Thread: Dizzy Driving

Thanks

Default Dizzy Driving

Has anyone had problems with feeling dizzy and getting motion sickness feelings while driving? Not while being a passenger, but actually driving. About a year ago I had such problems that I couldn't drive at all. Then they subsided...maybe from starting the met? (I'm four months in now). However, I'm still on met, and randomly these problems are back. I get so disoriented that I become panicky as well which is really horrid to deal with. Just wondering if any other cysters have had to deal with this and what to do to manage the symptoms??

Thanks!

Registered User blinktwiceforme's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sometimes I get dizzy or get an upset stomache and headache from driving... but I've noticed that it has more to do with my stress levels than what medcines I'm on, and then it gets worse because I'm scared because I'm dizzy and driving a car...

So what I do, is I pull over right away so I don't scare myself, and I usually keep some water in the car so I can sip it for a moment and clear my head before driving again. If it's really bad, I'll call someone to come drive for me.

Thanks

I have actually just noticed that lately I always have a bottle of water with me. It's like my comfort for when I start to feel dizzy and out of control. I do the same thing you were saying, whether I'm driving or in any other situation, I have to take a step back from everything, drink some water, clear my mind, take a deep breath, calm down, and then move on.

Thanks

OMG! For the past year, I have been having people take me to work, and shopping! Last year in November I was on my way to work and got so dizzy, I thought I would pass out. Had to roll the window down, calm myself, made it to work and back home, but freaked me out. Since I have noticed it in stores, like as I'm focusing on something and look up I get dizzy, start to get hot. I have been to ear dr, everything is fine. I have tried paxil, zoloft, and klonopin because of course when they can't find something on their tests it has to be because you are full of anxiety and panic ;o) I have been off medicine for two weeks now, and have made minimal journeys in my car, but always with someone. I go to endochronologist tomorrow for the pcos part. I hope this is related, because I want to be back in my car and feel independant again, but when you feel like your world is moving when you are suppose to be stopped it is quite freaky. I am glad to know I'm not the only one going through this. It happens during a short mile drive also. I would love to give you some cure all, but it still happens to me even on short 1 mile drives :o( I always drink lots of water, and I try to sing to get my mind somewhere else which helps alittle.

Thanks

This might be totally unrelated to your post but I had to try. I was trying to post a new thread but since I am a newbie on here I have to wait a little while longer before posting. I was diagnosed with PCOS in Sept 02. Had a my first child in March 08. We have been trying for the past 6 months or so. Two sets of ovulation test each month and not one single test showed that I was ovulating. We have really stopped trying b/c I meet with my OB in two more weeks for a consult. Ok, here it goes, I have been having headaches every day for one week. LMP Aug 19 and it was a normal period. Began feeling really nauseaous on this past saturday, I was dizzy off and on for two straight days, had a little brownish stuff, then a little bleeding. Never bright red blood. I have since taken 4 different pregnancy test and each time I get a faint positive result! I also had a HCG test done today at my OB (will not get results until tomorrow). I want to get excited but I don't know if I am really pregnant or just getting positive results because of my really out of whack hormone levels and recent steriods injections for severe exzema. Any suggestions? I will gladly accept any feedback. I am feel like I am going out of my mind worrying and waiting.

Thanks

LAlittle- WOW, I just had to read your post to my mom because so many of the symptoms you describe sound just like me...even though I already know I'm not alone on this pcos rollercoaster, it's comforting to hear about someone who has symptoms so specifically close to my own to make me reeeally feel like I'm not alone!

For a little over a year now, I have had incredible difficulties going into big stores. Like you said, for so long my docs told me it was just anxiety because they couldn't find the problem. But I have like a chain of events that goes down. Ususally it starts with looking down and then up too quickly, or to the side and then back too quickly, like you were describing. Then sometimes I can't really get my eyes to focus on things and my brain to process them...I call this sensory overload. Then I begin getting super hot, and last but not least, the heat brings on the dizziness (I, too, often get the feeling that I am moving when I know I am not). Because of all of this I have probably only gone to the store alone twice in the past year. I can't really go clothing shopping because I get overheated so easily. I just know that at some point I'm going to become dizzy and I can't bear the thought of being alone when that happens because I am so scared of passing out. It totally sucks.

