Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Has anybody ever had Electrolysis hair removal done on their face?

1) The first session you went to, how much hair did you manage to get rid of?

2) If you went back for more sessions was it because the hair that you got rid of started to grow back, or is it because you did not get rid of all the hair in the first place?

I am 15 and i have a hormonal imbalance which causes me to have a lot of pimples and excess facial/body hair. The hair on my face is getting worse everyday and it is very noticeable. It really bring my confidence down, so i am thinking about getting electrolysis done, I do wax, but it doesn't seem to work that great for me....I think electrolysis would be the best option because it's suppose to be permanent, but i don't want to keep going back and have like 10 sessions! I rather go 1 or 2 times and thats it. I am on Yasmin birth control and it is suppose to block androgens, although I have been on it for 2 weeks now and i have not noticed an improvement. - Maybe if i wait a while and the "androgen blocker" kicks in and then i get electrolysis done the hair would never grow back once its gone...?

Thanks if you can help me!

Thanks

I am an electrolygist in Canada. I have been doing it for 16 years now. I would strongly suggest that you stop waxing and start doing electrolysis. If it is done properly you will get rid of any hair you have now permanently. Because of PCOS (which I have) you will have hairs come out and then you just get touch ups. I have also started doing Intense pulse light in my practice. It works good as well but the treatments are more costly. I started getting hair at your age so I totally understand what you are going through....back then however I did not have the help you can get now. I hope this helps

Thanks

how about laser treatment? isn't electrolysis painful?

Thanks

I have had electrolysis. I am going for my third appointment tomorrow morning as a matter of fact. I have hair that grows in excess like that of a males. It is humiliating! I have noticed a slight reduction in the area that was treated the most. I think it will take me a yr or more to treat mine. And I think I will even need to get on some type of androgen med too reduce it at the same time. I have tried the laser treatment. It was outrageously expensive and can burn the skin. But it did signifigantly reduce the hair growth. The only thing is it came back. Only permanent method of hair removal is electrolysis.

My plan is the Androgen med, Vaniqa and electrolysis. i will keep you posted little sister. Keep hope alive.

Oh and if you do try electrolysis i recommend you do thorough research on the electrologist that you go to. Be are that it is very uncomfortable. You may consider it painfull even.

Thank God for this baby! snfr02chic's Avatar
    Thanks

I had it done several years ago...unfortunately it did not work for me. The reason being is that I was in VA in college and the lady doing was in MD about 250 miles away, so I was not able to go as often as I should have. When getting it done you really shouldn't spread it out like I did. You back for multiple visits because each time it's estimated to get rid of about 20% of the hair I believe she said. It only gets rid of the hair follicles and since there are different stages to hair growth it only catches the ones in that particular stage. It was a little painful in certain areas, but it worked for the time being...I think I will get it done again when I have the time and money, I think it's a great option as long as you do it right.
    Me 30
    Survivor of domestic abuse for 11 years....I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
    And I WILL raise my boys to repsect their women, starting with me!!!
    DXD August 5th, 2005

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

I do electrolysis and there are alot of misconceptions about it. It is permanent but you must have someone doing it that has experience and is not just pulling the hair out of the follicle. You should not feel a pull after the hair is treated. But unfortunately not all hair grows in the right stage of growth either so it has to be done a few times. You should notice an improvement each time you go for a treatment. Usually it takes me 6 months to a 1 year to clear a chin area for the most part and you need to come once a week and then longer in between sessions. When I was 16 I had a full beard and today at 42 I have a few hairs....It has been mostly hair free for years and I do have PCOS...

Thanks

Laser is painful but only for a second and electrolysis is not painful on the chin but on the lip I would recommend laser.

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Flowerpot View Post
    I do electrolysis and there are alot of misconceptions about it. It is permanent but you must have someone doing it that has experience and is not just pulling the hair out of the follicle. You should not feel a pull after the hair is treated. But unfortunately not all hair grows in the right stage of growth either so it has to be done a few times. You should notice an improvement each time you go for a treatment. Usually it takes me 6 months to a 1 year to clear a chin area for the most part and you need to come once a week and then longer in between sessions. When I was 16 I had a full beard and today at 42 I have a few hairs....It has been mostly hair free for years and I do have PCOS...

I think it is so cool that you are an electrologist! Good for the people that you help. It's an awesome service to provide. Would you recommend taking Androgen medication with the electrolysis? And.. how do you feel about Vaniqa? And, (lol.. I swear I will stop harassing you after this one last question),.... How do you feel about shaving immeadiatly after the procedure? I hate to not shave but have read that it is bad to do so.

