Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Praying for a Sticky! AshleyM1985's Avatar
    Thanks

Default vegetarian / Vegan with PCOS?

I was just wondering if there were any vegetarians or Vegans on here.

Has it helped you loose weight? Bring on AF ? Get your BFP?
    Me 25 Hidden Content DH 25
    Married 10/10/09
    Dx PCOS -1999
    Dx IR / hypothyroid - 2010
    Hsg / Sa - All Clear
    MetforminER-2000Mg
    Synthroid-50Mg
    Prenatals
    Clomid Round #1(Days 3-7) April / May 2010 - Ectopic M/C
    Clomid Round #2 (Days 3-7) Sept / Oct 2010 - M/C
    Provera 1 Nov - 10 Nov... NO AF??
    POAS - BFP! HCG 29Nov - 7589

Thanks

I have been a vegetarian for 11 years, long before I was ever diagnosed with PCOS. I can't say that it has helped me lose weight for sure, but I have been the same size and weight since I was 14 years old. I'm still not a healthy size at all (I'm a size 12/14). But, I think that being a vegetarian has helped me stay smaller than some of my family members; the other women are like 22W and up. If you're thinking about becoming a vegetarian, I'd recommend trying it because heaven knows that most of us cysters will try almost anything, lol! On the other hand, vegetarianism does make it tough to stick to a low-carb diet, which is recommended for insulin resistance. Not just hard; pretty much impossible (unless someone else has a suggestion ...)

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on the BFP and have been for months so I doubt the vegetarianism has helped much with that. But, AF has always been PRETTY regular (every 32 days, unless she decides to pop in for a visit 10 days after the last one ends, which does happen a couple times a year). Sadly, the cycles are non-ovulatory. LIke with the weight question, I have no idea if any of that is related to my vegetarianism, but again, anything is worth trying! Good luck!
    Amy (27) & Christopher (29)
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Dx PCOS = August 09
    TTC = 1 year
    Medications = Femara, Provera, multiple rounds
    BFP = May 29, 2010 (total surprise!! - they said the meds made my uterine lining too thin - WHO KNEW!!!!)

Iris Kate - born February 7, 2011

Hidden Content

Thanks

When I first went vegetarian, the sheer change made me shed 25-30lbs. I was really happy about that. However, over the years the weight piled back on.

So this time I'm doing a different approach where I control anything I can: low calorie, low gi, low carb if possible! I felt like going veg helped me lose weight but I had no idea how and therefore could not control the weight when I gained it back. I decided to start eating meat again because like the poster above said it's virtually impossible to eat vegetarian and low carb. However, being a creature of habit I still rarely eat meat. I just don't like it or crave it and cooking it is an afterthought.

However, if you want to get healthy vegetarian/vegan way it's still possible. IR diet would probably be a good choice because they count beans as protein and not carbs (altho it does contain complex carbs). You could also include a lot of bean soups in your diet. It's been proven that soups fill you up for an hour longer (and half of it is water anyway so low cal.).

Also should mention that you should probably avoid tofu because it messes with your thyroid and hormones and so on. Best to stick to eggs, beans (dozens of flavors there!), dairy, whey protein and nuts/seeds (in moderation, high calories).
    Hidden Content
    On a Low Calorie diet and exercise! Hidden Content

Currently taking:
    Vitamin D, 2000 UI
    Multivitamin
    Soy Lecithin, 2400 mg
    Saw Palmetto, 500 mg
    Evening Primrose Oil, 2000 mg
    Milk Thistle, 300 mg
    Flaxseed Oil, 2000 mg

Praying for a Sticky! AshleyM1985's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the info ladies!
    Me 25 Hidden Content DH 25
    Married 10/10/09
    Dx PCOS -1999
    Dx IR / hypothyroid - 2010
    Hsg / Sa - All Clear
    MetforminER-2000Mg
    Synthroid-50Mg
    Prenatals
    Clomid Round #1(Days 3-7) April / May 2010 - Ectopic M/C
    Clomid Round #2 (Days 3-7) Sept / Oct 2010 - M/C
    Provera 1 Nov - 10 Nov... NO AF??
    POAS - BFP! HCG 29Nov - 7589

