Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Lightbulb TIRED OF POOPING!! Help

I've been taking Metformin 1000mg for several months now and I've even stopped them in between months on rare occasion for a few days/weeks or whatever due to outside circumstances.

My point being that I'm constantly in the bathroom pooping!! I mean...when I first began the pills, I expected some pooping, diarrhea, etc etc....but then after a few weeks it mellowed out. And so whenever I've quit them and began again, I would do the whole poop thingie for several days until it calmed down again.

This last time I started back on my met (say around 1 1/2 months ago) I've been pooping like crazy and it's like the crap just won't stop --no pun intended. It got on my nerves so badly that I cut back to just one pill a day, but then when I do 2 pills again there's more F****** POOP!

Is it something I'm eating that's causing me to live in my restroom? I mean, on the one hand I know I need Met to regulate my IR but on the other hand some days I forget to take it. Just so you know there have been days where I completely forgot to take the meds....I'm just not a medicine taker. Any help or advice will be welcomed. Thanks.

Thanks

These symptoms are common with this medication. But, they are usually prevented by starting the drug at a low dose and titrating it up. Did you do that, or did you start with a high dose initially? Also, if you take the medication with a high carb meal, this can cause the side effect your are describing. Keep in mind, one of the ways metformin works is by decreasing the intestinal absorption of glucose--AKA carbs. So, if you take it with a high carb meal, those carbs have to go somewhere because you aren't absorbing as much of them. So, instead of being absorbed, you are pooping them out excessively.

Waiting for a miracle sirrefarual's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

it could be high carbs. hard to say. i have that issue sometimes. if i eat real greasy food. i am currently on 1500mg / day and this past week i cut down my dose a bit and maybe missed a day or two because i forgot to fill my prescription again and didnt have the money to fill it right away. i got the s***s horribly for a bit cuz of it. but when i stay on my dose consistently i dont really have that issue.

Hidden Content Joel and Laura Hidden Content
    Married 10/21/2012

Furbaby: Blaze

Thanks

I felt the same way you did. I had been taking 2500mg of Metformin for about a year and had terrible diarrhea. Last week I went to the doctors and he prescribed me a newer type of metformin called Fortamet. Its a metformin hcl extended release. Instead it absorbs in they upper gi instead the lower digestion. It has been working great for me still has the same affect as regular metformin. The only issue is that its a little bit more expensive then metformin because its does not have a generic brand.
    Let life multiply for all of us.....

Thanks

I'm currently on Janumet and have the same issue. I have to go more than 5 times a day. I def. think it's the medicine for me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You may want to see if you can decrease your fiber too. I go once to twice a day with met
    Hidden Content
    2004 -O'ed, bfp, M/C @ 20 weeks
    2006 -TTC - FAIL
    2007 -clomidX3-FAIL
    2008 -PCOS - met 1000
    2010 July/Aug - IVF 44 eggs, 17 frozen-> 5 embryos. 1 Xfer BFN 8/30Hidden Content
    Acu + FET 10/27 - 2 snowbabies!
    11/2- BFP! (hpt)
    Betas: 49, 156, 1369
    EDD July 15th, Graduating from RE on Dec 21!!
    Hidden Content
    You can also follow me Hidden Content

Thanks

I learned to avoid carbs like the plague, because they made me poo fiercely. I pretty much stick to an Atkins diet with lots of veggies and lean proteins.

It took me about 6 weeks for my tummy to settle down when I first started, also! I'm also on the XR version, which appears to make a difference ...
    Dx PCOS Aug. 2009
    Recovering from bulimia after 13 years of illness! I chose to live!

Metformin 2000 mg / BeYaz / Wellbutrin XL 450 mg / Tricor 145 mg / Synthroid 25 mcg

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. - Hellen Keller

Hidden Content

Thanks

Yes, my doctor started me out on 1 pill a day and then I went up to 2 pills a day so I know that's not the problem, but I think it's what I'm eating; though I never realized this before. I always just took Met and figured I could eat whatever I wanted. Back in April, my boyfriend and I had begun a new eating regiment and had begun a new workout plan at a local gym; however after a month I quickly realized it was more costly trying to buy healthier foods and so I went back to what I know: chickens, pork chops, koolaid, tea, and spaghetti and etc. That's the stuff I've been eating my whole life.

