Registered User pinkfloweredfriend's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Small pelvic bones, tight pelvic muscles and c-section dilema

I had my 38 week dr. appointment today and my dr. said that my pelvic muscles are so strong and tight and that my pelvic bones are so small and tight together, that I might start thinking about the possibility of a c-section. She said I would definitely have to get one if the baby wasn't so low. I am just wondering if anyone out there had this same problem. I don't really want to be in labor for hours and hours just to end up having a c-section in the end. Have any of you just done an elective cesarean for the same reason?

Thanks

My Dr. recently told me something similar, but this is my second baby after having stalled labor and unplanned C-section. I asked why no one told me this during my first pregnancy . He said that he, as well as the other Dr's in his practice have looked at many studies that say that a women's body type and if she has small pelvic bones often doesn't determine if she will or will not be able to have a successful labor- that these woman should try for a vaginal birth with there first. If the first isn't successful, it is more unlikely that subsequent births also won't be. During my whole pregnancy no one said anything about my bones being to tight/ frame being to small until about a hour before my C-section and about 16 hrs into labor when the ob said "I don't like the fit here" He said he almost always recommends a woman try to go for vaginal birth for the first baby. Even though I had to have a C-section, I am glad that I experienced labor and tried to have a vaginal birth. Even though I didn't get to push my baby out, I do feel like I accomplished something be being in labor. My Dr only told me this time about my body type because I was trying to weight the benifits/ risks of VBAC vs Elective C section.

The fact the baby is so low may be a good sign that your body is getting ready.
    Susan 33, DH Matt 33

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloweredfriend View Post
    I had my 38 week dr. appointment today and my dr. said that my pelvic muscles are so strong and tight and that my pelvic bones are so small and tight together, that I might start thinking about the possibility of a c-section. She said I would definitely have to get one if the baby wasn't so low. I am just wondering if anyone out there had this same problem. I don't really want to be in labor for hours and hours just to end up having a c-section in the end. Have any of you just done an elective cesarean for the same reason?
    Unless you've had rickets or some other pelvic degenerative disease, or in fact had some kind of issue at any other point in your life, there is no way for them to be sure. They can estimate, but their estimates can have a very very large margin of error. I wouldn't have an elective c-section based on this especially with a first baby. There isn't any way of knowing for sure until your in labor, fully dilated. And as far as your muscles go, toned muscles actually respond better to labor than loose, non toned.
    I personally don't like the 'setup' language your Dr is using, and if you do progress to labor, make sure that she doesn't have some 'magic' number already set that if you haven't delivered by, she's going to call c-section. There are things that you can control to help avoid a c-section, like trying to delay an epidural, or forgoing one altogether, staying mobile as much as possible during labor, helps things progress rather nicely.
    It was used on me with my first, and it was completely off base. I supposedly was having a 10lb baby, and my pelvis wouldn't be able to accommodate her, when in fact, she was only 7'11" and I pushed maybe 30 minutes.
    I agree w/ Suzi, the fact that the baby is already engaging in the pelvis is an excellent sign. I personally have to have a scheduled c-section, and even though I know because having had one before, they aren't horrible, IF I could choose a vaginal birth I would, because statistically, that's what's best for the baby's outcome.
    Sam (32)
    Loving & Living Life w/ Mark (33)Hidden Content
    5 Beautiful Children
    Darcy(dd), 11 going on 21Hidden Content
    Brennen(ds),8
    Connor(ds), 7
    Brandon(ds), 6
    Lawrence JacksonHidden Content July 15, 2010
    Hidden Content

Sticky Baby Smith!!! <3 Asherlexie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I personally didn't have this issue. But It hink as long as you lets you try vaginally first then the csection only if necc is okay. But, I really hope she doesn't just push for direct c section. I've heard of dr's saying things similar and the woman have them vaginaly. I wish you the best!
    Austin (26) & Kimberly (24) Smith

Matilea Kay 2/8/2010 7lb 13oz, 21 inches

Things happen for a reason. Going to be a mommy to Irish twins in 2010.