Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default How does Metformin Interact with Caffeine?

I'm taking 1500mg of Metformin HCI and I drink about 5 cups of green tea a day which contains about 30mg of caffeine per cup. I've read that caffeine can cause interactions with different medications and I'm wondering if anyone knows what exactly it does to interfere with metformin. Does caffeine affect metformin's effectiveness? Of course I plan on calling the pharmacist later, I was just wondering if anyone knew off hand what the interaction was or at least could offer me a reliable site which explains why I should or shouldn't have caffeine with metformin.
    Metformin 1500 mg/day, women's daily multivitamin, B-100 complex, vitex

Thanks
    Blog Entries

www.medscape.com/druginfo/druginterchecker
    http://www.greentealibrary.com/Green...teractions.htm

Here are a couple of links that I found. I am a big ice tea drinker and haven't noticed any problems since taking metaformin. I have read that caffeine can decrease your insulin sensitivity but isn't green tea low in caffeine?
    Last edited by wachee; 07-09-2010 at 09:51 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Michelle-43 and Billy-45
    I went off all meds and feel so much better.
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I'm still new to this but am a big coffee drinker so I hope it's not on the no-no list. As an aside though green tea can depleat your folic acid absorbtion which would be a problem if you are TTC. I am a green tea lover too but did stop drinking it for TTC.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I called the pharmacist and he says caffeine doesn't interact with metformin but may cause stomach upset. I did read a study on the effects of metformin combined with caffeine when given to lab rats and they found that it further decreased blood glucose concentrations. I drink green tea because it's supposed to help protect the liver from NAFLD, which I have, and I was taking milk thistle before but green tea is more affordable. I didn't know it depleted folic acid absorption though. Hmm...seems like there are no ill effects to using anything but in this case where I'm not TTC at the moment the benefits outweigh the risks.
    Metformin 1500 mg/day, women's daily multivitamin, B-100 complex, vitex

Thanks

I've actually found that a cup of coffee helps settle my stomach in the morning. Maybe that's just because I love coffee, but it definitely hasn't caused physical side effects. As for how it may affect the effectiveness of the medication, I don't know. You should check with your doctor.

Thanks

Caffeine is, as a general rule, a bad idea for ppl with IR. There are multiple Type 2 diabetes Web sites that I have found, including one from the Mayo clinic, that describe caffeine's destabilizing effects upon blood sugar. We're not necessarily diabetic, but it's good to know! I have been drinking decaffeinated tea (not green) when I want a hot beverage in the morning ... there's a vanilla comoro that's just heavenly!
    Dx PCOS Aug. 2009
    Recovering from bulimia after 13 years of illness! I chose to live!

Metformin 2000 mg / BeYaz / Wellbutrin XL 450 mg / Tricor 145 mg / Synthroid 25 mcg

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. - Hellen Keller

Hidden Content