Praying for Perseverance SweetestTara's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Vitex for non-stop period?

I know that a lot of women have had success using Vitex to start their periods. I am currently going on my second month of moderate bleeding (not spotting but actual period like bleeding). This is common for me, and is the reason I was diagnosed w/ PCOS in my teens.

Has anyone used Vitex to regulate their cycle when long periods were the problem? Was there any success?

I'm getting pretty tired of having a period.
    Hidden Content Tara

Married October 2006
    It's a Girl, born November 17th!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I am bumping this back up in hopes that someone has a shared experience.
    Hidden Content Tara

Married October 2006

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

How often do you have a period? When I'd go 6+ months w/out a period, I'd have 1 to 2 month periods that were obscenely heavy. When I started Provera to induce periods on a regular basis (that was the plan anyway) I had one or two 2 wk periods that were very heavy and then down to 7 days or less once the periods were somewhat more regulated. At the time I started the Provera last year, I tried Vitex for about a month at the same time, so I couldn't tell you if that had anything to do with easing the flow. I also had a D&C done to check for a uterine polyp, which allowed my doctor to remove built up lining that even the Provera wasn't able to help shed. I had stopped taking Vitex & restarted it a month ago. I just finished up my period two days ago, and it was only 5 days w/maybe one or 2 very, very small clots.

Thanks

This is my first period since my pregnancy and after I stopped breastfeeding, so I'm not really sure. Before that, I was on BCP. When I was first diagnosed, it was because I would have 3 months off my period, then 2 months on. I'm currently going into my second month for this period, so I'm wondering if I will be looking at the same kind of cycle as I had as a teen.

My insurance put an elimination rider on PCOS, so I would like to try to lose weight and regulate it more naturally. Additionally, I just do not want to go on the BCP. I'm not sure why I'm so against it. I think because I want to try to get better and I can't tell about what is going on while I'm on the pill.

So you feel like the vitex might have helped shorten this period? I'm going to give it a shot anyway. When I was 13 and bleeding all the time, it had less of an effect on my life. I guess I just didn't know any better
    Hidden Content Tara

Married October 2006

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I'm not sure if it's the vitex alone or the combination of PCOS treatment over the past 11 months. I know the flow changed significantly after the D&C, most probably because of how much tissue my doctor had to remove, so there's nowhere near the build up that had been there. As far as prescriptions, I'm on Metformin XR, Actos & Phentermine and then for supplements, fiber, Inositol, Choline, Vitex, Biotin & a prenatal vitamin (the Rainbow Light Complete system which has everything but the kitchen sink in it), since I'm TTC. I've also lost 44 lbs in the last year, so that may also have helped. If you're done breastfeeding, I don't see why you couldn't take vitex for a test run to help your period. It's supposed to regulate your cycle, so I don't see why it couldn't help reduce your periods. I'd think having a period every month instead of every 3 would probably help reduce the duration. I know that you're supposed to give the vitex some time to work, at least a few months. If that doesn't help, you could talk to your doctor about doing something to induce a period on a regular basis, generic progesterone (which is available at Walmart for $4 w/out insurance) for example but some women prefer to use more natural progesterone options. The progesterone isn't BCP, but just taken for approx. 1 to 2 weeks (depending on what your doctor thinks) and your period should begin sometime after you stop - usually within 2 days for me but it does vary & my doc recommended I take it at night as it might make you sleepy. I hope you find something that helps because I remember all too well how the novelty of actually getting a period wore off when the period never seemed to want to leave. I've tried every pad & tampon & and slept w/towels under me until this year. :-)

BTW, congrats on your baby girl!

Thanks

i had a similar prob with vitex,when i was using it,i bled for 2mths straight until i had to stop it,then d bleeding reduced,vitex dont work for everyone i think

Thanks

Vitex didn't help me at all, but my problem was polyps. I think that if it's purely hormonal vitex might help, but when there are structural problems a more aggressive approach is needed.

Thanks

I started taking Vitex in March and in April I got a peroid and have had one every month since. My cycles are 5-6 days and moderate bleeding. It's a wonderful thing for me

Thanks
    Blog Entries

SweetestTara,

Have you started taking the Vitex and how has it worked if you have?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I recently started taking vitex and the reason well one of the reasons i started it was because I was having period-like bleeding (it wasnt heavy but enough to wear a pad) and it stopped within 24 hrs of taking it. Everyone is different though but this is my experience hope this helps and hopefully if u decide to try it you get the results you want
    DX'd: 5/18/09 PCOS and Hypothyroid
    Melisa (24)
    No longer TTC
    Current Meds: Metformin (2000mg), Synthroid(50mcg)
    Current Supplements: Femaprin, Prenatal, Magnesium, Insoitol, Multi-vitamin, Royal Jelly
    Cheri's reading is saying AUGUST/GIRL (We shall see)
    Current Weight: 228 S/T: 200 L/T: 170 58 lbs to go!!!

Thanks

Hi Ladies, I know this is an old thread, but I just started taking Vitex today, I have PCOS and non stop bleeding, occasionally it would stop for few days and come back to stay for weeks and sometimes months at the time... MissLady, did you have any luck with Vitex? anyone had any luck? i'm not overweight and I eat pretty healthy 90% of the time. I don't want to try the pill, as it does not agree with me.

Thank you