Thanks

you can get emla cream that can numb your face for when you get laser or electrolosis done. i had both procedures done

Thanks

I dont mind talking about hair removal, it is my passion and why I got into the Esthetic business. I am not sure about Androgen, since I am from Canada I have just heard about going on a low dose Birth Control. I have heard of Vaniqa although not available here. That is a hair growth slowing cream, right? That would not interfere with Electrolysis. As far as shaving after Electrolsis that is not needed due to the fact that they should have removed all of the hair during the session. After they insert the needle they and put the current through the hair should slide out. So no need for shaving. Now if you are getting laser or IPL you can shave after 24 hours and eventually the hair will fall out of the follicle and not grow back....make sure you have a free consultation and decide what is the best for you....I would really have to see you to tell you that. But I know one thing if you have alot of hair I would try laser first and finish up with Electrolysis....less painful...Good luck...

Thanks

To the OP, I've had both electrolysis and laser done. I started electrolysis as a teenager (with basically a full beard), and went for an hour once a week. And hour was not enough time to remove all the hair on my face, but she would start in the center (chin and upper lip) and radiate left or right for 30mins each side until the hour was up. I don't remember how much it cost, since those prices are out of date now (this was 1990s). I continued with electrolysis treatments for about 10 years, until I moved out of the area, and did not seek a new electrologist in my new town. By the end, I was only going about 15 minutes every 6 weeks or so to get the stragglers, and we had also succesfully denuded my "happy trail". I then went about 8 years without any type of hair removal and relied on BCPs/Vaniqa and tweezing to keep things tidy. Once the hair started to come back to the point where tweezing was not keeping up with it, and DH and I started to TTC (so no more BCPs), I decided to try laser hair removal, and had some faster results with laser hair removal. I went once every 5 or 6 weeks for 1.5 years, and have seen a 90% reduction in hair on my face. (we also worked on bikini, armpits, happy trail, and a little on my back, which responded really well, prolly 95-98% reduction in hair!).

There are good and bad things with both methods. I have light skin and dark hair, which works very well with laser treatment. Electrolysis works on all skin type and hair colors, so some of your choice may depend on skin/hair type. Eletrolysis is slower (one hair hair at a time), but tends to be cheaper per session and can also target blond hairs on light skin if you have that issue (I had very long blond hairs on my neck), so you have to be willing to commit the time to repeat treatments due to several reasons, hair may require more than one electrolysis treatment to permanently remove it, and hair grows in a pattern of growth and rest periods, so at any given time that you get treatment, some percentage of your facial hair is not actively growing. Also, the excess hair growth PCOS women see is usually due to an imbalance of hormones, and if those hormones are not brought into balance, then you will continue to have hairs turn terminal (get coarse and darK). Laser is a faster method of treatment (can treat a larger area at the same time, so you spend less time in the chair each session), but it can be expensive and also requires repeat treatments for the same reasons listed above. Electrolysis stings.... it is a small needle being inserted to the hair follicle to treat it with electrical current to kill the follicle. Laser can also be painful. I think now that I am thru the 2 years of laser treatments (btw, that was about $5k for 12 sessions, for all the areas I had worked on, full face, armpits, bikini, happy trail and upper back --- about $420/session), I am going to return to electrolysis, since the remaining hairs I have left on my face and neck are a lighter color, which doesn't work as well with laser. HTH Dianna

Thanks

I had both electrolysis and laser on my face. My face is not that great because it still grows a lot of hair on my chin, but i couldn't keep up with the sessions because it was expensive. When I was in high school, I was wearing a strapless dress for prom, so I got my upper back and chest done (It looked like a man...SO much hair!) and after $1600, it is about 98% gone. I would definitely reccommend laser. It hurts on your face, but like I said earlier you can get a topical numbing cream like Emla.

Thanks

Thankyou so much everybody for all the great answers!

Thanks

I have so much hair on my chin that it is impossible to get all of the hair removed in 1 session. We usually do 1-2 hrs. So I still shave after. I think that I need something to balance my hormones or reduce the testosterone along with the electrolysis. Going to my general practionioner tomorrow to see about some sort of drug. He's a jerk (lol), so this should be interesting. I am starting to suspect that electrolysis alone is not enough. I got this information when I looked at a website for trans gender men. I figured if they can get rid of facial hair, then so can I.

And I am african american so the pigment in my skin kind of does not work well with lazer. I had it done about 3-4 times a few years ago. It signifigantly reduced the hair and it's growth but I don't think it worked as well as it would have worked on someone with fairer skin.

Thanks

Thanks a lot. You information is very helpful. You make me feel hopeful. I am african american so the laser was not very effective for me. I had it done a few years ago. I will say that it drastically reduced the hair growth but one time they burned my skin really badly and I never went back. I am thinking about going back now.

As far as the electrolysis, I am new to it. I have been a about 4 times. She works for 1-2 hours. I have a full beard like that of a male (I shave it everyday) so I expect to be seeing my electrolysis for years to come. Can I ask you what BCP's are? I was not sure what it meant and I want to be clear on what you are sharing as you seem to have had great success.

Thanks for sharing!
    Dawn