Here are the three things that make it possible for me to venture out shopping: 1) The support and company of my mom or boyfriend, 2) Holding on to a shopping cart for stability in stores - it just makes me fell more secure knowing that when I do get dizzy at the very back of target without somewhere to sit down, i will have something to hold onto and lean on, and 3) A little tiny fan I found at walmart for like a buck that fits in my purse and really helps me cool down.

Ok, I know this is a super long post, but I also just want to mention that I have just recently found out that my problems are part pcos and part idiopathic intracranial hypertension (aka pseudo tumor cerebri or benign idiopathic hypertension). I had what they called vertigo and migraines, but my symptoms were not responding to any treatments. I was seeing a neurologist and he suggested a spinal tap, which showed elevated pressure, leading to this diagnosis. If you don't find any successful treatment, this could be something you might want to look into...although I have been told it is quite rare.

Good luck, and keep us all updated on your progress!

scchick02- hello and welcome to SC! I've gotta tell you though, I know nothing about PCOS and the baby making department. I'm not at that point in my life yet. But, you may want to surf around some more, I know there are many TTC and mommy boards on SC. Good luck to you!

I hope you get your dream lovemychris's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

DLuLu2, so after your doctor found out the cause of your dizziness, were you treated? If so, how? I've had dizziness the past 2+ years (started out of nowhere) and it comes and goes. It definitely is not caused by anxiety...I typically feel the dizziness (I feel off-kilter, like maybe a touch of vertigo) and that causes me to panic a little...but the panic doesn't come first. I've noticed that it's much more pronounced when I am taking met. Also, for what it's worth, I have hypothyroidism (I've read there's a connection).

I seem to fit the symptoms of labrynthitis and maybe you other ladies do as well; Wiki has a good article about it. My dizziness doesn't occur while driving.

Also, DLuLu2, was your spinal tap painful?

Thanks.
    Lynn 35, dh-Chris 43, ds-Cody 16, dsd-Brielle 11
    Hypothyroid, Uterine Septum

Hidden Content

Thanks

lovemychris, I have had the exact same difficulties as you, with describing my dizziness to doctors. They all presume that it is a figment of anxiety, and completely dismiss me when I try to explain that the dizziness actually precedes any anxiety I may have.

Also, since being diagnosed with idiopathic intracranial hypertension, I have seen a slight improvement in my dizziness, but I'm not "cured" by any means. I am taking acetazolamide (brand name diamox) for that. I started treatment just over a month ago. I am now taking 1500mg/day, in a week I will bump up to 2000mg/day. My neurologist tells me there's room to go up to 4000mg if needed and if I can tolerate side effects. Other than that there are a few other drugs I guess we can try or *cringe* surgical options, but I am a ways away from that point.

I have also read up about labyrinthitis! I have almost all of the symptoms but up until now have had no luck with any docs taking me seriously on that front. For now it's kind of on my back burner...if current avenues don't cure the dizzy, I will be sure to go back to that angle.

The spinal tap itself isn't painful at all. They do a really good job of numbing you up. The worst part of the actual procedure is that you do feel them shoving the needle in your spine...it's like a pressure feeling. So no pain, it's just strange feeling them poking into you..but at least with a spinal tap they are working on your back so you can't see what they are doing or the big awful needle they use!

For me, however, I ended up with the "spinal headache" that some patients experience after the procedure. I was bedridden for four days after the procedure, because with the headache simply being vertical at all is so painful...those were like the worst four days of my life. However, I then went in for the "blood patch" procedure where they inject your own blood back into the site where they withdrew the fluid, and that took care of the headache.

I hope this helps...sorry I'm so long winded!