Thanks

Default Normal TSH and Hypothyroid Symptoms?

Anyone else out there with a TSH level of around the 1.9 range but have hypothyroid symptoms?

I have a strong family history of hypothyroidism (mother, sister [Hashi's], grandmother, aunt, cousins) and have been experiencing what I feel are hypothyroid symptoms:

-low blood pressue (88/50 at times)
    -cold intolerance (raynaud's)
    -dry hair
    -dry eyes
    -lethargy/weakness
    -weird muscle pains
    -depression/anxiety

My doctor is being very thorough (which is good) and is trying to rule out other issues, but I can't help but think this could be thyroid-related. He mentioned that sometimes thyroid issues begin without showing up in the blood work right away.

Full thyroid panel (including antibodies) came back normal. Autoimmune bloodwork: normal. Blood sugar: normal. Everything normal (except PCOS hormone related stuff), but yet I feel far from "normal". Anyone out there who was treated for hypothyroidism with a similar TSH of 1.9?
    -----------------------
    Weight:
    125 Height: 5'4
    Diagnosis:

• PCOS
    • Hypothyroid
    • Positive ANA Antibodies

Medication/Supplements: Armour Thyroid, Fish Oil

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I've felt the symptoms of hypothyroid for at least 2 years now. I've had 2 normal TSH tests in the last year and a half. I just got diagnosed within the last week! I think that it just took some time for my bloodwork to show what my body has been feeling. I also beleive that the range for normal TSH is too wide! Good luck with figuring out what's wrong!
    Amber (28)and DH (34)
    PCOS, Hypothyroidism, Vit D Deficiency, and Homo MTHFR
    DD born 12/07/12 after 4 years and 4 months TTC - Femara miracle!
    BFP 12/08/14! Baby #2 due 08/20/15!

Hidden Content
    "The only thing that ever made sense in my life, is the sound of my little girl laughing... makes me happy just to be alive." ~ Everclear

Thanks

I feel like I have thyroid aswell.I have had all the test and it said its normal.I wonder if these would work good for us?

http://www.iherb.com/Enzymatic-Thera...ules/7123?at=1 look at the reviews

http://www.enzymatictherapy.com/Prod...Advantage.aspx

Really the stuff in them looks safe I am going to ask my dr about these.Never know might be something helpful.
    “As we drive along this road called life, occasionally a gal will find herself a little lost. And when that happens, I guess she has to let go of the coulda, shoulda, woulda, buckle up and just keep going.” ~ Carrie Bradshaw

Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks, AmberRN86. Yes, your situation, is what my doctor was referring to! If you don't mind, what was your TSH before the diagnosis, and what was it 2 years later now that you became diagnosed with hypothyroidism? What were your symptoms? Are you taking Synthroid? Any noticeable difference or side effects? Sorry for all the questions...but I believe I am experiencing what you went through....

Thanks for the encouragement and reply! Hopefully, you'll feel better soon, too!
    -----------------------
    Weight:
    Diagnosis:

• PCOS
    • Hypothyroid

Thanks
    Blog Entries

In April 2009, I had a TSH come back at around 2.3. It was about the same in July 2009. Now my TSH is 7.16 (but that was taken in the afternoon and I've read that it would have been higher if I had tested early morning). I was symptomatic for about 2 years now... trouble concentrating, memory fog, cold feet, dry brittle hair, hair loss on my head, dry skin, heavy menstural flow and bad cramps, and weight gain. I also have periods of extreme lethargy (I can sleep for 15 hours straight) followed by bouts of insomnia where I can't sleep at all or wake up every hour. I am also trying to get pregnant with fertility treatments and have extremely low progesterone levels. My primary doctor is the one that ordered the most recent test and he refered me to an endocrinologist. I tried to get my fertility doctor to treat it, but he said he wants me to get an endocrinologist also. I have an appointment with the endocrinologist on Thursday so I will let you know what happens. I haven't started on any meds yet.
    Amber (28)and DH (34)

Hidden Content
    "The only thing that ever made sense in my life, is the sound of my little girl laughing... makes me happy just to be alive." ~ Everclear

Thanks

This is exactly what I am experiencing right now. I have had thinning hair, fatigue (!!), dry skin, cold intolerance, no periods (as always), a goiter, random aches and pains, and just overall not feeling well. Some of this I have felt for years. And some of this I figured may be part of getting older (35yrs old) or being a newer mom. But the thinning hair and true fatigue is what has really bothered me more recently.
    I have had my TSH tested a number of times over the years , ordered by many different drs and it's always returned within normal range. Recently I had lab work to test for thyroid antibodies and it came back very elevated (over 1000, when normal range is under 35). So I was diagnosed w Hashimoto's this week. But my confusion is the normal TSH while having significant symptoms of hypothyroidism. My endo says we test the TSH every 6 months and wait until the thyroid function declines into hypothyroidism and THEN we treat.
    In the meantime I am dealing w symptoms w no relief. I'm bummed!
    Last edited by edawn; 07-10-2010 at 02:55 AM.
    me and dh- 36ys
    ttc-4+years (clomid,IUIs,IVF)
    june 2007-1st IVF-BFP!
    our baby boy was born Feb.16,2008

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I've read that taking a supplement called Selenium can help with Hasimoto's. What exactly was your TSH??? Some endocrinologists will treat a TSH over 3 even though the lab will tell you it's normal up til almost 5. Did you have your T4 and T3 tested also?

Anyway, I was started on 50 mcg of Synthroid and I am feeling slightly better already! I also started taking 200mg of Selenium.
    Amber (28)and DH (34)

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edawn View Post
    This is exactly what I am experiencing right now. I have had thinning hair, fatigue (!!), dry skin, cold intolerance, no periods (as always), a goiter, random aches and pains, and just overall not feeling well. Some of this I have felt for years. And some of this I figured may be part of getting older (35yrs old) or being a newer mom. But the thinning hair and true fatigue is what has really bothered me more recently.
    I have had my TSH tested a number of times over the years , ordered by many different drs and it's always returned within normal range. Recently I had lab work to test for thyroid antibodies and it came back very elevated (over 1000, when normal range is under 35). So I was diagnosed w Hashimoto's this week. But my confusion is the normal TSH while having significant symptoms of hypothyroidism. My endo says we test the TSH every 6 months and wait until the thyroid function declines into hypothyroidism and THEN we treat.
    In the meantime I am dealing w symptoms w no relief. I'm bummed!
    I'm not a doctor, but I have read that Hashi's can make your TSH levels unreliable. Check out this article: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/hashimotos/ . I feel your pain. I have 80% of the hypo symptoms and every woman in my family is "hypo". Yet, all my blood-work comes back normal.
    -----------------------
    Weight:
    Diagnosis:

• PCOS
    • Hypothyroid