Thanks

Default huge clots during miscarriage...still clots 3 days after? Advice?

Hi ladies...I wish I could say I was done with the miscarriage, but I guess not.

I had the labor cramping, huge blood clots and the passing of the gestational sac Saturday evening. I thought that with all that came out, everything was done. I bled pretty heavily Saturday night, Sunday, but it had slowed way down by Monday. Monday afternoon I called the doctor's office and cancelled the appt I had for Wed afternoon as it takes 40 minutes to get there and I thought I was doing well. The nurse said that was fine and to call if I had any problems. Monday night I helped my husband outside a little and got some really bad cramping again and the bleeding started heavily again. This morning the bleeding is terrible and I passed a blood clot about the size of a lemon.

My questions:
    How big are the clots supposed to be? The ones I passed Saturday night were almost as big as my entire hand. They looked like a liver. The gestational sac was pretty small and whiteish...you could definitely tell it apart from the clots. The clot I passed this morning was lemon sized.

How long does the heavy bleeding last?

I may have to reschedule that appt...I feel like an idiot now for cancelling it.

Thanks ladies.
    Me (35)
    DH (43)
    DS (5)
    DD (3)
    m/c 05/01/10
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 487 Posts

Sorry to hear you miscarried.

Probably not what you want to hear, but after my 3rd/last miscarriage, I bled for 3 months. I was pregnant with twins, one stopped developing earlier than the other... the other one, we saw a heart beat at 8ish weeks, but a few days later I had bleeding and went in for a scan and the heart had stopped. I took cytotec to induce it - I used cytotec with my first m/c and it took 2 doses but it did work, I bled, I passed a sac, maybe the bleeding lasted 10 days or so... longer than a period, but not as gruesome as I feared... the doc even gave me vicodin for the pain which i didn't need, for pain... but took anyway, because I like vidocin.

Anyway with my 3rd - I went in for a scan a few days later after taking the cytotec and they said the POC was gone - but I never saw anything come out - I really didn't think it had come out... I bled off and on for months... betas dropped really freaking slow... around the 3rd month mark I was driving and felt what felt like an ice pick in my cervix - we were going to ride a tour boat - we got to the boats, I got out of the car, I felt a gush, I RAN for the bathroom... and a cloth the size of a baseball came out. Huge, hard, rubbery. After that, things finally started to slow down.

I think whatever was in there to begin with collapsed, but didn't pass, so it wasn't seen on ultrasound...

It was gruesome. it went on forever.

A D&C would have sped things up a lot but the thought of a D&C scares me, if there is scarring, it can make it hard to get pregnant again... I don't know if that is a concern for you, if you are going to want to try again - if that's not a concern the D&C can really speed things up but even though i went all that time without passing everything, I didn't get an infection or anything... So I don't know that you NEED it... the odds of something going wrong are small, though... I think it's all about how long you can put up with the crazy bleeding.
    "Laugh about it, shout about it, when you've got to choose -
    Every way you look at it, you lose."
    - Simon & Garfunkel

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sorry about ur miscarriage.
    When I had my miscarriage in August of 2009 I passed tissue and clots for like a week. After that week it was more like a period with smaller dime size clots and that lasted a few days then it was pretty light. My dr had told me it was normal to pass clots and tissue for a good week or so as long as ur not filling more than a pad an hour. then u should go to the hospital or drs because then ur losing too much blood. If they dont get smaller and start to slow down I'd call the dr just to kinda make sure everythings ok.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Finally the bleeding has slowed again. Hopefully for the last time. The bleeding is becoming lighter red so I think maybe I'm done with the clots...or I hope so.

We don't think we are going to have any more children, although being pregnant with this suprise pregnancy has brought back all the "I'm not done having kids" feeling. I'm trying to resist it because my husband doesn't want to risk having a child with a disability. We came really close with DD. I had such high bp, pre-e, and IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction.) It's a miracle everything was okay. We didn't know how bad things were at the time until after she was born and so small...that was probably for the best. I just would have worried even more. My IUGR was undiagnosed. I was just seeing a regular OB and he thought he had things under control.

It just kind of scared me yesterday for it all to start back up again. Maybe it was because I had that one last clot/tissue to pass. My cervix feels just a little higher today and not quite so open, so that's good. I hear you about the big gush feeling! I was here at work when I passed the clot yesterday. I had just come out of the restroom and school had not started yet. I turned right around and went back in...if anyone saw me they probably thought I had some kind of bowel issue. I guess we have to laugh at these things to keep our sanity, right?

It's really nice to find support here. Until you've had a miscarriage, you've really got no idea what it is like. I thought I did before the miscarriage, but I didn't. It would be hard to talk to some of my friends about it as they haven't gone through it. No one knows about the pregnancy or the miscarriage except my DH, Mom, and Dad (and you ladies on here.) It really has been a good thing so I don't have to go around explaining everything.

Thanks again ladies.
    Me (35)
    DH (43)
    DS (5)
    DD (3)
    m/c 05/01/10
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Hugs to you, Jann. Hopefully the physical part is mostly behind you now. I'm thinking of you.
    Me (Nisha): 33, Hubby: 35
    Dx Oct 09, O'ing regularly since Nov 09, 30+ lbs lost
    MMC Apr '10 (My Kiwi), BFP July 2010 and blessed again August 20120!
    Acupuncture, TCM herbs and Metformin got me O'ing regularly, losing weight, and pregnant!

Thanks

I'am so sorry. How far where you on the pregnancy??
    4 miscarriages 6/2007**02/2009**08/2009 and 05/2010
    06/09/11 Natural BFP (beta 2292)
    06/13/11 YS+GS but no HB (beta 7797)
    06/17/11 saw bb and hb 82bpm low @ 6weeks????

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

So sorry to hear about your loss. I, too, was very confused about the clotting because even after passing the gs it seemed like I was having some large clotting. I realized, though, that the flow had changed (no gushing) and of course no more labour pains/low back pains. But I was really confused. Anyway, if I can recall now, I believe I bled for around 3 weeks, then seemed to have 2 weeks off and then it started again. I thought it was starting back up for a new cycle, but my RE said it was still part of the m/c. Best of luck and stay strong!