Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question What are your go to foods while taking Metformin

What meals do you eat with Metformin that you know won't make you feel sick or send you running to the bathroom? I have tried Metformin 3 times now and once I get the the 2x a day I feel soo sick that I end up stopping. I think if I can get a menu with foods that won't make me feel worse I will have a better chance lasting thru the *sick phase*. I appreciate any and all advice and ideas.
    Missjaxon

Thanks

What a great idea! I was hoping to find a thread like this..or a list of food/meals/snacks floating around.. I look forward to seeing who replies with what. I just started Met myself but so far I haven't found anything that makes me feel less ill.
    Hidden Content Dating my better half since June 2012
    Metformin ER 500MG, 1X a day
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I don't have any 'go to' foods, but I can tell you what has made me not feel so hot. My husband made homemade pizza last week, and that did not go so well. Could have been worse (the first two nights on met were awful!), but still not fun. But I had a homemade hamburger made with lean meat tonight, and I had no problems, so I think the prob is the meat, or how lean or fatty it is. A lot of ladies have said lettuce is not so good, either. Just try to increase your intake of whole grains and limit your intake of sugars and fats and that should help.

Basically, I try to take mine with dinner and a lot of water. But if I can't, I take it with a whole wheat bagel and cream cheese.

Good luck! I hope you can find something that works for you!
    Kerri 30 Hidden Content Luke 29
    Married 12/30/2005

TTC #1 June 2009 Hidden Content DX June 2010

Neevo DHA Pre Natals
    1500mg Metformin
    100mg B Complex
    3600mg Omega 3
    2000mg PGX Daily
    400IU D3

Thanks

i'm no longer having many tummy troubles, luckily, so i pretty much eat anything now. but the first couple weeks i stuck to a lot of the following: yogurt (the light dannon kind), milk, fiber one cereal (plain), peanut butter (no sugar added), berries, bananas, grilled chicken and fish, cooked veggies, milk, orange juice, whole wheat bread, kashi go lean crisp cereal, cottage cheese. at first i was so nauseated that the though of food made me gag, so i had to literally choke down food so i could take the medicine. i take the ER, which people say is easier. just stick with it, and things will get better. oh, also, i take a ginger capsule with every met. i heard it helps with nausea, so that's what i do. not sure if i even need it, i'm too afraid to take the met without one now! haha. sparkling water with lemon helps too, and lots of pepto. just try to eat lots of fiber and take the met with protein. good luck!
    Aubrey (29) + DH (29)

Started TTC Jan 09
    4 cycles clomid, Sept - Jan, IUI with last, all BFN
    Gonal-F + IUI, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, all BFN
    Forced break b/c of cyst

Started Met 1000mg ER
    Gonal-F, July 10, b2b IUIs
    July 27 BFP!!!!!!!!!!!

TRIPLETS...and two are identical!! 3 perfect little heartbeats!! Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I just started met but have read over and over that yogurt is a lifesaver. I will be trying this for sure and I'll update later.

Thanks

Itsababybaby: I totally agree with the yogurt! It's been my gastrointestinal savior over the past several weeks.

Also, Jinnax, I found that you have to throw your intuition out the window when dealing with the Metformin tummy effects. For example, before Met, I would eat some kind of starch to try to soothe the upset stomach (kind of "stop it up," if you know what I mean). That's not going to work for you anymore. You're going to have to try to eat food with MORE fiber, not less ... I have been eating raw veggies with dip. Fruit can make it worse, and especially juice. Protein seems to help, specifically for breakfast. I generally eat a turkey sandwich when I wake up. It's weird, but it works.

The key is to ALWAYS put a fat or protein with your carbs. That will mellow things out a little bit. Ex: peanut butter with your toast, or some eggs with your morning oatmeal.

Other items that have helped me: Atkins snack bars (just the right balance of proteins, fiber, and carbs), Glucerna cereal for diabetics (a little expensive, but I'd buy anything to stop poo-ing), lentils, popcorn, pickles ... medium-grade hot sauce also helped me, but I might have a weird stomach.

Good luck, and buy stock in Pepto! It just takes a couple weeks to subside.
    Dx PCOS Aug. 2009
    Recovering from bulimia after 13 years of illness! I chose to live!

Metformin 2000 mg / BeYaz / Wellbutrin XL 450 mg / Tricor 145 mg / Synthroid 25 mcg

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. - Hellen Keller

Hidden Content

Thanks

Peppermint tea really works ... and eggs are bad LOL

Thanks

It helped me to increase the dosage with half pills. Try taking 1 1/2 pills for several days before bumping up to 2 pills. It also helped me to take with protein.
    Lisa (36) Hidden Content Robert (36)
    Married since 3.11.95
    1st ever BFP 3.7.08 (Met only)
    Tabitha Leighton arrived 11.7.08, 7 lbs 1 oz, 19 in
    And our lives are forever changed...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LisaDiane View Post
    It helped me to increase the dosage with half pills. Try taking 1 1/2 pills for several days before bumping up to 2 pills. It also helped me to take with protein.
    Read the insert that comes with your prescription first. Mine says DO NOT break, crush, or chew. Must be swallowed whole.