Thanks

I am a vegan and was just recently diagnosed PCOS. like, this weekend recent haha. i am excited to go back home to Canada and work with a nutritionist because right now it is seeming impossible to eat low-carb and vegan while still getting all the protein i need. i think the key is not to cut out natural carbs in things like fruit and vegetables(organic, of course) and to obtain non-soy sources of protein, since any non-organic or GMO soy will likely cause your hormones to go nuts. it's frustrating, but there is NO way i wll be eating meat. once i am able to work with a nutritionist, i can send you any meal plans and info that she passes along to me!

Thanks

I am a vegetarian - I sometimes eat tuna, salmon, cheese, and eggs, but not on a regular basis. I try and eat mostly vegetables - raw food mostly. I think that being a vegetarian makes managing PCOS more difficult.

Thanks

I've been vegan for 7 years (I'm 26) and I've suspected PCOS since high school (I was recently diagnosed officially). I've always maintained a somewhat healthy weight without much effort (I'm 5'7" and was 160 pounds at my heaviest, 140ish when I'm eating well and exercising), but I think I'm just lucky that way- it might have a little to do with being vegan, but I can't say I've always had the healthiest diet. I'm starting a gluten-free, lower-carb diet right now, and I'll see what happens. I'm trying to cut back a bit on the soy- my main sources are soy milk, tofu and soy yogurt (and more soy ice cream than I should be eating)- and incorporating more nuts and legumes into my diet. I love seitan, but I think I have a mild gluten intolerance, which is why I'm trying gluten free. I live in an area that has tons and tons of vegan and gluten-free options, so I'm lucky that way, too.

I was on birth control for 9-10 years, so I never knew if AF came without it until recently. I went off in July, and had regular periods until December, when they stopped completely. I also broke out then, and hair grew faster. So, I don't think being vegan has done anything to treat PCOS for me. I'm vegan for ethical reasons so I don't see myself stopping any time soon- I just need to figure out a way to do gluten-free, vegan, low-carb, and still be sane.
    30 yrs old.

currently taking Buckwheat Farinetta (1/2 cup per day), probiotic, omega 3, b complex, multivitamin.

mostly vegan, mostly gluten-free diet, almost-daily physical activity (running, walking, cycling).

"a table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?"- albert einstein

Thanks

I was vegan/vegetarian from 1998-2009. I lost 50 lbs, got the dx, went on Metformin, had my daughter, improved my levels, got off the Metformin and eventually regained 50 lbs.

Overall I think my health improved considerably, but it still took exercise and when I derailed from that I put the weight back on. That was the key for me. Exercise.

As for keeping blood sugar stable and all that -- I did it for a long time as a veg and even came off the Met and my endoc told me that if you didn't know I was PCOS/IR you could tell from my totally normal labs.

I'm taking a flexitarian break for now as we prep for vacation and it would make travel life a lot easier on me, but I'd like to get back to vegetarian/vegan.

HTH!
    A.

Thanks

I was doing some searching on Youtube, lots of PCOS videos there. Many of the women were successful with weight loss/maintenance on vegetarian/vegan/raw diets. I was vegetarian for several years, lost weight and conceived in 2007, though miscarried. I became pregnant again in 2009 and had a healthy baby last November. The funny thing is with the extra exercise I was getting plus less animal products in my diet, I had ZERO cysts on my ovaries. Previously between 1997 and 2005 ultrasounds would show that both ovaries were literally covered with cysts and I was labeled as 'infertile' by three doctors. I guess I proved them wrong!

I'm currently eating 3oz meat at dinnertime, though will be changing to vegan once my son weans from nursing. Whenever that will be

Thanks

I actually gained a lot of weight when I was a vegetarian because I was doing it the wrong way. I've recently been trying to go vegan though and just eat a lot of fruits and veggies and get protein through things like kale, spinach, edamame and things like that. I've also recently read Dr.Fuhrmans Eat to Live book and found that to be helpful.

