Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Ovarian Wedge Resection

I was wondering if anyone else here has had this done. It is a VERY old school way to treat PCOS but my doctor is recommending it to reduce my ovary size as well as cut my hormone production. It seems so extreme but I am afraid my only other option in a couple years will be to have my ovaries removed completely.

If you have had this done please let me know.

Thanks

Hi JoLo,

I am also looking into having this done. Back when I started ttc my ds I was told that it was a good option for me but it sounded scary and I decided to try the least invasive method and it worked. This time, Clomid and Femara + IUI has not worked and I am older (36) so my doctor thinks that it's time for the surgery. I am looking at working with Dr. Hilgers at the Pope Paul VI Reproductive Institute in Omaha, Nebraska, even though I am in Seattle. His method and experience is supposed to be the best for minimizing adhesions and has a higher pregnancy success rate then IVF. You might already know all this but I think it's a very effective treatment for PCOS. I'm just starting to work with a doctor who trained with him and they've told me that he schedules appointments 4-6 months out.

Many people confuse this with Ovarian Drilling but they are not the same. They do not have the same success rates.

Do you have a physician who can perform the surgery? When would you be looking at doing it?

Good luck and let me know what you decide!
    brightflower 36
    DH Ryan 36 Hidden Content
    DS Noah 7 Hidden Content Clomid baby
    m/c 05/07 at 7w3d
    07/07 laparoscopy
    currently ttc #2
    IUI #1 Clomid 50 mg/HCG triggerO P4>60: BFN
    IUI #2 Clomid 50 mg/HCG trigger/O: BFN
    IUI #3 Femara 2.5 mg/HCG trigger/O/HCG booster shots: BFN
    IUI #4: same as above
    dx PCOS 1996

currently working up to 1000 mg Metformin
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Yes, I am working with an amazing Endo. He has seen only one case similar to mine in his 30+ years. I am not TTC and have no plans to in the near future. I am looking at the surgery to help manage the pain because of the extreme size of my ovaries. We have been trying different methods to bring the size down, but nothing is working (which didn't surprise him). He said we could try drilling but he doubts it would be a long term solution to the problem. I am looking for something so that my insides don't feel so crowded all the time...haha.

I go in tomorrow for my consult and see when we can schedule the surgery. I think it's going to be a good option for me, I am just terrified of going under the knife for any reason.

Thanks

Hi JoLo may I ask just how large are your ovaries? My right one is generally 3x the normal size & my left is 2x above normal. My right ovary causes nearly nonstop pain. I'm new to all this & have no idea what ovarian wedge resection is but thanks to you I'm gonna look into it! Good luck!

Thanks

Um, I think my doctor said my right is like almost 8x the size of a normal ovary and my left is smaller than the right but not by much. Interestingly when I get sharp pains it's ALWAYS on the left one. But my abdomen feels crowded...and it leads to a dull ache almost all the time.

A wedge resection is where they take out 1/3 or so of the actual ovary and then join the two sides to create a smaller ovary. Think of it as kinda having a pizza and taking out 3 slices then rearranging the rest of the pizza to look whole again. It's going to be much smaller. It has a high success rate for people ttc but like I said, I just need something to reduce their size and the BCP aren't doing. It will also help regulate hormone levels and allow me to ovulate like my body is supposed to.

Thanks

Good luck to you & thank you for explaining! Your ovaries are much bigger than mine I couldn't even imagine! I'll be interested to hear how it goes. Please do update me.

Thanks

Went to the endo today and set up a surgery date, June 24th. My doctor doesn't seem to think this will stop my cysts from ever coming back but cutting down the size with the resection and a cystectomy should help with the pain and many of my other symptoms.

Thanks

I had this done about 6 weeks ago. I was actually having a diagnostic lap and he decided to do the wedge because my ovaries were the size of fists and full of cysts. The surgery isn't bad at all. However, I still have the right sided pain I had before I went in there and I had a new 4.3cm cyst on my right ovary two weeks ago that I "think" dissolved with my period. I haven't had an ultrasound to confirm, but I don't feel it anymore. I'm just now TTC so I hope the wedge works even if it didn't totally cure my pain Good luck!

Thanks

It's only been a week since surgery. I was only scheduled for 100 minutes but he (my doctor) took 4 hours. I don't notice anything yet, but it's only been a week so I don't really expect to. I will let you know more as it develops on.

Thanks

Hi JoLo how are feeling now? I hope those 4 hours of surgery were all you needed & that you will be much much better now!
    "There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will."-Epictetus

Thanks

Ladies,
    Were your surgeries done by laparoscopy? I haven't seen anything about how they are actually performed.
    Thanks!
    brightflower 36
    DH Ryan 36 Hidden Content
    DS Noah 7 Hidden Content Clomid baby
    m/c 05/07 at 7w3d
    07/07 laparoscopy
    currently ttc #2
    IUI #1 Clomid 50 mg/HCG triggerO P4>60: BFN
    IUI #2 Clomid 50 mg/HCG trigger/O: BFN
    IUI #3 Femara 2.5 mg/HCG trigger/O/HCG booster shots: BFN
    IUI #4: same as above
    dx PCOS 1996

currently working up to 1000 mg Metformin
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Hi everyone! I have PCOS and have just discovered the Fertility Care people and a new doctor is starting inVirginia close to where I live. I was wondering if anyone who has had the surgery has had any success and what you think about getting the surgery done? My regular endocrinologist and my gynecologist were very much against the surgery! I just don't know if going back for conventional treatments is going to do anything! Can anyone provide me with any help?
    Married since 2005
    April 2010 - June 2011 - Metformin, 2000 mg/day and Femara 2.5 mg on days 5-9
    BFP!!! October 26, 2010
    Missed miscarriage Nov. 30, 2010
    Lost the pregnancy Dec. 18, 2010
    July 2011 - September 2011 - Metformin, 2000 mg/day and Femara 5 mg on days 5-9
    October 2011 - New RE. Reduce Met to 1500 mg, Femara 5 mg. IUI on day 17 with a Novarel trigger shot on day 15.

Thanks

I am using the Creighton Model as well! I have not had the wedge resection, though both ob/gyn's I have worked with have suggested that it might be needed in the future. I think typical ob/gyn's who do not do NFP are very hesitant about doing surgeries like this because they don't know a lot about natural family planning and would much rather regulate it by drugs. I have heard really good success stories from it, and while the recovery time is long (6-8 weeks) it might be worth it!

Thanks

I had this surgery in August 2011. Went out to Nebraska, and had it done by Dr. Keefe (part of Dr. Hilgers team). She used the DaVinci robot, leaving me with tiny scars. And I began cycling immediately, after not cycling for well over a decade. I got married this June, and got pregnant on the next cycle, without even needing Clomid. It's been unbelievable.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 1,278 Posts

It's a pretty radical surgery, I think ovarian drilling is more likely to be recommended these days if surgery is needed.
    Emily (36) & DH Kevin (37), married 10/24/10
    9/22/12 ECTOPIC pregnancy
    10/17 Clomid cycle, no response
    12/1 Higher dose clomid cycle - O, BFN
    1/3 Follistim cycle - OHSS, Chemical pregnancy
    2/11 Follistim cycle 2, lower dose - BFP 3/4! EDD 11/13/13
    3/6 beta 197, p4 33.6! 3/11 beta 1593!
    It's a BOY! Samuel Jacob born 11/2/13 at 38w3d
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content