Thanks

That would be my biggest challenge and constant struggle: Learning to change what I eat. I'm very hard of changing that because of what I like to eat and taste. My Gyno took me off every kind of drinking liquid except water back in December and I was due for a check up in February to see if I'd lost another 12lbs and was doing the whole water and no breads deal.....ha!
    If anything, my body went stupid on sodas and the like and I even though I usually don't consume breads often; I at least picked up my consumption of them slightly.

I feel sorta bad because I know when I finally do go back for my checkup...she'll be pretty disappointed in me. In fact, I had even lost about 10lbs and was down to 194 but one month off Met (couldn't afford to get prescription filled) and I gained EVERY single pound back. Kinda got depressed about it and decided F*** it! That's kinda been my attitude ever since so that may be the reason why I don't pay attention to taking the Met on a regular basis; some days I take it if I remember...other days I don't. Just depends.

Thanks

i feel the same way..i hate the bathroom now

Thanks

greasy foods - avoid like the plague.

i am a vegetarian and find that if i dont eat too much greasy foods i am ok. I dont lose weight, but i also dont need to go to the loo 14 times a day either!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Leopassion - I totally feel your pain. My grocery bill doubled when I started eating healthy and then increased again when I started taking met. I struggled with compliance for 2 years before I was able to take it regularly. Unfortunately the drug doesn't work well if you don't take it appropriately. When I would stop taking it - I got insane cravings and ate crap. Get this - I never had cravings before I started met When I first started - I literally had 4 straight months of diarrhea and painful gas. I wasn't sure I wanted to commit to my life being that way. I also couldn't tolerate cellulose - so salads were a no-go too! How can you possibly be eat out in this country if you can't eat salads!

What made it work for me was going on a diabetic diet for 60 days. I took every dose I was supposed to. I started having a better tolerance for met and even some naughtier foods here and there. For example -if i ate a good breakfast and dinner - I could sneak a doughnut at lunch or a slice of pizza here and there and not get the runs. But 95 % of what I ate was sugar free, whole grain,grilled/broiled, low fat, non-fried, low sodium, and generally fresh - unpackaged foods. I was able to get my tolerance of the meds to a point I could live with.

It's a lifestyle change and not an easy one - but the payoff is great. After all if it goes unchecked you can end up developing type II diabetes - and then you'll have to take medications to stay alive - and pooping will be the least of your concerns
    Hidden Content
    2004 -O'ed, bfp, M/C @ 20 weeks
    2006 -TTC - FAIL
    2007 -clomidX3-FAIL
    2008 -PCOS - met 1000
    2010 July/Aug - IVF 44 eggs, 17 frozen-> 5 embryos. 1 Xfer BFN 8/30Hidden Content
    Acu + FET 10/27 - 2 snowbabies!
    11/2- BFP! (hpt)
    Betas: 49, 156, 1369
    EDD July 15th, Graduating from RE on Dec 21!!
    Hidden Content
    You can also follow me Hidden Content

Thanks

I took Met 3 times a day, and seriously every time I go to the washroom, I poop too! Even when you think you just have to pee, sure enough the metformin Sh*ts kick in. Spicy foods were the worst, but any meal slightly larger than I should eat got my tummy rumbling. Only eating a 1/2 a pan full of bran muffins can help. Seriously though, I would eat 6 bran muffins at once just for the few hours of sweet relief! I was so pumped last week when my RE said I could go off of it, but I cannot BELIEVE the food cravings and how ravenously hungry I am after stopping it! I have even gained 4 lbs!

Met is cheap enough that I just want to go back on it so I don't eat myself out of house and home and gain 1000lbs!

Thanks

FlowerChica- Since stopping met I have been eating complete garbage, eating WAY too much and I feel hungry all the time! I wasn't sure what it was from until I read your post and you have the same experience! I also have ZERO energy!

Thanks

Even worse (MEGA TMI)...

I thought I had to fart and crapped in the shower. I have hit new depressing lows while on Metformin.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to amy4sail For This Useful Post:

dawnkeyotie (03-10-2014)