Thanks

try taking the ER metformin at bed time. I have been doing this for 3 months no, no stomach issues no worries about having to run to the restroom its been perfect.
    Holly & Brian Hidden Content
    DSD (11) DSS (9) DS (6) (concieved using met only after 2 years of trying)
    Ectopic tube removal 10/21/2011
    BFP 12/9/12 EDD 8/20/13
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Hmmm... I'm on the regular Met and my doc is having me cut it in half to increase in 250 mg increments. So far, I'm fine. I tried it once before and every time I got to the 1500 mg I couldn't handle the s/e. We'll see how this try goes!
    brightflower 36
    DH Ryan 36 Hidden Content
    DS Noah 7 Hidden Content Clomid baby
    m/c 05/07 at 7w3d
    07/07 laparoscopy
    currently ttc #2
    IUI #1 Clomid 50 mg/HCG triggerO P4>60: BFN
    IUI #2 Clomid 50 mg/HCG trigger/O: BFN
    IUI #3 Femara 2.5 mg/HCG trigger/O/HCG booster shots: BFN
    IUI #4: same as above
    dx PCOS 1996

currently working up to 1000 mg Metformin
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Metformin made me really sick at first- Pizza, french fries, cheeseburgers (or anything fried really) and ice cream (or anything really sugary) and eggs were the things that made me run to the bathroom. I got so sick that I stopped taking it for a couple of weeks but it did get my cycles to go from 50+ days back down to 30 so I knew it was helping in that way. So, when I got ready to start taking it again I started with 1 pill for a week then 1 1/2 pills for a week then 2 for about 5 days then 2 1/2 for about 5 days then up to three (I take 1500mg). I don't care if it says not to crush them or break them ( I think that is probably more for diabetics anyway) I'm pretty convinced that this is what helped me not to get sick any more and I took them after eating supper and with milk for a while. Now I just take them with supper and they don't really make me sick anymore- even though I have trouble eating eggs to this day. But everything else is fine even though I really shouldn't be eating that stuff anyway- Good luck to ya!

Thanks

Read the insert that comes with your prescription first. Mine says DO NOT break, crush, or chew. Must be swallowed whole.
    That's only for ER (extended release). I assumed that the OP was referring to regular met, since most people have more trouble with it.
    Lisa (36) Hidden Content Robert (36)
    Married since 3.11.95
    1st ever BFP 3.7.08 (Met only)
    Tabitha Leighton arrived 11.7.08, 7 lbs 1 oz, 19 in
    And our lives are forever changed...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LisaDiane View Post
    That's only for ER (extended release). I assumed that the OP was referring to regular met, since most people have more trouble with it.
    I've learned never to assume. Yes, it is for the extended release and FWIW many cysters have just as much trouble with the ER as with the regular. I'm one of them.

Thanks

I was afraid of food the first two-three weeks on Met. No matter what I ate, I had bad GI side effects. Then, it all got better by the beginning of the forth week. I had a break of several days... and then my entire belly got really big (in one day). Like everything inside was swollen, extremely bloated. I couldn't eat for almost 2 days, only drank tea and coffee, and some yougurt. Then I've tried to take some Primadophilus capsules (it's a blend of probiotic bacteria), it helped within one day!
    In my opinion (and I'm sorry if it's gross), but I think that the initial diarheea can lead to a removal of good bacteria in the GI tract, thus it could be necessary to take some probiotics. Simple yougurts couldn't help me at all this time around. Just my 2 cents.
    My breakfast: old fashion oatmeal, ground flaxseed, some raisins for sweetness. Cottage cheese - to add some protein.
    And lots of coffee!!!
    after 2 hours: a banana, or two apples. Or some cheese.
    Lunch: turkey sandwich and a salad. Coffee!!!
    after 2-3 hours: a yougurt, some crackers (whole wheat), a peach or plum. Or nuts (I love nuts).
    Dinner: rice or veggies with salmon / chicken.

That's my menu that doesn't give me much problems right now. But I'm taking Met for almost 2 months now, so it's normal that all major GI problems should subside.
    Struggling with this (f...) PCOS, will try and do whatever it takes to get healthy!
    If you don't have hope, you have nothing! Hidden Content

Metfromin (1700 mg)

Synthroid (150 mg)
    Fish oil, Flaxseed Oil, Saw Palmetto, Vit. A & Vit. E, Milk Thistle
    true Low Carb Diet (resisted only 3 months), yeap it wasnt' easy for me
    Have tried Cinnamon (2000 mg), but I can't tell if it works
    In summary, I need a MIRACLE!