- present)

Thanks

I don't think you will get after a month. It helps to control abnormal bleeding. If you want can find more details on this medication Norethindrone at International Drug Mart

Thanks

Hello. I just joined, and was just diagnosed with PCOS a few days ago. It seems I found what I was looking for with your post. I had an ER visit a few days ago due to hemmorghing, and had gone into shock from blood loss. I was prescribed 5 days of aygestin, but the next day my regular gyn upped my prescription to 14 days on 14 days off aygestin for two months. I was sort of confused because the bleeding has not stopped, I'm on day 4. My gyn said I would have "a hell of a withdrawl bleed". I am a little scared, because the bleeding has not stopped, only slowed a bit. I hope this works. I'm really confused and nervous.
    g r e y b u t t e r f l y
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I am sorry, its been a while since I posted here and I forgot my user name so I had to make a new one. I had a question about Norethindrone (Aygestin) 5mg. My doctor gave it to me to stop bleeding, I have been bleeding since April 2010. I read the side effects and I am really affraid to take this medication. I easily get side effects from medications and I am a heavy smoker. Has anyone taken this medication and had a serious side effect? Oh I forgot to mention tha that I was diagnosed with PCOS in 1999. I suffer from high blood pressure, male pattern hair growth, infertility, IR and weight gain. Thank you for your help.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

My dr perscribed this med for me today to START my period. From what everyone is saying its supposed to stop it. This seems kinda odd since he wants the opposite to happen, and we are ttc. Will this med inter-fear with that?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Classy View Post
    My dr perscribed this med for me today to START my period. From what everyone is saying its supposed to stop it. This seems kinda odd since he wants the opposite to happen, and we are ttc. Will this med inter-fear with that?

It will start you period but not until you finish the prescription that your doctor gave you. you will have a very heavy, crampy period. From what I understand is that is supposed to regulate you and help with ovulation.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VickeLynne View Post
    It will start you period but not until you finish the prescription that your doctor gave you. you will have a very heavy, crampy period. From what I understand is that is supposed to regulate you and help with ovulation.
    This sounds like its gonna be fun! I guess its gonna be making up for lost time.