Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default How do some women conceive with low progesterone?

I am just so totally confused right now!! I have been doing some research and found that many women conceive with a progesterone level less than 10, one lady had a level of 5.6 at 7dpo and got pregnant. My progesterone level has been about 7.9 at 7dpo, but I can't seem to get pregnant again at this level. I am wondering, is it because these women have a normal LP that they can conceive with such low levels. My LP is only 10 days sometimes 11, could this be why I haven't been able to conceive? Could someone explain this to me, because I am a little confused.
    Cindi(32) John(33) been hitched for 6yrs
    Momma to Lillyan Grace born 01/06/09 at 41wks
    went to heaven 01/12/09 with Jesus

Momma to Peighton Nicole born Dec. 24th 2011 at 34wks
    5lbs 2oz 18 inches
    Hidden Content

Thanks

As I understand it, low progesterone doesn't cause you not to conceive so much as it causes miscarriage - some so early you'd really never know you were pregnant.

A short LP will also inhibit your chances, however. You can take a B supplement which may help. I have a long LP, so I'm not much of an expert in this area, though...I'm sure you'll get more info from someone else.

Good luck ttc!

Thanks

my dr always had me take prometrium suppositories 3 days post ovulation and right now I am doing progesterone shots.

Also some women do a natural progesterone cream.
    Kara (31) DH (35) DS 5/31/08

IVF w/ICSI & AH:
    July 4th: BFP!! 8dp3dt
    Oct 11th: 18wks confirmed 2 boys!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry about the difficulties with low progesterone. My sister lost 2 babies, at 4 weeks and 6 weeks, and that is how she found out about PCOS. After doing some tests, they said her losses were due to low progesterone, so in her case, it didn't prevent her from conceiving, but obviously was still a big problem. Her 1st pregnancy after getting on Metformin was successful. I don't know what any of her progesterone levels actually were.

It's hard to say whether the low progesterone is the cause or effect of pregnancy loss. My RE believes that a good egg/ovulation will yield enough progesterone to sustain the pregnancy. So does that mean that other factors are inhibiting ovulation from being as good as it should be? I don't know.
    TTC #1 for 20 months / TTC #2 for 5 months
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve (No PCOS)
    May 2010 - Natural BFP! Connor was born Feb. 11, 2011 (40 weeks 5 days): 8 lb 8 oz, 22 in.
    Dec 2011 - Natural BFP! Ben was born Aug. 10, 2012 (40 weeks): 8 lb, 10 oz, 21 in.

Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Dairy-free and soy-free for 8 months to breastfeed. Ben got BM for 1 year, 1 month, and 17 days!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't think that doctors really know. I think they are just making an educated guess, because so many have different views on the subject. We are in the process of moving, so were are thinking of taking a break for a couple of months. Because the confusion of not knowing and the stress of ttc has been too much for me. But it will happen. My sis called a few minutes ago and just about made me cry in a good way. She said that her and her husband want to pay for IVF if that's what we decide to do eventually. I told her that was so sweet of her, but I haven't even tried clomid yet, so let's wait and see Knowing that we have such great support in all of this ttc, makes me feel blessed.
    Cindi(32) John(33) been hitched for 6yrs
    Momma to Lillyan Grace born 01/06/09 at 41wks
    went to heaven 01/12/09 with Jesus

Momma to Peighton Nicole born Dec. 24th 2011 at 34wks
    5lbs 2oz 18 inches
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Who knew making a baby was such a complicated act?!
    Me (35) DH (35)
    Married 11/11/95
    TTC off and on since then

Did Clomid in 2001 4-6 months no AF
    Went back to school
    Met-1000 mg
    June 08 Clomid-100mg
    Aug.08 Clomid 100mg
    Sept. 08 Clomid 150mg
    Oct. 08 Clomid 200mg
    all BFN, no temp hike, no AF so probably no O
    Break for 2 years...Time running out?
    Went to RE May 2010
    DH--SA Ok
    HSG-Ok
    May 2010 Clomid challenge 100 mg no dom. follies No AF
    Currently inducing AF then 1st round of FemeraHidden Content

Thanks

I actually just came on to post this same question. I was wondering about this too. My doc also says that low progesterone is related to poor ovulation or poor egg quality. But I see quite a few women on here that have had successful pregnancies with low progesterone, they just used supplements. I did get a BFP this month and at 6dpo my progesterone was only 7. At 15 dpo my progesterone was only 9. I have been using premetrium since 6 dpo. It does make me feel like this pregnancy is doomed though. If my doc is right and the low progesterone is related to poor egg quality, that means I will miscarry. Especailly since I don't always have low progesterone. Last cycle it was in the 20s on it's own.
    Mari (30), DH (38), One son, Andrew, born in Jan 2007
    M/C Nov 2009
    Dx PCOS in Jan 2010. TTC since Aug 2009
    Metformin 1000 mg, prenatals, Vitamin D, Folgard, baby aspirin, Lovenox
    M/C Aug 8th @ 7.5 weeks. Diagnosed with Homozygous MTHFR. TTC again w/Lovenox
    Natural BFP on 10/2/2010. Beta = 131 @ 13 dpo, 16 @ 472 @ H/B on 10/25 = 119 bpm Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Have my first pumpkin! winddrop's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

My RE believes that progesterone levels are directly related to a poor ovulation I would think there are various levels between a "poor" ovulation and a "strong" ovulation. The think the worse the ovulation the shorter the LP. I also have low progesterone and a short lp. My progesterone levels seems to drop at 7DPO (along with my temp) so when I go to do the P4 they have always been really low. To the point that the RE says I didn't O. But then why did my temps go and stay at post O temps for those 6 days?

The quality of the egg is effected by our off hormones. So when the met regulates insulin, our hormones should start to fall back into place. At this point our egg quality should improve. I'm not sure exactly how the B6/B12 improves LP, but it can't hurt. I'm taking Met (insulin under control now) and Femaprin (includes 100mg B6) and a B12. This cycle I have seen an improvement from an earlier O day to a longer LP. Every morning I wake up and take my temp and pray that I will at least have it stay up until 12DPO. I've never gotten a 2ww, usally between 8-10. GL!
    Kari (37), DH (36)Hidden Content ; TTC#2 9/13
    DS 11/2011
    Meds: Met, Synthrod
    *Detailed past treatment history in profile

Such stuff as dreams... Katie_Lucey's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,945 Times in 2,271 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marijoy View Post
    I actually just came on to post this same question. I was wondering about this too. My doc also says that low progesterone is related to poor ovulation or poor egg quality. But I see quite a few women on here that have had successful pregnancies with low progesterone, they just used supplements. I did get a BFP this month and at 6dpo my progesterone was only 7. At 15 dpo my progesterone was only 9. I have been using premetrium since 6 dpo. It does make me feel like this pregnancy is doomed though. If my doc is right and the low progesterone is related to poor egg quality, that means I will miscarry. Especailly since I don't always have low progesterone. Last cycle it was in the 20s on it's own.

How are you using the prometrium? Suppositories? If so its not going to make your # in your blood work go up- although it will work where it needs to in your uterus since its a very localized way to get progesterone in there it does not get into your blood stream. Your HCG numbers are rising beautifully so I would not worry about this yet. Stick with the protocol and watch those HCG numbers- those are the most important numbers right now.
    Katie (32) Patrick ( 33)
    M/C: 02/01*10/10*03/12*04/12
    August 2011- Connor was born
    February 2013- Jackson was born
    We are overwhelmingly blessed!
    Hidden Content