Thanks

Default Does your belly grow a bit each week or in spurts?

Hey everyone,

Sometimes... ok often haha... I look at my belly and think it really isn't changing much. I know that compared to a month ago, it has definitely grown and I'm just starting to look sort of pregnant. However if I look at a photo of myself from today vs. two weeks ago, my belly looks the same size... and feels the same size. I haven't been to the dr in 3 weeks but go this week, so we'll hear the heartbeat again which will reassure me! But I'm just curious as to how much you noticed your belly change from week to week. I was sort of hoping to see more so I'd know baby is growing away in there! BTW I am small.. 5'2" and 120 lbs or so, so I don't know how much being petite plays into it all.

Also... I feel like I must be carrying high as I have a gap above my pubic bone where I haven't grown, and the place I'm getting bigger is above that. I figured since the uterus starts by growing up it would be larger at the bottom, too... I don't know if that makes sense haha... but if you do know what I mean, does that sound normal?

I know these are kind of crazy questions! I only have one friend who has had a baby she didn't have a baby until she was 20 weeks, so I don't feel like I have too many ppl to ask! And dh just thinks I'm crazy lol.

Thanks
    Me: Heather (25); DH (26)

clomid round #3 - O late, thought cycle was a bust... surprise!!! BFP!!! 01/25/10
    U/S 6 W, 4D - saw heartbeat! 122 bpm
    U/S 12 W 6 D - everything looks great! Heard heartbeat via doppler - 156 bpm
    prenatal appt. 16 W 3 D - heard heartbeat! 160 bpm
    U/S 19 W 3 D - It's a BOY!!!!! Hidden Content

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Enjoying our family of 4! Jessieb's Avatar
    Thanks

I could barely tell up until 19 1/2 weeks, then I popped. Since then, I can see myself getting bigger on a more gradual basis. I think I'm also carrying high, but as she's growing I think she's lengthening out.
    Me(33), DH(37)
    Dx: 1995
    August 12, 2010 - Stella is here!
    March 8, 2012 - Gage is here!

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I think the belly growing is a gradual thing. I noticed a preg belly at like 18 weeks. It was really small then compared to now, but it was there!

Thanks

Mine seems to be growing in spurts as well. My 18 and 20 week pics look almost the same....just a SLIGHT difference. And I still dont even really look preg! lol.
    Me (24) DH (25)
    Tied the knot: 8-19-07
    TTCd for 19months
    Surprise BFP 12/30/2009!!!
    DS born 9-14-2010 via emergency c-section at 41w3d

Hidden Content

Lindsay71105 @ TheBrokenOvary

Thanks

I'm pretty early yet, and fluffy, so it's hard to tell if my belly is getting bigger just by looking. I started measuring my waist every week or so, and some weeks I see a 1/2" difference, some weeks no difference. All in all, it's grown about 2 inches. I had a dress that I wore on Valentine's day (~6 weeks) that I wore again over Easter weekend (~13 weeks) and even though the material was stretchy, I could certainly tell a difference. I think it will be a while before anyone else notices, though.

Thanks

Mine seems to grow in spurts. I will be sore and achy and then it seems like I pop out. It also really depends on where the boys sit. If they are up higher, I look a lot bigger. Congrats...
    Becky (35) Michael (44)
    Happily Married since 9-24-05
    TTC #1 since 6-04.
    DX PCOS in 1999
    3rd IVF
    Hospital bedrest at 27w4d
    Boys born at 35w2d due to growth discordance. Baby b's cord was severely twisted.

Hidden Content ">
    Hidden Content

Registered User Cautiously Optimistic's Avatar
    Thanks

I seem to grow overnight. But that is probably b/c I'm carrying triplets. I only started taking pictures at 12 weeks, so we'll see next Friday how the pictures compare!
    Meg- 25 Mark- 29
    Happily married 3 years, together 6!
    TTC since Aug 09
    Dx PCOS May 08
    Gonal-F- 1/25-2/2
    BFP 2/18!
    DDx2- 8/28/10 @31w1d
    DS- 8/28/10 @31w1d

Hidden Content

I Hidden Content my 3 furbabies!

Psalm 37:4 Delight in the Lord, and He will give you
    the desires of your heart.
    [/CENTER]

Thanks

I grew gradually earlier on, but in the third trimester I've been growing in spurts. For example, over the past few days I can FEEL him growing. My skin feels so tight and stretched, and I've actually noticed that some of my stretch marks got a lot longer just over the past couple of days. This has been happening for a while now - I have periods of a day or two when I feel really full/tight in my belly. Then it calms down and I feel more comfortable for the rest of the week until a new spurt starts up again. I guess it makes sense since the baby's supposedly gaining 1/2 a pound a week now.

Thanks

It took me awhile to show too and I'm (or was) carrying really high. I'm not sure how much your height and build has to do with it, but I'm sure it has something.
    I was well into my 2nd tri...almost 3rd...before I really started to show. And by showing I mean the guys at work weren't afraid to ask when I was due because I had an obvious belly and didn't look like I was just putting on weight.

And I'd have to say I think it grows in spurts. I've only recently starting measuring and it seems to stay the same for awhile then I wake up one morning and have another inch! It's really shocking!

Good luck! And you're not crazy at all! I've wondered the same things! lol!
    me(Colleen): 35
    dh: 37
    ttc since 3/08...RE since 10/08
    9/13 BFP
    12/11 - It's a girl!5/27 3:50pm - our baby arrived! 8lb5oz 21.5in long!

Thanks

All I know is that my belly is getting bigger. I didn't start taking belly pics until I was 20+ weeks b/c I couldn't tell a difference in my belly.

One thing though - I did initially notice that my belly was getting bigger up higher - I think it was my organs and such (fat) moving out of the way for the baby to grow. It's really definitely filling out all over now.
    Emily & DH
    Est. 5/10/03
    Cowboy & Titan Hidden Content

Began TTC - 1/1/06
    HSG - 1/20/09
    Lap - 3/25/09
    5/26/09 - Clomid 100mg, Ovidrel & IUI - BFP - M/C
    9/5 - Clomid 100mg, Ovidrel, IUI
    9/24 - P4- 32
    10/1 - hCG 214 - P4 49.1
    10/8 - hCG 2917 - P4 51.5
    10/14 - hCG 13,700 - P4 38.7
    5/14/10 - DS 7lbs 7oz 19in long - 35w6d

Hidden Content - blog

Hidden Content

Thanks

I think I've been pretty steady although in the past 2-3 weeks or so I feel I've gotten bigger faster. I haven't been doing regular pictures but at all my midwife appointments they have been doing the fundal height measurement and I've always measured the exact same as how many weeks I am - so basically growing 4cm every 4 weeks although last week at my 28wk appt I was 29cm.

Heather - I was also about the same size as you 5'3 and 117 at the bfp. I also feel like I'm carrying a little high and many people were commenting on how I was carrying (which was very annoying) but I have a short torso area compared to my legs and well being kind of short and wide waisted to begin with - how else am I supposed to carry I would tell them!
    Ccycling
    Me(33) DH (35) Married 10/07 TTC since 6/07
    10/09 Gonal F, IUI = BFP!! Developed OHSS
    DS born 6/30/10

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Super Moderator Pnksunflrws4ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

With all my photos i've been taking monthly, they all looked about the same except for my boobs growing... then when I took my end of the month photo for March (23 weeks) BAM I had a belly. It now has been gradually growing and I'm starting to have people just comment now about my little bump.

I'm 5'9" and was 110lbs pre-pregnancy, short torso and this baby is so LOW! she likes to sleep and play on my cervix.