Thanks

hello! I was wondering how your experience with a nutritionist has worked out and if you have any tips to share! I was diagnosed with PCOS around 10 yrs ago at 17. My weight has fluctuated from 115- 155 and now I'm looking to get back down to 120 or so. I lost weight 2 years ago - then I got married and gained it back - and I don't think my husband 100% understands why potato bread - while delicious, is really bad for me. Its hard to get him on board with eating lower cal and lower carb foods and he often is bringing it into the house, and of course like any carb addict I eat it. To further the dietary confusion I became an ovo-lacto vegetarian in January and he still eats meat. I have been trying to stay away from soy and soy products but am an active person and need the protein, and obviously need to watch my carbs. I need to make an appt with a nutritionist, but in the mean time I would like to know if you have a tips or suggestions! Thanks so much

Thanks

Hi everyone! I'm new to the board and have been a vegetarian on and off for over a decade. Last year I started eating meat and gained 35 lbs. I have been pretty miserable and feel tired and unhealthy. After reading "The Kind Diet" I've become a vegan "flirt" and eat mostly plant-based meals at home. I have lost 6 lbs. in two weeks and feel soooo soooo much better. I am never hungry and have so much energy. I wish I did this earlier. I would highly recommend reading the Kind Diet for anyone that loves animals, has weight/metabolic issues, and hormonal issues... so PCOSers are the perfect audience in many ways. It is completely FALSE that we can't stay low glycemic index AND vegan/vegetarian! Complex carbs are good for you (e.g. brown rice, oatmeal, yams, etc.) and do not spike blood sugar the same way refined carbs do (crackers, breads, white pastas, etc.) Vegetarians and vegans live longer, have less cancer, and are healthier in general. I highly highly highly recommend reading the book and cooking the recipes. Good luck all you fellow PCOSers with big hearts <3
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Jess ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Been absent from the boards for a loooong time... but I'm back Hidden Content
    Me: 27; DH 27 (low sperm morphology at 4%)
    Dx PCOS 2009; Dx Endometriosis (via laproscopy 2011)
    Rx Metformin 8/10; 1500 mg
    TTC since Sept. 2011 via tracking CF & BBT; BFP Oct. 2011; EDD July 6, 2012! Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I've been frustrated with the lack of information and discussion about PCOS and veganism. I know there are a lot of us out there! I was thinking about starting a blog or site specifically about veganism and PCOS. Does anyone have an interest in that?

I recently started a blog about my experiences trying to eat a healthier, nutrient-dense diet. If any of you are interested, it's here: http://tohealthwithyou.wordpress.com/
    30 yrs old.

currently taking Buckwheat Farinetta (1/2 cup per day), probiotic, omega 3, b complex, multivitamin.

mostly vegan, mostly gluten-free diet, almost-daily physical activity (running, walking, cycling).

"a table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?"- albert einstein

Thanks

I've been really interested in becoming a vegetarian because of animal rights issues. However, I am insulin resistant so I need to maintain a low-carb diet, and my doctor said not to consume too much soy because of the phytoestrogens. I'm also allergic to dairy. I would be eating eggs, nuts/seeds, and vegetable proteins if I were to maintain that diet. I'm going to look up some good reading material and let you know if I find anything good for PCOSers!
    Hair loss, acne, weight gain, intense food cravings, possibly IR
    Other issues: Allergies (food and environmental), hypoglycemia, anemia
    Trying to regulate AF using holistic medicine and eastern approaches.

Thanks

I am what I would call a semi-vegetarian. I only eat chicken once per week and tuna (maybe) once, as well. I live with my mother who is a meat eater so find that I can't cut it out of my diet entirely. I don't think it has helped me any as far as regulating hormones or anything. But, it is an ethical way to eat in my opinion.
    Me: 51
    Single, no children
    No dx: all hormone levels "within normal limits"
    Meds: Taking meds for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and hypothyroid
    Exercise: not exercising currently
    Major symptoms: more than normal facial/body hair, apple shape

Hidden Content Be kind to one another!